Not enough Tongue Weight.....

ROBERT CROSS

The one drawback of our GS on the Boatmate dual axle trailer has been the lack of adequate tongue weight…(with no ability to move the bow post.) 105lbs with the 225x and a full gas tank.
I just solved that concern yesterday with a 125lb tractor wheel weight. I have been looking for one for the last couple Seasons without any luck…until yesterday when I found an “American Pickers” dream Farm, Don the owner had the stuff alright and after about 10min of looking we found this……;)

It's the same diameter as the spare tire wheel and thick enough to allow the spare to be mounted with just enough room for the for the post to be used to secure the assembly.

Boy what a difference 230lbs of TW makes, no more feeling like I’m towing a Porpoise, very little tongue bounce….smooooth.

Bob
:cool:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I had / have the exact same problem with my XS2003, 1995. Except in my case, the tongue would actually "float" (levitate) up in the air!

Spent a couple of hours with Darris at the factory (without boat there) a couple years ago and found out the source and the history of this problem and the way to reduce if not eliminate it.

Bottom line, earlier Boatmate trailers were made from thinner tubing that FLEXES. This allows the boat to torque the trailer in favor of its majority weight at the stern. What a PITA it is.

The fix: It's the two vertical bunks that are meant to carry the boat's weight. The vee shaped flat ones are meant to be guides. Solution is to loosen and remove the rear vertical bunk bolts and the ones in the centers and, using a hydraulic jack, elevate the boat via the jack under the vertical bunks. Then, drill new holes for new bolts thru the bunk wood, but also create shims from acetal plastic like Delrin to keep the bunks lifted at the stern. This goes a long way in transferring the CG forward.

However, although it got rid of my "float", it still did not produce adequate tongue weight.

So I threw a bag of lead shot into the spare tire.

Problem solved lol.

ROBERT CROSS

........"So I threw a bag of lead shot into the spare tire."

In or on?

Funny...I also considered that. But after a bout of trailer tire concerns on the Airstream the DW insists on having a working spare.

SWMBO....."she's not happy, 'til I'm not happy"

Bob

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

Think the spare tire carrier will handle that weight long term? I've seen several of those carriers with busted welds - with just the weight of the tire on there.

ROBERT CROSS

Think the spare tire carrier will handle that weight long term? I've seen several of those carriers with busted welds - with just the weight of the tire on there.
The welds look robust enough, the basket strapping, thickness wise is up to the task, and the cable should prevent a road hazard! I shall be inspecting often though....Thanks GMA.

Bob

Last edited:

whipper

Hmmm i never carry a spare and the 2000 boatmate is good. Sounds like a PITA for sure. What about securing a flat plate of led under the V below the winch? Two holes 1x8inches long buy 1 inch thick should be enough as its more forward also?

sledman8002002

Pretty happy with mine as of right now, a solid 75 to 100 lbs, (mind you that's with no spare and zero fuel). I do prefer a bit more, 150 lbs is more to my liking, but I'm also on a single axle.