My 10yr old got even!!!

RedAllison

He dun it, yesterday morning my 10yr old Stanton got even with the 8ptr that gave us the slip Wed. morning. We hunted another stand about 1/2 mile away and sure enough the same 8ptr that gave him the slip Wed morning came by the new spot we were in and this time his luck ran out!!! :wink

Another perfect shot with the little .243Wby by my son and we watched the buck go down as he cleared the edge of the foodplot. I've always been a KICK EM HARD magnum afficianado but after seeing my boys whack em and stack em with their lil .243s loaded with 85grn Barnes Triple Shocks, I'm now looking at a superlight weight, easy to carry 24 for myself. The lil bullet sure does it's job when you put it where it counts.

So with this being his 3rd buck for the year, he's now done in TN. But he'll continue as in the county my farm is in we can shoot 3 does per day for each day of the season which runs thru the middle of Jan so there's plenty more smackin for him left to do this winter.

:beer:
RA

ps
LOL yep, once again he curled up in the corner of the stand to catch some zzz and told me to wake him when the action started. Now who's trainin who??? :confused:

Attachments

h2oskiier30

Hard to beat the all copper Barnes TSX's. I shot the old Barnes X-bullet for years in my .300 WinMag, now shoot the TSX's in my .257 WbyMag (100gr.). Complete pass-through on every shot, with a blood trail a blind man could follow if the deer doesn't go straight down.

patches

I used to load 180 gr X bullets in a 300 Wby Mag nearly twenty years ago when they first came out. I still say it's the hardest hitting bullet I've ever shot. Weight retention is second to none. Only one I ever recovered I'd shot a 200+ lb hog nearly lengthwise. Bullet entered right behind the head, broke the shoulder and continued on where I recovered it under the hide on the rump. If I remember right it weighed 168 grs after it lost two petals. The type of shooting I prefer now has moved me on from the X bullet but still think it's the baddest hunting bullet made

RedAllison

The X is all I will shoot anymore. When I got my Lazzeroni Warbird back in 99 I quickly fell in love with the Xs and they were the only 30cal that would stay together at 4,000fps (130grn). But being the original Xbullets they weren't as accurate as others (1.5" average at 100yds). But a couple years later the Triple Shock was released and WHALLA perfection had been attained. Dropped back to 150grn (appx 3800fps) and the group shrank to .5" at 100yds and 3.5" at 400yds. I've taken somewhere between 2 and 3 dozen whitetails, 1 muley and 1 antelope with the 150 TSX at distances between 25 and 400+yds. Animal weights from under 100#s too well over 200#s. No bullet has ever been recovered as I've never failed to get a complete pass-thru, even with double shoulder shots and several "TX heartshots" I've taken them over 300yds expecting the bullet to remain in the animals. Another big plus I always liked about the TSXs are they don't destroy meat. Even when ripping at nearly 4,000fps they never bruised or blew up meat. (Just had to be careful not to directly hit the shoulder bone or you'd have "bone schrapnel" from stem to stern) The various tipped bullets I've shot, including the "bonded" types fired from my 7mags still blew up more meat than the Xbullets ever thought about.

Several years ago before I began shooting the Xbullets I was quite fond of a copy, the Winchester Fail Safe. I sent a lot of deer too the big foodplot in the sky with 140 Fail Safes in my ol 7mag. Same experience with the Xs, complete passthrus regardless of distance, angle or animal size.

I'm tickled to death with the performance of the lil TSXs in my sons .243s. They really allow you to drop back in weight, gain velocity, flatter trajectory without giving up penetration and killing power. I used to handload but that was many years ago and before the Xbullets were ever really used east of the MS much. Who knows I might one day start reloading again, but for now everything I use is available "over the counter".

Just today I called around town looking for some more 85 TSXs for my boys .243s. One dealer had 2 boxes on his shelves. I rushed over to get them and then got to checkin his inventory. The only other calibers I was missing TSXs in was for my 7mags and .280. He had both in 140 TSXs so I snapped them up as well. :wink I even noticed on Federal's website they are now offering the Tipped Triple Shock in 110grn for the 30/06! :cuss THAT really stokes up the ol naught six. 3,400fps!!! For whitetails I can assure you that load will put the "mummy dust" on em like few others. I'm gonna hafta get a couple boxes for my 06s "just because". Brings "super 30 mags" velocity and trajectories within the realm of the trusty ol 06 without giving up penetration and terminal performance.

:big buck
RA

patches

My groups in the 300 Wby with the originals was about the same as your's. 1.5"

The little shooting I've done over the last few years is long range so light bullets are out. In long range shooting you generally shoot very heavy bullets for the caliber with high B.C.'s. I sold my rifle about a year ago but plan on building another this year. I was shooting 300 gr Matchkings 338 caliber at 2850. I generally hunt with a bow but not against hunting with a rifle.