pressing in a new hub

GotMyAlly

Can just about any prop shop pop a new hub for a 1 1/4" inch shaft into a prop that originally had a 1" hub? Or would you only trust a select few prop guys to do it?

Reason I ask, I know the guy that owns the prop shop here in town and he'd do it for me cheap (plus I wouldn't have to ship it anywhere)....but this guy mainly does prop repairs--not so much tweaking. I wouldn't let him repair or balance/blueprint one of my props, but if there isn't much that can be screwed up on a hub then I'd let him do the hubs for me.

I'm trying to find a 30" lightning or something along those lines for big top end numbers and just about everything I run across is hubbed for the small shaft. Are there any props that cannot be re-hubbed to fit a fat shaft?

1.25" Hub

Go see Boat Works in Jackson MS. The new hub costs about $118 and you can put it in with your heel. I just bought one about 3 weeks ago for my new (used) trophy plus. Definately sticker shock on this one but oh-well.

MS260

Opps, looks like your up by Memphis...Buy it anywhere you can get it and it installs in about 2 seconds.

J

John Richied

If you are currently running a Chopper II, Lightning ET or the newer Trophy prop they all have the Torque flow hub. And you have the hub needed to go into any Lightning ET.

Like Mississippi said, you just change the hub yourself.

GotMyAlly

Yeah, I know you can pop in the flo torq hub by hand. I am talking about older pre flo torq props that have solid hubs or hubs that must be pressed in by a prop shop.

fishnfireman

hubs

I have been researching this subject because i have a garage full of props that fit the small hub...... as of a month ago i now have a new lower unit Which has the big shaft.

Here is what I've found out.

If it's the old style (over the hub) prop.
The old hub will have to be pressed out.
If the old hub presses from the rear, then the front side of the hub will have to milled out so the new one can be welded in place. it will also need a stop and maybe some spacers milled to fit right.. It will cost 250.00 and up. The Mazco props done by John are 275.00 plus frt.

If the old hub presses from the front then it should not have to be milled out and they can drop the new hub in and weld it up. Not as costley.

merc326

to answer your question, yes, any prop shop should be able to press it in for you, its real simple if you have a press. take it to your guy and let him do it, he does them all the time im sure. there is just no need to send your prop off for just a rehub.

vcrash

new hub difficult

Last week i took a old style cleaver into the local prop shop and asked if he could re hub it for the large shaft sportmaster , he said he didnt think it should be a problem so i left it there, Called him this week and he said he needed to see the boat so i brought the boat down to him and he started fitting the prop on and said it would need some kind of exhaust ring and he wasnt happy with the distance between prop and lower unit and suggested i give up re hubbing and get the proper new style prop, so now im left with a nice chopper with no hub at all, the chopper with the new hub tacked in was about 3/8 of an inch out farther then the trophy and that was the part that he didnt like and i have no idea what he meant about an exhaust ring, Any body tried an old style prop on the sportmaster?any suggestions on what i should do now?

Bob Ant

hub press in

I just had the hub pressed in on my Mazco . I sent it to Mazco and they charged me about 78 bucks or so. It was hubbed for a Rude and now a small shaft Merc.