Note to GrandSport owners

hemi2005

Did they send you the new 9/16" upper bolts? I would consider changing the orginals out to 9/16" but other than that, you should be fine. I broke 2 of my bolts before I even knew about the recall and bought the 2 upper bolts from Allison at $100 and never had any issues.

Even when I broke the 2 bolts, the transom still looke like new. I ran it like that for a year or otwo and then found out about the in side and outside plates. Had Bill send them to me and I did add them in, but who knows. I think they had a couple boat that had issues and covered their butt, by encompassing several model years. :cool
When I bought the boat, the guy only gave me the flat aluminum stock with the 2 new bolts. So yes to answer your question. The night that I was working on it, I realized that I only had a 1/2" drill bit and it was too late to go and buy a 9/16" bit. Plus I need to drill my jack plate upper holes out as well. I would feel better having the larger bolts in it.

fnshrmaster

The 91 I bought off the forum has not yet had the upgrade. It looks as if the bilge hose runs out between the two upper bolts. I guess the right fix will be to relocate the bilge outlet and move the hose. I will call Allison and see what they have to say, as far as I can see the transom looks to be fine but I dont need a failure.

fnshrmaster

Bolt kit on the way! Bill said the outside plate does nothing other than cover marks made by lift and or damage. 2 bolts and inside plate comes with the kit. Any tips on the install? I should be able to just unbolt motor and slide it to one side or the other without completely removing it. Gas tank just slide forward? Thanks, Kurt

Last edited:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I did mine a few years ago (1995 GSE). So far, no motors have fallen off. Got a new 200XS SS on it now, it's my fave family boat. Sure it only goes 87.4mph but that's why I have the xb2002/300 drag...

gmorgan

2fast4mom, how fast does the xb2002 run with the drag?

whipper

Ed I also have an elite and wasn't part of the recall built after 97. There is only a certain years 91-97 . Best to call Allison and talk to Bill or Nancy who usually answers the phone. Nancy is Darris wife Bill is Darris right hand man. They will help you determain if your serial number is one that needs it or not so have that handy. If they say it does great then they will set you up. If they say its not then never worry about it because its good to go. Most that needed it have been done already as this has been quite a few years since it was discovered to be needed. Well it actually probably wasn't needed in most cases but Darris didnt want to take chances and made sure he covered all Grand sports that might have had the defective parts from that manufacturer weather they needed it or not just to be safe.

So for piece of mind Ed just call the factory is your best bet. They are all so awesome maybe have a few other questions while your at it and buy an awesome Allison hat. the list of products hears a link. the number is bottom left contact us. Oh and welcome to the Allison forum...:cool: http://www.allisonboats.com/content/allison-gear/

Last edited:

whipper

2fast4mom, how fast does the xb2002 run with the drag?
Ill let 2fast answer for his setup but there are some xb2002,s that were light layups for racing and standard also. David Shooks XB2002 with a Drag im talking S3000 drag has ran upper 120,s and holds the world record bass boat speed of 117 and change for a 2 or 3 way average {cant recall how many passes} on that given day that was less than perfect. He had a 122 and a 116 or somthing like that averaged 117. 3 for the record that still stands. But I know he as seen almost 130 on other more perfect days in talking with him. Most guys are very happy seeing mid teens with a drag. There are very very few guys that have seen 120+ with an 02, they need a wheel barrel to walk with there you what's though there so big!;)

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
XB2002 with 300 Drag I have seen 113 and change, but most recently 108-109 seems to be my best so far here in Tennessee. Elevation here is up 300 feet from where I was in CA doing 112-113 but that's not real significant I suppose. Leak down on the motor is 3% on all except #3 which is 4%. 34 hours on motor. I was running an XR4 Steckbauer case to get the big numbers but it's gears disintegrated early this year and haven't fixed it. I am now running a fresh torquemaster modified by Titus and it's awesome it seems better than the Steck in terms of drive ability and performance and you don't have to change the oil every 2 hours. The only thing extra I did to the TM was to plug the two starboard water inlet holes at the nosecone to smooth water flow a little to the 3:00 bite position of the prop. I'm running black primer sanded with 600 grit.

whipper

Thats awesome Intel Lou! I cant imagine what its like to run an Allison in the teens.:eek: I like the water flow to the bite position never heard of that but i get it.Would that be on the way up or down side? Thinking down? Ive been sanding with 400 maybe ill try a little finer next time. or 400 might be best for my speeds. You probably want a little more grip on the case at the speeds your running. I sure love the Ferrari red on your 02 so fitting. :cool: i was wondering also do you run those speeds with or without a fairing and what prop?

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I used to get max top end with an old WMMOL series 28p Lightning ET. But it got damaged not once but 3 times in 12 months, the last time being my rock climbing adventure with my SS2000comp. Fixed it again, but it's just not quite the same...barely. It was my favorite prop and seemed to run great on every Allison I put it on. Back to your question....

The 109 top end was run with a 28 Hoss Triton that was supposed to have been modified by Dave Bostic (RIP) into a 30p. Several prop experts that I have talked to say this is not feasible because you can't bend the prop root, and that likely it's more of a 29.

Ran 108 all day long with a 26p Hoss Triton, just higher rpm's.

Yes the starboard side is the prop on its way down where it hits the water and bites. The filling of the holes prevents vortices of aerated water from heading into the prop. I picked up at least 2mph with this mod! That's huge at 100+ mph. To quote Todd Bucknell..."would you rather have the prop bite into cool whip...or water?"

Always have run with the fairing.

Jon

Supporting Member
Lou, I was thinking about the bending the prop at the root for the past couple of days, and you can have variable pitch which could produce more forward thrust - most props are actually set up like this. I'm no hydrodynamics guy. My cousin is though... some doctorate in fluid dynamics or something... not very hillbilly of him - he is a yankee though so what can you do :). Anyway, I want to get a couple of pics and measurements off that prop and will run it by him.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I was told to just use epoxy with no screw or plug and it worked great. Just get some of that epoxy putty that comes in a roll; you cut off a piece and knead it to mix up the two parts. It hardens like steel. Make sure all the surfaces it's going to stick to are sanded and clean.

Remove as much as possible before it cures; sanding it afterwards is a chore so you want to leave a minimal amount where this has to be done.

whipper

Yes that is great information and I appreciate you sharing these things. I have a 5 hole and have been told buy a few guys now to make it a 3. I may have to try this. If push comes to shove I can always drill it back out. It may not make a big difference with speeds in my range but probably won't hurt either.