New Mercury 200 XS Consumer Outboard

cruzintld

Has anyone been to the Mercury Racing site lately? What's the deal with the 200XS ROS with consumer below it??

aeneas

Regarding the Mercury Racing website: The 200xs is in the Race category while the engines below are in the consumer category.

CarolinaBurt

Guys, I've enjoyed reading your post. I have one of Darris's XB2002's that I purchased brand new and a 200SS ProMax modified by Jay Smith Racing - also purchased brand new. I will be very surprised if they (Mercury) brings back a light-weight 2-stroke as a solution to the shortage. They are facing ever tightening emission standards and potential heavy fines if their consumer lines don't meet those standards.

I've been inside the motorcycle scene for 45 years and I know that 4-Strokes do make amazing power. My factory-stock Kawasaki GPZ750E Turbo is a 738cc 4 cylinder making 115 hp at 12.7 lbs boost. These bikes are air-cooled and live 50,000+ miles regularly and they are 30 years old! Owners regularly install manual wastegates that boost pressures up to 16~17 lbs and 200+ horsepower with long-term reliability. I've seen dyno sheets showing 250 + hp from a well-prepped and bored 810 cc bike that lives in daily commutes and weekend drags.
Fast forward to the new Kawasaki H2 and H2R - 1,000 cc and 230 hp for the street and 320 for the track, all from a lightweight Super-Charged 4 Stroke. These Street H2's come with full warranty and built to last for 50,000+ miles. The entire motorcycle - wheels, transmission, frame, tires, tank, everything weighs less than 400 lbs!

Has anyone talked with Darris about surface drives? This allows a small, lightweight powerplant to be inboard while the drive surfaces out back. The internet is full of Arneson Industries Drives. I don't like seeing our small Allisons go obsolete....Gordon

http://www.rrrtoolsolutions.com/index.php

Last edited:

scj

Has anyone talked with Darris about surface drives? This allows a small, lightweight powerplant to be inboard while the drive surfaces out back. The internet is full of Arneson Industries Drives. I don't like seeing our small Allisons go obsolete....Gordon

Someone has as he mentioned them to me one day a while back.................

whipper

I talked to Darris about them before. Even thought about changing my GS over but now with CRT i wont have to. ;) They are the motor of the future and no surface drive is going to match the power to weight for an Allison as those bad boys! 400+ HP under 400 lbs is hard to beat. Along with high rpm and trim ability. The smallest Arnesen drive capable of handling 350-500 hp with gearbox weighs almost that much. Then theres the coming off Speed without a ratcheting shaft to prop issue. For those applications the bow would need to be redesigned to lay down with no hooking tendency. That would negate the rough water superiority Allisons have. The closest engine power to weight that can spin high enough rpm to use a 30 pitch or less prop to match a S3000 or 260/280 would be a 3 rotor Rotary power plant. It would need to produce 400+ hp to match the efficiency of a 260 outboard. Even then it wouldn't come close to a CRT motor hanging of the back and cost probably more than the CRT billet motor?

CarolinaBurt

A lightweight, oil burning 2-stroke for the Hi-Perf consumer market? I'll believe it when I can buy one. The CRT is pretty and I can see 100 of them being built for race only, but 1,000 or more for consumer purchase? Wake me up, please.

Lotus 50

Reynolds a Racing Marine has a 200xs for sale. Low hours, $14,500

I took my motor money and ordered an outboard ski boat. My Promax will be fine for a few years.

whipper

Haha a friend just bought 2 200xs motors last year. Few months ago bought a 3rd price was right. As for Caldwell. 100? that would be optimistic I would think also. But thats OK i only need 0ne. :DAs far as replacements for the 2.5 for the world or the 2.5 or a light weight alternative for { Light weight Allison Owners} . I didnt mean for everyone Burt. Im only thinking about what would be a good motor for guys needing a new motor who has a boat that requires a motor under 450lbs.

Dave Hensley

3.0 Liters work fine on the 20' Allison's.....especially with a 15" mid. Problem is they won't be around much longer either.

90 5.0

A lightweight, oil burning 2-stroke for the Hi-Perf consumer market? I'll believe it when I can buy one. The CRT is pretty and I can see 100 of them being built for race only, but 1,000 or more for consumer purchase? Wake me up, please.
You can buy a 15" 2.5l ROS today, or a 12" with a speedmaster.

They are taking orders now for next year. Only catch is you have to race it.

CarolinaBurt

Does anyone know why the 200XS ROS is listed at 434 lbs yet my 1999 SS is 375 lbs? Why would the newer ROS weigh 60 lbs more?

Lotus 50

The 375 lb sticker on the SS2000 may as well say Promax or 2.5L only. But I think it can work with a 200XS.

Reynold's site shows a 2012 ROS 200 HP, 115 hours, $14,900. That would be Gen II. Would the Gen II 200 be as strong as a 225 PM below 6000 rpm?

http://www.reynoldsracingmarine.com/mercob.htm

Maybe a good deal if a new once costs $20K. Good deal for the seller if he paid $16K

Jaco's is not advertising the 200XS this year

whipper

Lotus im going to say the 200xs down low has more torque than a 225pm but going to say the 225pm will run out faster on the top end then a 200xs. i would think the 200xs would make a better ski motor but not a drag motor. Reason I say this because not to many 200xs guys running over 100mph with a 200 but are with the promax. Unless theirs some I haven't heard of on a SS or XB2002 200xs running 100? i know of lots of these hulls run 100 with a promax.

bigtis

Carolinabirt. The 225 you have is a lazer injected engine. The 200xs has extra parts that are heavy. Air compressor, alternator, heads with rails for air injectors. An actual oil pump instead of a gear on the crank. Theres a few other things, but that's were the majority of your excess weight comes from.

CarolinaBurt

Thanks for the reply - I guess all of that is progress. I like my old smokey motors.......:)

That board name is almost 20 years old - coming from the fact we lived in Carolina and my son set-up my first account under his name, Burton.

I did the old articles posted in the related sections on transom stress and propeller designs. Gordon East

Thanks again.

Lotus 50

Well my ski boat is finally in the water, and it probably cost as much or more than a 200XS. But I was not paying 20K for a 200XS. By the time Dave posted his 200XS for sale I was well into the new boat. Looks like my 225 PM will have to go forward for a while.

Attachments

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well my ski boat is finally in the water, and it probably cost as much or more than a 200XS. But I was not paying 20K for a 200XS. By the time Dave posted his 200XS for sale I was well into the new boat. Looks like my 225 PM will have to go forward for a while.
How is the wake? Looks like it would be great.