mechanical trim indicator

BASS BUM

i am getting ready to order a stainless marine mechanical trim indicator for my 03. where is the best place to locate it in the dash? i am thinking of installing it horizontally
where the in dash light is now on the left side of the steering wheel. any advice would be appreciated.

thanks mark

BASS BUM

Chad, thanks for your reply, 1 last question. when you brought your cable out the back did you come out the existing hole for the hoses or did you drill another hole?

thanks mark

BASS BUM

thanks for your help guy's

i had a 225 pm on the boat since it was new in 2000 and just recently repowered with an 03 280 ss. i am finding out their is a new learning curve with the new power and a stock sportmaster lower unit. i had a torque master with a jc conversion on the pm and i believe their is a big differance in handling. the trim gauge should at least let me know where i am at.

thanks again for the info
mark

hullbilly

Just posting as a possible alternative, although chad's installation, and others, are extremely clean.

My main 2 objectives were: 1. In direct line of sight for racing purposes & 2. I did not want to saw the big hole.

Good luck!

Bob Ant

Mine is exactly like Hullbilly's. I added little marks on my guage so I know instantly where the motor is perpendicular to bottom and 2 degrees out, the sweet spot.

Bob Ant.

BASS BUM

hey bob
i will be looking forward to finding my new sweet spot with this new motor. you all have a definite advantage at the elevation you run at. the elevation where i run my boat is approx 4350'. that makes for about a 12 to 18% power loss. the air is fairly thin here. my team tournament fishing partner and good friend stroker dean has the same issues with his 300xs. not too many people know how to deal with altitude.
thanks for your reply, mark

Last edited:

bringit

look over the windsheild on hullbillys boat and look at that sweet blue allison,ha ha ha ha ha gotcha mark,see ya shawn

whipper

hey bob
i will be looking forward to finding my new sweet spot with this new motor. you all have a definite advantage at the elevation you run at. the elevation where i run my boat is approx 4350'. that makes for about a 12 to 18% power loss. the air is fairly thin here. my team tournament fishing partner and good friend stroker dean has the same issues with his 300xs. not too many people know how to deal with altitude.
thanks for your reply, mark
Hey Mark your up there at 4300ft!! Im at 2300-2600 hear and ya it sure makes a differants. I tightened my heads to 33CC to run more of a stock comprestion. I was down 10-15 PSI over stock sea level PSI at 123. I managed to get around 134 cold at 2300ft now. That feels more like it when I run were I live and when I venture down south at around the 800-1200ft elevations I realy notice a big differance pulling. I didnt want to get much more than were Im at so when I go south Im not over 140 for fuel reasons. Just a thought with that 280 ya might give Jay a Call and ask him what CC will bring your PSI to normal levels. I also had to go why lean on the ACU because of the thinner air. I fattened up the Fuel to copensate for the heads. It all worked out great!! Now Im running more like a stock 225 with these mods to compensate for the elevation. I played with this for a a long time to get it right! James

BASS BUM

hey whipper,

sorry i didn't get back to you reply sooner, been fish en and a running more than watching the computer. i did talk to jay before i bought this motor and he let me in on a few things that could be done including his bullet proof build that he does on these. i decided i am going to run it like it is for a season and see how she acts. i know for sure i need to run a hydromotive prop instead of the trophy i have now and also i will be more than likely sending off my lower unit to have an allison cut put on it come winter time. i sure appreciate your info

thanks mark