Newbie: Sold my Porsche 911 to buy an Allison

Austin

Probationary User
Seriously I really sold my Porsche to buy a boat....
As for an introduction, I'm Austin, live in Louisville Ky, I like things that go fast and love to fish so why not mix the two!

So, I've never even seen an Allison in person but I am certain I want one! They just look so damn awesome!
Avid fisherman owned various boats all my life but now it's time for an up grade, I'm thinking the xb 21 would be the way to go?(used.... unfortunately my Porsche wasn't a turbo) Is that the general consensus or no? I live in Ky bass fish, Cumberland, Dale Hollow, Ky Lake, some in Tn and smallies in Michigan all big water lakes. Anyone willing to share practical experience and equipment issues fishing out of one of these as opposed to say a Ranger?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Garry Hagins

As for an introduction, I'm Austin, live in Louisville Ky, I like things that go fast and love to fish so why not mix the two!

So, I've never even seen an Allison in person but I am certain I want one! They just look so damn awesome!
Avid fisherman owned various boats all my life but now it's time for an up grade, I'm thinking the xb 21 would be the way to go?(used.... unfortunately my Porsche wasn't a turbo) Is that the general consensus or no? I live in Ky bass fish, Cumberland, Dale Hollow, Ky Lake, some in Tn and smallies in Michigan all big water lakes. Anyone willing to share practical experience and equipment issues fishing out of one of these as opposed to say a Ranger?

I just bought my first Allison in April and I am extremely happy with the boat. I have owned numerous bass boats including Ranger, Stroker, Legend, 2-Champion, Bass Cat, and my Allison. I love my Allison and the performance that I get from it. I bought the XB-21 Pro Sport with a 300 Mercury XS. I like the Pro Sport for the protection I get from the boat in the cold months and I am also able to use it to take the family tubing, swimming, or etc.

Do you plan on buying a brand new boat or a used boat? Contact me if you'd like I will give you some of my input. Set-up on these boats are critical that you are able to achieve the performance that you want.

David Lanham

Hey Austin. I live about one and half hours north of you. I did grow up in Louisville and have spent countless hours on the Ohio.
I own a 2003 Prosport with a Merc 225X. In regards to fishing out of mine, the only beef I have is if I have a 200 lb + partner on the back. If he steps off center the boat will dip accordingly which eventually puts strain on my lower back. No big deal if he stays center. Equitable trade off for weight, performance and rough water handling.

Good luck with your search. I'd be willing to give you a ride in mine if it would help with your decision.

Austin

Probationary User
I just bought my first Allison in April and I am extremely happy with the boat. I have owned numerous bass boats including Ranger, Stroker, Legend, 2-Champion, Bass Cat, and my Allison. I love my Allison and the performance that I get from it. I bought the XB-21 Pro Sport with a 300 Mercury XS. I like the Pro Sport for the protection I get from the boat in the cold months and I am also able to use it to take the family tubing, swimming, or etc.

Do you plan on buying a brand new boat or a used boat? Contact me if you'd like I will give you some of my input. Set-up on these boats are critical that you are able to achieve the performance that you want.
Thanks for the replies, been a busy 48 hours here in Louisville.... I wish I could afford a new one but that's not gonna happen. Going to have to pick up a used one which seems damn near impossible! They are all either 90's models or a year or two old and out of my price range. I'm thinking the 2+2 as my 19 & 20 year old daughters don't hate me and still enjoy going out on the water with me from time to time. I'll be willing to drive as far as Texas to get the right deal, just doesn't seem like there are any in my area which is crazy because they are built in TN, correct?
I am in Paducah, KY if you are ever over this way and want a ride in a 2 seater.
I am in Paducah, KY if you are ever over this way and want a ride in a 2 seater.

Austin

Probationary User
Replying from my phone and it won't let me reply to individual comments... I'm sure it's just user error.

Tim I will definitely take you up on that, will contact you when I know I'm heading that way sometime.
David what area do you live in now, my GF lives in Colombus OH I'm up that way frequently. I've read about the wobble with movement, was wonder about fishing with a lot of traffic on the water how bad it gets while standing up front running the boat. Does the wind give you much problem?

SCJ, she's beautiful! Oh and that would be Gaurds Red in the Porsche world. Mine was Talbot Yellow, pretty much canary yellow.... don't think I'd be picky on color just want one!

scj

Ha! It's going to take you five miles to run me down.......:D

Allison's call it Porsche Red on their order form and I like it as it looks orange in certain light conditions.

And you don't have these......
IMG_4327.JPG

Last edited:

Garry Hagins

Ha! It's going to take you five miles to run me down.......:D

Allison's call it Porsche Red on their order form and I like it as it looks orange in certain light conditions.
Really 5 miles LOL Your's accelerates that quickly? My hole shot is a LOT better now that Lee worked his magic and mine pulls hard all the way through. Lee and the other gentlemen were surprised how strong the motor was when they ran it. Lee thought it had 1.75 gears in it as hard as it pulled. I guess we will have to see some day. I am of course still learning to drive mine but had it up to 90 the other day and ran out of room to run it since the water was getting rough and the numerous boat waves. That was with the 28 Bravo 1 FS.

scj

With my wife on board I ran mine to 90.7 Wednesday but I don't like to do that too often with her aboard.
Too rough yesterday and today to air it out all though one of the guys said he seen my prop when we were out today.

Garry Hagins

That is cool. My youngest daughter has been going with me lately and she was with me when we reached 90. The lower unit modification makes a huge difference in the way the boat handles. There is very little chine walk in the boat now and very easy to drive. I have been letting her drive the boat in case anything ever happens when we were out fishing. She is learning quick and seems to be able to feel the boat. She told me the other day Dad this is easier to drive than Mario Karts lol!!

champ198

Anyone willing to share practical experience and equipment issues fishing out of one of these as opposed to say a Ranger?
You will wonder why you've never found this boat before. All other "mainstream" boats will seem like dumbed down, flat bottom boats after you get used to the Allison. It is a totally different kind of boat. More performance than anything. When I say that, I mean ride, speed, handling, hole shot. It performs well at all speeds.

Good luck!
DH

Tim Powell

With my wife on board I ran mine to 90.7 Wednesday but I don't like to do that too often with her aboard.
Too rough yesterday and today to air it out all though one of the guys said he seen my prop when we were out today.
90.7???? Thats just gettin the party started :LMAO:

BuddyBell

Good boats