My son got the 13pt & I got...

RedAllison

Between school, ball & "teenageness" my youngest son (15) wasn't able to bowhunt anymore after his opening morning hunt. I REALLY wanted him to get "first crack" @ the big 13pt I've been keeping tabs on since Aug. So I basically didn't bowhunt much this year either. (I think I went 2-3 other times & the whole time I kept wondering what I'd do if the 13 sauntered by my crossbow. So I made the decision to stay out of the stands & just prepare for the muzzleloader & gun seasons, as well as placed 9 cams around my property & checked them 2-3x a week just to see what bucks were utilizing what areas.

The weekend before last (Nov 7) was the opening day of muzldr season & my son was ready. (He had never hunted with a mzldr before) The timing for an approaching cool front Friday night before couldn't have been better timed! I placed my son in "the trophy hole" on our farm & I hunted a stand about a 1/2 mile away. At 7am I heard him cut loose with my Savage smokeless muzldr. The big bruiser stepped out only 25yds from my son. Despite shaking & his first true "adrenaline dump", he managed to put the 300grn Barnes right thru the bucks shoulder & the deer dropped 15yds from where it had been standing when hit.

At the processors scale the bucks live weight was 220#, the buck has 25" beams, a 20" spread, 5" bases, 13 storable points & he tapes 152.75" The game wardens were there as well & they aged the buck at 4.5yrs. (I knew he was via having photos & encounters with him since he was a 2.5yr old.)

Attachments

RedAllison

The next afternoon (Sun) I dropped this ancient SWAMPASAURUS @ 45yds. I think this is a buck I took pics of 3yrs ago that was a fully mature, 250# freakish 8pt then. Now he's 7.5-8.5+++? freakazoids that I'd been getting regular pics of since Aug. At the processors his live weight was 270#! His neck was 24" at its smallest circ. & his jaws reveal ALOT of age. I'll send his front teeth for professional ring aging. His trophy wasn't on his head, it was his grand old age & that brontosaurus sized body, VERY rare but not unheard of in my west TN river bottom swamp.

Attachments

RedAllison

One of the many pics I had of this swamp creature this fall. I had been avg getting pics 2-3 days a week at this particular crossing since Aug... until the week before mzldr opened. Suddenly he ceased crossing there anymore & I busted him 1/2 mile from that area. He was chasing a large, mature doe when he came by about 4:20pm Sun the 8th at 45yds.

Attachments