Note to GrandSport owners

Reddawg

Can I get some measurments of your upgrade aluminum backing plate on the outside of your Allison Transom. Im adding on another jack-plate and figure I should add some strength. However my Allison GS is in the Caribbean in storage while im in Canada and its to much issues to get the serial #/information. So I rather not trouble with the Allison factory in going around it, I will have it custom built here in Canada. Thanks,
John

ziemer

Im worried about the thickness of the aluminum sleeve after drilling.
Mine has no sleeves. Two sheets, one at the outside and one at the inside just below the gelcoat on both sides.

XSive

Hey Lou,

Did you ever finish your Grandsport?

Post some pics..

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Haven't done it yet. Ran it without the mod at the WAR, Ron Sanchez took some great video of us running her.

Will rip her apart soon and post!!

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Update--I have had NO time to mess with this, so I farmed it out to Henry Abaddie of Performance Marine Specialties, an Allison dealer nearby.

The job is done, and I wanted to report that there were NO stress cracks or indents found on the outside of the transom.

Also, Ziemer asked if, when drilling out the upper two holes to 9/16", if the transom material encountered was fiberglass or steel.

Jeff, I can report that the holes were completely steel-sleeved; all the way through when the drilling was done, Henry's impression was that it was a "Steel transom". So this is in line with what the factory told me; that there were steel sleeves for the bolts to run through.

The hull is a 1995 GS Elite.

Any other questions, please let me know.

Last edited:

ziemer

Also, Ziemer asked if, when drilling out the upper two holes to 9/16", if the transom material encountered was fiberglass or steel.

Jeff, I can report that the holes were completely steel-sleeved; all the way through when the drilling was done, Henry's impression was that it was a "Steel transom". So this is in line with what the factory told me; that there were steel sleeves for the bolts to run through.

The hull is a 1995 GS Elite.

Thanks for the update Lou. Somehow I missed this when you posted it over a month ago. :banghead:beer: Mine is also a 95 (not an elite) and it's wierd that they would be built differently. Maybe my memory is going bad, but when we drilled mine I remember going through 2 plates rather than one sleeve. Owell. Just like yours and chasintails, when I did mine the transom was perfect.

jas638

Banned
i got mine the other day , no plate ?just what goes inside and bolts. do they not give this out anymore?i have a 93 gran sport ski.

jas638

Banned
finished the job. had to take the whole motor off and gas tank out not easy. added the extension bracket .for more set back now10 1/2 inches. then said what the hell might as well upgrade to hyd steerin while its all apart. got cable set up thats mint if anyones interested.

whipper

Sounds like it was worth the upgrade in more ways than one.:wink Your going to love the hydraulics on there and with more set back shell be like a whole new boat to drive for the better.

jas638

Banned
hey whip, dammmm thats one hot rig!!!!! it must be hard not to smile when your in that baby:very happy

whipper

hey whip, dammmm thats one hot rig!!!!! it must be hard not to smile when your in that baby:very happy
I start to smile when I go to the garage and dont stop till im home after the lake and go to bed.
I feel best when Im in my Allison. Ive even slept over night in her.:big grin

hemi2005

I tried to install this kit in my '91 GS and it wouldn't work. Someone decided to run the water outlet from the bildge pump exactly inbetween the 2 upper transom bolts. I tried to notch the aluminum plate around the hose/through hull fitting and that didn't work. So I cut the section of plate out completely to have one large rectangular washer per bolt and that didn't work. The plate wouldn't fit top to bottom in the cavity where the bolts go through the transom. I gave up and put the original bolts back in. I figure if it aint broke...don't fix it. I tried hard to make it work, but oh well.

whipper

I tried to install this kit in my '91 GS and it wouldn't work. Someone decided to run the water outlet from the bildge pump exactly inbetween the 2 upper transom bolts. I tried to notch the aluminum plate around the hose/through hull fitting and that didn't work. So I cut the section of plate out completely to have one large rectangular washer per bolt and that didn't work. The plate wouldn't fit top to bottom in the cavity where the bolts go through the transom. I gave up and put the original bolts back in. I figure if it aint broke...don't fix it. I tried hard to make it work, but oh well.
Hemmi did ya call Bill at Allison and tell him that? Darris might want to know about this. Your description may allow him to make you a special one?

hemi2005

No Whipper, I haven't contacted Allison yet...Too much else going on right now. I will at some point though. I really do want to upgrade everything, just to be safe. Especially with 14" of set back.

whipper

Since yours was one of the very first ones made he may have changed that area for the rest of them shortly after yours? Darris may remember this and specialy make you one I dont know? Worth a ask though since he is willing to offer the upgrade.

ziemer

Did they send you the new 9/16" upper bolts? I would consider changing the orginals out to 9/16" but other than that, you should be fine. I broke 2 of my bolts before I even knew about the recall and bought the 2 upper bolts from Allison at $100 and never had any issues.

Even when I broke the 2 bolts, the transom still looke like new. I ran it like that for a year or otwo and then found out about the in side and outside plates. Had Bill send them to me and I did add them in, but who knows. I think they had a couple boat that had issues and covered their butt, by encompassing several model years. :cool

procomp

I just did my 92 last winter and there were no signs of any issues fatigue issues.
It was a little tricky to do. Nice strong set up though. I would look to relocate your bileage hose and get another update kit.

hemi2005

I just did my 92 last winter and there were no signs of any issues fatigue issues.
It was a little tricky to do. Nice strong set up though. I would look to relocate your bileage hose and get another update kit.
Relocating the bildge would be somewhat of a pain, but I could do that. I really do like it there, because you cant see it. I'll contact Allison about it soon, I've just got alot going on right now.