My 10yr old keeps whackin em

RedAllison

Despite getting home at near midnight lastnight after a UofM Tigers basketball game in Memphis, my 10 year old and I headed out through the mud and rain today in search of his second buck.

With the reminants of a full moon still hanging on in the cloudy sky we could see just well enough to settle into the stand a good 15 minutes before "pink light" would wake the swamp and all her creatures. My son was catching some zzzz's as I kept sentinal from our two man ladder stand that overlooks a foodplot that I planted strategically in a 150yd funnel that lies between two oxbow lakes on our property. :wink (I've always found my greatest funnels via overhead photos and topography maps, saves years of guessing and watching and I just closed on this property on Oct. the 7th of this year.)

A few does shared their breakfast hour with us watching nearby. Then around 7:30am as I was scanning the swamp behind me I instantly saw a very nice set of white tines easing through the swampbrush 75 yds directly behind our stand. He was headed for a course that would bring him right out into a clearing beside our stand. I quickly got my son turned around in the stand and his .243 Weatherby at the ready.

I last saw the nice 8ptr turn 90 degrees and follow the woodline AWAY from us. :big buck That was the last we saw of him! :cuss A few minutes later a spike ambled across the clearing and seeing as my son put a spike down a few weeks ago during the juvie gunseason, today that lil buck would get a pardon.

My son was really checking his eyelids for cracks when I turned to see a buck walking across the foodplot towards us. I quickly counted 6 pts and then nudged sleeping beauty. His eyes popped open and he looked at me as to say, "Old man wth is your problem, can't you see I'm trying to get some much needed rest here?" But I quickly brought him back into reality when I asked him if he wanted to drop the 6ptr that was now standing 50yds away in our foodplot?"

He eased down, placed the lil Weatherby on the shooting rail and I asked him if he had it right where it was supposed to be? He assured me he did and I gave him the all clear... KABLAM!!! The lil .243 shattered the silent swamp. The buck went straight down. Struggled to make it 30yds across the plot on 3 legs and then went silent and still in some tall weeds. :cool

For someone that had never even fired anykind of weapon at a deer this time last month, the boy now has 2 bucks and 1 doe to his credit with no signs of slacking up anytime soon. (NO misses either!)

I wouldn't trade these times and experiences for the biggest buck in Canada,
RA

Attachments

Last edited:

Texas Dear

Congrats on getting another deer. Ain't it great when your children love the great outdoors. Hopefully they will pass it on down to their children.