New GS need help on setup

RiverRat71

Hi all, new to the forum and Allison boats. I am in the process of buying a 2008 GS. Going to bring it home in a couple of weeks. I have never driven a boat of this nature & know setup is very important. I would like for someone with experience with these boats to make sure the setup is correct. I am willing to bring the boat to anyone who is in reasonable traveling distance of south GA. I would also like some input on driving this awesome boat. I am not asking for a freebie & know peoples time is valuable. I would like to have peace of mind knowing that the boat is set up correctly. I have friends with Hydrostream's & STV's but none have experience with setting up Allison's. Look forward to input.

RiverRat71

What's the current set up as far as jackplate size, engine?
I haven't taken possession of the boat yet, will be a couple of weeks before I can get it. I do not know the jackplate size but the engine is a 225 Optimax XS race.

RiverRat71

Did you buy the 2008 yellow GS ? That's a nice boat ! Lots of guys on her with Grandsport experience , just ask or look at old posts for info . Good for you ! Hope you enjoy it !
Yep, that's the one. Really excited about it. Always wanted an Allison. To me there is nothing that compares to their looks.

ROBERT CROSS

Welcome Aboard!!

12" setback on a CMC Power Lift, 1/2" below to 1/2" above the pad depending on load. (buried deep in heavy chop).
Blue ball's for hole-shot. Take your time learning....nothing more important than seat time.
If you have a Ski-pole, it can double as a seat mount.

Have Fun!!! You'll Love it.:):cool:DSC09550.jpg DSC00078.JPGDSC00125.JPG DSC00122.jpg

RiverRat71

I love my ol GS , and it's 25 yrs old ! Still looks way ahead of any other hull design ! Like the yellow gel on them a lot ! My buddy had one here in Louisville , we went to Alabama to buy that one and an hour later we were flying her on smith lake running over 100 on our trip home to ky .
I will likely be flying mine at about 50 for a while, LOL.

RiverRat71

Welcome Aboard!!

12" setback on a CMC Power Lift, 1/2" below to 1/2" above the pad depending on load. (buried deep in heavy chop).
Blue ball's for hole-shot. Take your time learning....nothing more important than seat time.
If you have a Ski-pole, it can double as a seat mount.

Have Fun!!! You'll Love it.:):cool:View attachment 10946 View attachment 10943View attachment 10945 View attachment 10944
Man that is a beautiful setup! Is that a Stainless Marine trim indicator? That is what I want to add to my boat.

ROBERT CROSS

DSC00088.JPG DSC09526.jpg

Yep....SM, along with 24p round ear, 26p,28p Q4 Hydromotive's. Also using the trim button on the shifter wired to start in gear .
The GS doesn't have a lot of room on the dash so the gauge is not line-of-sight....still a very worthwhile up-grade,

Last edited:

RiverRat71

View attachment 10947 View attachment 10948

Yep....SM, along with 24p round ear, 26p,28p Q4 Hydromotive's. Also using the trim button on the shifter wired to start in gear .
The GS doesn't have a lot of room on the dash so the gauge is not line-of-sight....still a very worthwhile up-grade,
Sweet idea on the trim button. I am going to have to keep that in mind. I assume it is better on the gearbox to start in gear? Do you run all 4 blades?

RiverRat71

RiverRat71

Grind it down get some more fill it and sand it down then paint it ! Pice of cake
I think it is actually a job done by Titus. Is that good or bad? Should I do it myself or send back to Titus for repair? I am new to this LU mod stuff.

RiverRat71

It has to come off to sent it to Titus . Can you do that ? And put it back on ? There are filler products that could be used to fill and sand for the do it yourself guys . If you were going to race it competively I would send it back to Titus . If it's going to be used for riding , tubing , skiing then fix it your self . Most Grandsport owners run top end runs and cruise with friends and family . Performance is enhanced by a good coned lower unit on these boats . If it were mine I would send it out and have it fixed and painted just so it rus the best it can ! That's my opinion , but I can take mine off and on .
I am decent at paint & body but think I would rather have it done professionally. I am also a decent mechanic but have never pulled a LU so I think I would let someone else do that as well though I wouldn't mind learning how. If it doesn't require special tools I would be even more interested. Here is a pic of the LU. Any input from anyone would be great.

Attachments

flying07

Welcome!! I just sold my GS, my first 'performance' boat. Was a blast learning to drive it! I still remember when 55 was chine walk city, and then hit 62 one day, and was nicknamed 'Russ 62" by a few on the board! It takes time, don't get frustrated! As someone told me, you learn to drive it by feeling it in your seat aka: in your ass. and it's true. If you see it walk, you are already behind it. I had the traditional set up, 11 inches set back, 1/8 below pad (i thought it was 1/2 below most time, no wonder it spun a 26 so well!haha). I was with a fairly stout promax, on a 26 chopper. Carried the bow well that prop did, my favorite prop for sure. Biggest tip: find someone who can drive the boat, and ride with them a few runs. Then you 'feel' what it should be like, if that makes sense? I still remember the first time in the boat, Big Mike is driving, hit's the trim, thing gets way up and hits 92, felt awesome, but too, I thought we were going to die!hahha. . . he set it down smooth as silk and says 'not bad, not your turn!' i only hit 62 haha. Other big point, slow down slowly!!! barely, barely lift off, cool part is, at higher speeds, boat will feel to accelarate as the stern raises as you lift . . hehe. Counterweight is huge in the GS, but not too important till up on the pad. God I wish I could 'learn' all over again, it was exciting as hell!

Here is the link to my 'learning' post. . . . http://forum.allisonowners.net/index.php?threads/russ-62mph-p.16403/

RiverRat71

Welcome!! I just sold my GS, my first 'performance' boat. Was a blast learning to drive it! I still remember when 55 was chine walk city, and then hit 62 one day, and was nicknamed 'Russ 62" by a few on the board! It takes time, don't get frustrated! As someone told me, you learn to drive it by feeling it in your seat aka: in your ass. and it's true. If you see it walk, you are already behind it. I had the traditional set up, 11 inches set back, 1/8 below pad (i thought it was 1/2 below most time, no wonder it spun a 26 so well!haha). I was with a fairly stout promax, on a 26 chopper. Carried the bow well that prop did, my favorite prop for sure. Biggest tip: find someone who can drive the boat, and ride with them a few runs. Then you 'feel' what it should be like, if that makes sense? I still remember the first time in the boat, Big Mike is driving, hit's the trim, thing gets way up and hits 92, felt awesome, but too, I thought we were going to die!hahha. . . he set it down smooth as silk and says 'not bad, not your turn!' i only hit 62 haha. Other big point, slow down slowly!!! barely, barely lift off, cool part is, at higher speeds, boat will feel to accelarate as the stern raises as you lift . . hehe. Counterweight is huge in the GS, but not too important till up on the pad. God I wish I could 'learn' all over again, it was exciting as hell!

Here is the link to my 'learning' post. . . . http://forum.allisonowners.net/index.php?threads/russ-62mph-p.16403/
Thanks a billion for the post! How long did it take you to learn? I am real anxious to learn but a little nervous as well. I have driven a Hydostream VKing into the 70's but that is my only experience driving high perf boats. I have been a 100+ in the passenger seat of an STV though.:)

RiverRat71

It's not a hard job to pull it or put it back on , takes a little muscle and know how . Whoever does take it off , make them let you watch so you can learn how to do it . While it's off get a new impeller installed so YOU know it's fresh ! Have the Titus cone fixed , have it put back on , watch how that's done too . Change the oil in it and drive it !
Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

flying07

Thanks a billion for the post! How long did it take you to learn? I am real anxious to learn but a little nervous as well. I have driven a Hydostream VKing into the 70's but that is my only experience driving high perf boats. I have been a 100+ in the passenger seat of an STV though.:)
Anytime! God I wish i could go through the 'learning curve' again. . . it was fun!! (and frustrating at times for sure!). But the first time she's at 80 and above, oh my god, it's better then any 1 hour and $200 girl could be!haha. . . . reading my long post, looks like 4 months to get a 'feel' for it. . . . then this spring started playing with a new lower (Todd Bucknell, of Hydromotive) modded my sportmaster, wow, night and day difference!! i could spin the 26 at 7200 rpm while looking around for my drink it drove so well! played briefly with a 30 et to try to get some numbers, then ended up selling it (still regret that decision!), but want to try something new. . . . some 'training wheels' in the form of a 280 powered stv will be next . . . . have fun, good lifejacket (lifeline!), kill switch on, and remember, learning is a lot of fun, enjoy!!