Prop Question

boater777777

I have a 99 XB2003 with a 225 PM and I think it has a 6850 limiter ,(right??)
Anyway I run a 28 pitch RE -3 as a all around prop and like it.
But my question is if I wanted to run someone a quarter mile or so. would a smaller pitch prop get me to the end of a quarter faster with out hitting the limiter ?

Rusrog

It will get you through the 1/4 quicker but it will probably hit the limiter depending on how much shorter you go in pitch.

Are you hitting the limiter with the RE? How long does it take you to hit it(distance)?

hullbilly

I have a 99 XB2003 with a 225 PM and I think it has a 6850 limiter ,(right??)
Anyway I run a 28 pitch RE -3 as a all around prop and like it.
But my question is if I wanted to run someone a quarter mile or so. would a smaller pitch prop get me to the end of a quarter faster with out hitting the limiter ?
Depends on how competitive you want to be and where you want to race. I won the 2009 DSRA Perf. Bass & Ski World Championship (1/4 mile drag racing) in a xb2003 with 225 pmax. You'll need a 22p wheel and no limiter. The boat is tricky to setup for ideal holeshot.

Good Luck! Once you start drag racing, you'll never go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. I'm pretty sure the stock limiter is at 6750. With a 22p and 1:87 gear ratio, you'll be on the limiter in approx 300 feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

boater777777

So the first thing I woulld need to do if I raced.Not pro. is to work on the limiter. which goes back to my last post on tweeking the pro max . Thanks to all.

xb03fs

Steve, If yours is regular shaft you will be able to try a 24P soon enough

hullbilly

So the first thing I woulld need to do if I raced.Not pro. is to work on the limiter. which goes back to my last post on tweeking the pro max . Thanks to all.
Yes sir, drag racing and rev limiters should not even be used in the same sentence!!!!!!!

In a drag race, especially with a heavier boat, you want your motor to spin up as soon as possible. You want your boat to leave going straight forward as quickly as possible. With heavy boats, i.e. bassboat, this is hard to do.

Here's one of the World Championship races. This is a stock promax turning 8600 rpm with a 22. Plastic bearing cages, side pinned stock pistons and the whole 9! We had a blast racing this past year.

http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/hullbilly1/?action=view&current=20091003_06.flv

Good Luck!

Last edited: