New Mercury 200 XS Consumer Outboard

Dave Hensley

After discussion with Darris Allison and several other boat owners, I have sent a letter to:

Kevin Skiba
National Sales Manager
Mercury Racing
kevin.skiba@mercmarine.com

The letter outlines the need for a new consumer 2.5 outboard to power the boats that we love. I tried to post the letter here but it will not let me paste it in. As a matter of fact I can't paste anything to a thread on this site:mad: if someone can send me your email and I will forward my letter.

Freebird

I'll give it a shot for you...

After much discussion with Darris Allison, and many owners of lightweight, performance hulls, I am soliciting help to contact:

Kevin Skiba
National Sales Manager
Mercury Racing
kevin.skiba@mercmarine.com

The following is the letter I have sent to Kevin. Please feel free to cut, pasteand add your own experience and needs.

Dear Kevin,

I am writing this message in regard to the availability of a suitable outboard package for high performance, lightweight hulls. I have been involved in racing, cruising and fishing out of Allison boats for the last 25 years. To this point I have owned 35 of the boats and currently have six. I interact on a regular basis with owners of Allison boats as well as many other owners of similar style and weight hulls. Through rally's, races, internet forums and social media there is a common theme. Power for the type of boats we own is non-existent in a production platform. Most of us rely on rebuilt/used 2.5 Mercury high-performance models. The used parts that are available for that motor are all now at least 10 years old and many of the hard parts are NLA from Mercury. In short, there are thousands of hulls across the country with no real option for re-powering. These boats were built with improved design and materials and will be around for many years. My current fleet consists of boats that are 17-28 years old that still look like new. So demand for power options will exist for years to come.

The folks that are looking at options to power hulls in the 18-21 foot, 800-1400 pound range have changed since I owned my first boat. In 1990 power was king at the expense of durability and reliability. Sixteen amp charging systems were the norm and modifying parts and pieces like motor mounts, gearcases, etc was expected. Today's boater wants a reliable package capable of pushing their boat into the 90 mph range that they can bolt on and go. They want a warranty and they want to be able to return to their dealer for service and parts. High performance stereo systems and electronics, and the charging system to power them, are just as important as top speed.

It is my educated opinion that all the parts and pieces for such an outboard currently exist in the Mercury line up. We need a package offered with a 15" or 20" mid, Sportmaster gearcase in 1.75 or 1.87 ratio, solid motor mount , 2.5 liter, 200-225 horsepower direct injected outboard motor. It needs to be available from any Mercury dealership and it needs to weigh in at no more than 435 pounds. It also needs to come with a minimum of a one year warranty. The price of that motor needs to be aligned with the same horsepower now offered in the 3.0 liter line-up. I did own a 2013 Gen 2 200XS race motor and it was very close to what we need. Availability and price for that package put it at a disadvantage. It is perplexing when you compare that to the power, warranty and availability of a 250 XS Sport. That package has all the attributes we are seeking except the weight of the 3.0 liter motor makes it useless for our hulls.

Sincerely,

Dave Hensley

xb03fs

you think they would be open to a 200 and 225 version governed just by the limiter to get more HP out without losing their overseas racing crowd by being too powerful...
200 rev limited making 230 @ 6650 or so and a 225 version making promax like power 6,850? Just a computer change and a way for them to make a little extra on the 225 version.

ally2dextreme

I will be announcing something very soon on this that everyone can help out on.....stay tuned

Lotus 50

Should I e-mail Mercury now or wait for Ally2extreme's announcement?

Long shaft for me. $2000 more for short shaft and more weight doesn't seem right.

xb03fs

I guess I can look into refinancing the boat if need be. I think I am ok in the 80s

22R

Just want to say thanks Dave. I edited and forwarded your letter to Kevin. If they make em I want one.

22R

Dave Hensley

Just want to make sure everyone understands what is on the table here and what is being asked for. This is not a NEW motor. It is a package of existing parts. My guess is there is pent up demand for at least 200 of them right now. Maybe more. Here is a response from another thread to lay it all out there. This was the meat of the discussion I had with Darris. Darris was a huge influence on Mercury to build the ProMax line. I know we are a small niche, Merc has forsaken us, they want to sell Verados and 1350's blah, blah, blah. Mercury wants to make M-O-N-E-Y.

Start counting the number of Allison's, STV's, Triad's, Strokers, Bullets, Hydrostreams, Mirage knock-offs, etc that are being sold without power because everyone, including me, is hoarding 2.5 stuff. It is not just the "new" boat market. This is not a re-tooled motor. They make everything it takes to bolt one together now, and it is EPA compliant already. Wonder what a 175 XS with 200 XS ROS box makes on the dyno????/ Hello?? Package it with a Sportmaster, solid mounts and give a warranty. Ask FastEdddie what they will run and he had to buy one and go through all the work on a brand new motor to get there. I am talking about a set of decals here guys and a trip to another parts bin at the factory. Does anyone remember what a 225 Pro Max was???? Steel liner, Laser injection, Sportmaster, Solid mounts, Cowl?? It was a fishing motor. The HP can all be done in the ECM.

ally2dextreme

We are looking to set up a web site
???? We need a unified front TH. The posts on FB are getting lots of hits and emails are being sent and Kevin is responding.
Dave shot me your number again and I'll go over some things me and Darris were talking about

xb03fs

yup just put the current 200 ROS powerhead and ECU on a 175 Proxs Mid, add solid mounts and sportmaster, add warranty and DONE. Nothing new just assembled differently.

Dave Hensley

yup just put the current 200 ROS powerhead and ECU on a 175 Proxs Mid, add solid mounts and sportmaster, add warranty and DONE. Nothing new just assembled differently.
Might not even need the 200XS ROS. I am hearing the 175XS is really choked down.....