prop decisions

J

John Richied

Okay here is the deal, let me make sure I have this right…

First off you want top speed, that is your highest priority; Stay with a three-blade prop.

This prop would be used for running light loaded on your XB-2002 with a freshly rebuilt 1997 225 ProMax.

If you don’t remove or up your rev limiter with a 30 pitch around 96ish mph will be your top speed. So you have to decide if you are going to leave the rev limiter stock @ 6750? I would have the rev limiter raised.
If you are dead set on leaving your rev limiter stock, and still insist on bigger top end numbers then I would go with 1.75 gears over your current 1.87 gears. That gear swap will get you to about the hundred mark with your 29 SRX and for sure with a 30 Lightning ET.

The other option is leaving your gears as is @ 1.87, and rev limiter @ 6750 Rpm’s and going with a larger then 30 pitched prop. This would not be my choice at all; I really don’t care to run a prop with more then 30 pitch ever again. I just don’t think a 2.5 225 ProMax has the torque and power to spin it up very well and you end up raising the propshaft height up. The boat becomes too much of a dog, and is harder to get to take a set and drive on the top end.

If I was in your shoes (and I have been) I would watch for a deal like this 30 Lightning ET for sale on Scream & Fly.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119664

A true 30 lightning ET for $550 like new is better then owning all three of the following.
A SRX for $250
An old style Chopper for $200
And a Trophy for $200

When you want to go fly down the lake you will reach for the Lightning ET every time! The other three props will just collect dust in my experience and have $650 tied up in props you just don’t use.

Here is what I would do…Get yourself a 30 Lightning ET, master driving and setting your rig up to drive it to its full potential on the rev limiter.
Then when you want 4 or 5 mph more, you can do it with your 30 ET.

whipper

Q

I agree John on both counts. Im going threw the same thing and my salution is up the 6750 to 7500 proped for 7200, first of all.{around 800 bucks for ACU upgrade} Get a better 30 pitch 3 blade like a ET or for a GS chopper11,s are supost to cary my hull better aparently never tried one yet but I will. I really really like killer hole shots so my first new prop will be the X OB. With the new 15 inch barrel Todd figured on my set up I would only loose about 2-3 mph on top with that 4 blade over a 3 yet have a great hole shot and mid range. Lost of guys are saying the same thing with these props very efficiant. I would go with a 29 pitch just 1 down in a 4 which usually should be 2 down or more for hole shots. The blades are shorter because of the big barrel and there for take less touque to spin the Quad 4XOB over a 14 or 14 1/2 4blade. James

catfish123

John R. offers you excellent advice and if you follow it, you will save a ton of money on unecessary experimentation. I have been there and done that by trying a ridiculous number of props. No one prop will do it all but the 30 ET is simply the best top end prop.

Speedman

John, you da man!, I justy found out I can get the Lightneing Et For cost through my mechanic, He is going to price one out Monday as his catalogues did not have any performance props in them!

Wicky

30" Performance Prop yamacopy tweaked by Hackney for a GSE. 1.75 gears.
Hydromotive cone=98.5 GPS
Handles awesome.

J

John Richied

Wicky, a 30 lightning ET @ 6750 (Promax rev limiter) with 1.75 gears would be a hundred and a tad. ;)