Old R15 setup.

Bernie

I wonder if anyone still on here has experience with the R15? I guess this is a very common rig from the 70's, running a Merc 1500 short shaft with solid mounts . I will have it on a Vance 6" plate. I have heard propshaft even with the pad, I am guessing a 26p chopper or cleaver? I have a generic unmarked 13.5 X24p on the motor right now. Anyone know if the stock lower can run this high without running out of cooling water? Is there any point in installing the plate to be able to run the propshaft above the pad? Not going racing, but would like to get it up in the 60's, would LOVE to see 70 in this old girl.

Thx, Bernie.

Last edited:

Bernie

Thanks. Been on some Mercury inline groups and websites and have heard a lot about that. I definitely plan to have a pressure guage, right up front. That and a tach will be the only instruments. Some guys have run stock Merc inline cases pretty high by blocking some of the top holes in the stock water inlets and running "scoops" that attach to the inlets and collect water passing the sides of the gearcase. One guy in a basically flatbottom boat (Carlson Contender) got over 80 with his 1500XS motor, running the propshaft even with the bottom.
I know that if I see the water pressure drop I will not take a chance of killing it, a Bobs nosecone/LWP will be installed.