Prop Suggestion - Grand Sport w/ 2005 2.5L XS

wrbaum

Probationary User
My 1999 Grand Sport with a 2005 2.5L XS, 1.87 Sports Master came with a 23P Trophy Plus. Currently hitting 6800-7000 rpm WOT and only getting 58-60 mph. I definitely need more pitch, what are peoples thoughts on a 26P Trophy. Looking for a good overall prop while loaded (normally 2-3 adults and 2 kids).

Attachments

GotMyAlly

That's definitely not enough pitch, assuming your motor is healthy.

In my opinion, a trophy makes a fine stump jumper.

But if it were me, I'd call Todd at hydromotive. He'll probably steer you towards a quad IV-OT

wrbaum

Probationary User
Yeah, I went through a few forums on here and Hydromotive seems to be the go to prop company that a lot of people are recommending, especially for the GS. Thanks for your response.

RiverRat71

The quad IV-OT is a great prop on the GS but the problem is right now they don't have any & Todd can't say when they will. I had a 27 trophy for my GS & it ran pretty well for me. RR

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say first thing is that something isn't right. At that rpm with that prop you've got about 25% slip, so it's a bad prop or something else is wrong, should be running in the 70s with that setup. A good trophy works great for all around. I've got a worked 26 trophy that's outperformed all the hydromotives I've run except one. I've come to like the promax props too, they seem to run really well and efficient. Pro et's also seem to be a great all around prop. Where you located? Find some people and try everything you can put on the boat, you'll never know what you'll like.

motobuffy

I have both a 27 hydromotive and a 26 Trophy worked by Robbie Patterson (that I used on my 2003) available. PM me if interested.

Lotus 50

If Hydromotive can't help, I would try another Trophy. For the money, it's hard to beat a used Trophy. There are better ski props and better top end props, but to bolt on and do anything, pretty good props. A 26 should get you into low 80s.

aj06bolt12r

Assuming your running a sportmaster lower unit with correct engine height and surfacing the prop... I would think that combo should be able to swing a 28p prop with no issues. I'd be looking for a nice used 28p chopper with a Hoss cut or an Allison cut to try if I were you. Maybe an RE-3 if you can find one.

Re-reading your post if you are going to routinely have a boat full of people a 26p 4 blade probably is a better choice... The promax props get good reviews too.. But soon enough you will probably find yourself with a collection of props and swap them out for the specific occasion.