power poles or talons on xb21

hhxb21

Probationary User
Was thinking about putting one or the other on my xb21. I seen one rigged with power poles but I kinda like the talons. An body got them on their boat? Any info would be great

merc106

Okay so here is all the info I have on this topic and I know first hand because I did it on both of my boats.

1st boat: 2012 xb21 pro sport 300x 1.62 gears
Started out with one 8' talon and a custom mounting plate to an atlas jackplate. Had a tilt bracket so that it could lay down in my trailer and had it made so I could remove it and the bracket with two bolts so that I could run without it. I went with the talon so I would not have a hydraulic pump in my boat. The problems with the talon is it weighs with the factory bracket and tilt bracket 46-48lbs. It is very loud in waves when you have it deployed and it is always standing taller than the motor unless you manually fold it down when fishing so that sucks for the man in the back.
I basically hated it after the first week of fishing so I started doing some research which would have been cheaper on me before I bought the talon. I found out that I could have two power poles for the same weight as one talon and all the weight would not be off the back of the boat but some weight would be in the boat ( the pumps ). So that alone sold me on power poles so I went with two 8' blades. After a lot of research and changing of jackplates I ended up building custom mounts that tuck in between the boat and motor so they don't hang off the back like most. I went with hydrilla gear removable brackets and hydraulic quick releases on the lines so that they can be removed with ease so that i can still go for light loaded rides when necessary. Personally I do not like the brackets that Allison sells they look like an afterthought. After more research I decided to go with one trim pump and was not satisfied with the results so now I run both pumps like they were designed . Now that I have used them for a couple of months they are awesome. They are quieter, weigh less and you can extend them back out of the mans way in the back. And I think they are more aerodynamic.

2nd boat: 2002 xb2003 225x 1.87
I also have two micro power poles on an xb 2003 with 225x. Love them! They are very light and hold the boat extremely well with a tail wind. Not so much in a cross wind as it will turn more than the blades on the xb 21. Personally I feel that the micros are perfect for the xb03 as those boats are very weight sensitive. This boat also has custom aluminum mounts between motor and jack plate. Absolutely love both products even though they are very different. Both projects had a lot of time and money spent modifying everything to my liking as I am known to be a perfectionist by most. All that is remaining is after fishing season all the custom brackets will come off and be powder coated to match. Hope this helps whoever reads that are thinking about going with shallow water anchors

Last edited:

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Did not know about micro's. I just have the regular old shallow water anchor that I stab in the ground from the front deck. Its a 3/4 inch fiberglass pole. If it will hold my boat the micro sounds like its built for the 2003. Definitely interested in them. Can you send or post some pics of the micros on your 2003?

Okay so here is all the info I have on this topic and I know first hand because I did it on both of my boats.

Started out with one 8' talon and a custom mounting plate to an atlas jackplate. Had a tilt bracket so that it could lay down in my trailer and had it made so I could remove it and the bracket with two bolts so that I could run without it. I went with the talon so I would not have a hydraulic pump in my boat. The problems with the talon is it weighs with the factory bracket and tilt bracket 46-48lbs. It is very loud in waves when you have it deployed and it is always standing taller than the motor unless you manually fold it down when fishing so that sucks for the man in the back.
I basically hated it after the first week of fishing so I started doing some research which would have been cheaper on me before I bought the talon. I found out that I could have two power poles for the same weight as one talon and all the weight would not be off the back of the boat but some weight would be in the boat ( the pumps ). So that alone sold me on power poles so I went with two 8' blades. After a lot of research and changing of jackplates I ended up building custom mounts that tuck in between the boat and motor so they don't hang off the back like most. I went with hydrilla gear removable brackets and hydraulic quick releases on the lines so that they can be removed with ease so that i can still go for light loaded rides when necessary. Personally I do not like the brackets that Allison sells they look like an afterthought. After more research I decided to go with one trim pump and was not satisfied with the results so now I run both pumps like they were designed . Now that I have used them for a couple of months they are awesome. They are quieter, weigh less and you can extend them back out of the mans way in the back. And I think they are more aerodynamic.

I also have two micro power poles on an xb 2003 with 225x. Love them! They are very light and hold the boat extremely well with a tail wind. Not so much in a cross wind as it will turn more than the blades on the xb 21. Personally I feel that the micros are perfect for the xb03 as those boats are very weight sensitive. This boat also has custom aluminum mounts between motor and jack plate. Absolutely love both products even though they are very different. Both projects had a lot of time and money spent modifying everything to my liking as I am known to be a perfectionist by most. All that is remaining is after fishing season all the custom brackets will come off and be powder coated to match. Hope this helps whoever reads that are thinking about going with shallow water anchors

hirk

Here is the latest version of the talon mount on an 03. Sorry for the upside down pic. I mounted it high on the plate so the mount didnt drag in the water coming out of the hole, by having the mount fit over the sponson it allowed me to keep the weight as far forward as possible too.

Attachments

Last edited:

hirk

I looked at the micro's and figured they would be great for an 03, do you run with the rods in the mounts? I went with a talon because I got a staff deal but im interested in how the micros worked.

wasmeneh

hirk,
what mount is that, and how does it attach to the jackplate? I have a Talon on my S/W boat and used to have it part of the year on my Triton. Would like the option to move it to my 03 during the spawning season at least.

I had a quick detach mount on the talon with a quick plug in electrical connection so switching them back and fourth was a breeze.

Thanks Mike

hirk

Not sure on the mount part # but it bolts to the side of the j/p, its the latest one offered and includes long mounting bolts. I drilled a hole near the top of my plate inorder to raise it so high (I have a 9" allison manual) but it fit my plate perfect.

merc106

On short runs we leave them in but when moving six plus miles we take them down. The cool thing about them is some days we don't even put them up and nothing is in the way. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow.

hirk

Here you go, I had to drill the two holes for it on the outside half of the plate but the mount fit great.

Attachments

merc106

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Here are the pics of my xb03 with micros. Picture quality was good but something changed when I downloaded them. Sorry

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member

Jasonmcfatter

Do you by chance have any pictures of the brackets you used for the micros. I've just about decided I want to go that route. I don't mind Fabing the brackets to make them tuck better just figured you got it dialed in.

merc106

Do you by chance have any pictures of the brackets you used for the micros. I've just about decided I want to go that route. I don't mind Fabing the brackets to make them tuck better just figured you got it dialed in.
Yes send me your number and I will get them to you tomorrow. I will be tinkering with the boats a bit

Tim Sykes

So curiously enough what’s the real speed difference with them powerpoles on or off? No one really has a straight answer on this. I would love to hear it from someone who did both.

xb03fs

Do you think a micro could be install on front of boat?