Nascar

Crazyoz

Banned
I do man but I missed the race. I aint got a clue what happened ESPN doesnt show alot of Nascar. Pisses me off, but they show alot of Tiger Woods and basket ball.

RedAllison

I just can't stomach "Naschit" anymore. To many pretty boy crybabies, to many silly rules, to much PC corporate boosheut and look at the stands they can't even fill up the seats anymore for most cup races. NASCAR will tell you, "It's the economy" when in actuality empty seats started occuring more than 2 years ago. The crap they've reduced the sport to is what has killed it. Alot of folks say NASCAR died in turn 4 at Daytona in '01 but personally I think that though "Big Bill" mighta retired in 1972, it was STILL "his baby" until he died in '92. The sport really took a nosedive for the true gearheads within the decade following that... :embarassed

I'd rather watch the 5 minute highlights during the newsclips. Watching a neon train run around in a circle for 3 hours at 190mph without anything happening but the last 10 laps IS truly boring. With the truckload of rediculous rules and that ludicrous "POS of Tomorrow" even the best driver has to swim with the school or be left behind. I enjoyed "chrome horns", running away from the pack and passing in the grass when possible. :wink

Only major motorsports I can watch anymore for the entire event is NHRA!!!
RA

hack02

I've been recording some of the F1 races and watching them on Sun. mornings. My favorite part is where the guy walks thru the pits checking out all the cars before the race. Those things are bad to the bone. When they fire one individual engine up you can tell just how radical they are. I'm not sure about hp this year but they routinely turn 17000 rpm and run 7 speed gearboxes and an average pit stop is around 6 seconds for a load of fuel and four tires and just a few seconds more if they have to change the front clip, which is a big wing looking thing this year. Also this year they have the option of running a hybrid power system that charges a battery pack whenever they put on the brakes and then they can push a button and they get an extra 80hp for about 6 seconds before it has to be charged again. If they don't want to run the system they can weigh less overall. After watching one of the F1 races I'll turn the TV over to a Nascar race and the cars look like theres a caution flag out during the whole race.
On a different note the World Superbike races are really good this year. Theres a guy named Ben Spies from Texas running the series for the first time and winning some races. The first American to win since 02 I think. He rides for the Yamaha factory team. Its cool to hear the difference between the V-Twin Ducati's and the inline four bikes like the Yamahas and Hondas. Even BMW has joined the fray this year.

John S

Hack, I agree with ya on the Formula 1 stuff, those things are wild as heyellya. I love watching the drivers view, them things pull some G'S. And I like how theyre willing to change, where NASCAR seems to stick to the old "its always worked before" method. I wish NASCAR would go to running like the outlaws, modifieds, etc, on friday night, running heats and mains. It would make the races much more interesting. I love the shootouts in Daytona, would only imagine it could be even better on a short track. It gets old watching hours of racing for only minutes of action.

Andy...Tony Stewart fan?? And I used to like you.....lol

RedAllison

Ducati's are AWESOME anyway!!! :beer:"2 wheeled Ferrari's". I've never considered a crotch rocket because they are so uncomfortable but if I were to ever get one it would for sure be a red, noisy, shiny Ducati. They are just "da chit".

F1 is truly an incredible format and always has been. Talk about technology and the future today! :surprised I haven't followed it much since the Ferrari/Schumacher days of a couple years ago. But I remember then they were complaining about the cost of teams, equipment and testing (some of the bigger teams had annual budgets that stretched well into the 9 DIGITS!!! :shock: ) I remember at the start of a race the car was actually launched by the crew chief as he stood behind the pit wall watching a bank of computers with more telemetry than the Space Shuttle and the motors would turn sometimes in excess of 24k RPM.

I wish NASCHIT would considerably downsize the engines instead of using those restrictor plates. That or put somekind of aero package on the front of the car that prohibits them from running over 200mph if that is the "number" chosen by liability insurers. They just need some passing power and ability to run in 2-3 groups instead of the "neon train" that is so boring to watch and so dangerous for the drivers. When you can't pass and you can't move around by yourself it becomes a game of survival and doing the cautious thing, NOT letting it all hang out and honestly RACING!!! :embarassed

I wish more dragboat races were televised,
RA

hack02

I do like to watch Nascar, but like alot of others I wish it was more competetive. Right now, I'll take a good Craftsman Truck race over the Sprint Cars.
Red, TV dissappoints me sometimes. They could cover alot of interesting things like boat racing but choose to cover things like poker playing and pool. How exciting is that.