Prop shaft?

whipper

I was just wondering how much tolerance there would be on a 225PM small shaft for out of round if any. When I spin the shaft with a 30 chopper11 on it appears to the eye not be straight? It seems to have a warble in it. So I pulled the prop and used the coat hanger trick and placed the point of the hanger over the center punched spot on the end of the shaft and turned the shaft slowly to see if it moved. It never left the center that I could tell. At least nothing measurable by eye? I put my 28DR4 on and spun the prop and things look pretty normal? The treads kinda make the shaft have the elution like a spiral I think appearing bent? Does this make sence! The reason I checked was the 30chopper11 has a lot of cup in it that I wasn't used to and it had a bit of vibration feeling at slower speeds. Once I got the rpm up it was quite smooth feeling but not like the DR4? I'm going out tomorrow and am leaving on the DR4 because I know that prop and can gage it better. If the shaft was bent shouldn't it show at higher RPM more or less? Whats the best way to tell?I don't need to have the shaft break at 90mph:gasp Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. James

froggy

Whipper,

Why aren't you at WAR???????? Seriously, based on your "coat hangar" test, your prop shaft is fine, it's your Chopper II that's out of round. Either your Flo-torque hub is not concentric or your Chopper II is not concentric. Get a, brand new, flo-torque hub assembly (you'll soon need one if you are running one of the plastic ones anyway) and check for concentricity. If it still wobbles, send your propeller back for another one.

Just my $.02

froggy

fishnfireman

I figure froggy hit the nail on the head.

The very first flo-torque I ever had, would vibrate bad at idle, but seemed to smooth out once you gassed it. It was a plastic one !
I sold it with the prop. and have used the good metal ones ever since !

whipper

Sound good .Ill test the prop shaft at the lake again with the old fathfull.I thought it must be the hub or prop because it wasnt makeing sence that with the other prop on it seemed OK. Ill get the good insert and try the Chopper again. The hub I was useing has many wot runs and prop stands on it.:big grin Do you know what the part # is for the good metal flow touque hub kit that fits a small shaft? James

Last edited:

whipper

Froggy I would have been in Porland tonight if I was going. Me and John Richied were meeting up in the morrning and driving the rest of the way together,BUT:sad ?? I couldnt take the risk of my insurance being void! Apparently in Canada were only covered to the bordering states? So after Washinton I would have no insurance in case somthing happens on the road or at the lake. That really sucked when I found that out in March when I went to renew my policy. I called everywhere USA and Canada and if they would insure an Allison it was the same.{Most wouldnt} All USA insurance companies said you have to be a US citizen. Thats why I am not at war!banghead IT was a real let down since I had the cabbin booked and everything was a go. I you all have a great time I know with Pinkey there, there wont be a dull moment:laughing :laughing Ill be thinking about you guys and in the mean time Ill just head to my local pond and beat on some tin fishen boats with there 100 hondas that think there the fastest boat on the lake.{untill I show up} James

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Concentricity? Didn't Edison discover that? Ben Franklin?
Root word: Concentric. Hey, I thought we weren't supposed to discuss religion around here!

fishnfireman

NAwww
I think it was Nuten-- when that concentric apple. whacked him in his not so concentric nogen. and this object at rest met with an object what was movin..and all them forces started to wurkin--and he theorised that there wus other forces at work. and started making all them other theries about masses and densities and newtens.an relatives and such..... (I think )

GrandLakeGAR

Whipper, the part number on my "good" steel insert (drive sleeve) for ET's and Choppers is 850821. It's 3 7/8" long. The one for my Trophy's is 850821-1, it's 3 5/8" long. You don't need the whole kit, the other parts are common.

whipper

Thanks. I just ordered the new Flowtorque.Not in stock. I just come in from the lake and all was well useing the DR4 so must have been the hub. The prop is good it just came back from Performance and it was my first run with it since. I was useing the hub from my 25 trophy on the Chopper11, I didnt think there was a differance? James