querstion on flo torque

Speedman

O.k. so I bought a Hydr t4x with the flo tourque hub. I have never seen one of these so help me out. I just slided the brass colar over the shaft and then put the prop on? is there a special amount of torque I need to use on it or can I just crank it hard?. the prop also came with 4 plugs for the vent holes. Any idea how many, if any I should put in and what exactly are they for? Do I need to use a special lock nut? looks like the brass piece is set up for std merc washer. Tell me what the advantages of the flo torque are? set up is an xb2002 with a 225 Pm, SM Lu, some mods on the motor.

Thanks

GotMyAlly

You'll insert the square bore piece through the leading edge of the prop, then insert the part with the locking tabs from the trailing edge of the prop. Then just slide it on the propshaft and torque it down.

The benefit of the flo-torq hub is that somebody with a fat shaft can run your prop as long as they have a hub. And if you tear up a hub you can simply replace the plastic insert instead of spinning a hub on the old style press-in hubs.

I guess you got the OTIV? If so, I run mine all holes plugged unless I am running pretty heavy, then I pull two plugs. However, if you have exhaust relief in the mid section, you'll probably need to go ahead and open all the holes up.

Speedman

I run a heavy tourney load most of the time and have a Gforce tuner with an exhaust cut out.. As I am not too familiar with this type of hub, I am not sure what you mean? I have a washer that goes on first then a piece insert with the tabs for the locking merc washer. it is the actual metal insert that has the slines in it and has 4 sqare tabs that fit into the rubber hub. Looks pretty self explanatory. but in your instructions, it sounds like there is another part I do not have? upon closer look, it looks like that square piece is already pressed in? it is smooth on the inside not splined but as it is at the leading edge, I assume it will fit right on? Also, do I need a torque wrench or anything special other than my merc socket? Thanks

GotMyAlly

The fat shaft hub is one piece. The small shaft hub is a two piece deal.

This is a diagram from the small shaft hub kit.

The fat shaft doesn't use the 'aft adapter'.

whipper

Nice pic.:smile I always torque mine.My prop wrench is a cheap torque wrench with an extention to clear the prop so I can just spin off the nylock nut. I think you can see in the pics all you need to know. Brass Thrush washer flat against the gearcase, I usualy leave the sleeve in the prop to put on the shaft then turn the aft adapter till it lines up with the plines then push it down in. There are 4 slots in the sleave and the adapter can slide down any one of them to fit.You need the little tab washer next and onece you get it all together bang down the tabs to fit in the slots on the adapter. I torque to 80lbs. I think 60 is the norm but read that merc recomended up to 100 in a release a while back so i figured 80 split it in the middle. I have never had a prop come loose at that. I change props at least 5 or more times a week. All props go on the same way. If its a pressed in hub then you just put in the adapter then the rest. always use a thrush washer! If its a solid splined unit like the old choppers thrush washer then prop then a flat washer and nut. Torque all the same. I use a 2x4 about 2ft long. Some will say not to but if your carfull and go smooth and not abruptly crank the prop up to the wood and just slowly torque it when shes getting there its not a problem. James

Speedman

that's it! thanks, My Delrin? sleeve is already pressed in. Is that normal or does it come out? thanks for all the info guys!

BigRedAlli

My Delrin? sleeve is already pressed in. Is that normal or does it come out?
Depends on the prop. Some of mine, the sleeve falls right out, and some you have to beat them out...:cuss

If you have a tight one, make sure you recheck the torque after you run it a while...

GrandLakeGAR

Gary, I sent everything you need except the tab washer and lock nut. The Delrin insert is new and tight, leave it alone. Just put the prop on and go run it. Try it with no plugs first, hole shot for me was better that way. Add them later if required. Good luck with it. GAR

Speedman

Thanks George, I just wasn't sure as I never seen anything like this. Thanks for the prop, it looks awesome! I talked to Todd at hydromotive on my set up and he gave me a few pointers on height and set back. I am all set, gonna try it next week

JR

I tried using the delrin sleeved flotorque and ended up being towed in by a Jonboat. I had to switch to the heavy duty solid flotorque hub. I guess if your boat is light and your engine is smaller with a low pitch prop the delrin would be OK.
JR

Speedman

JR, what happened? I always carry a spare prop anyways. I am running an xb02 with a beefed up 225 promax. The prop is a 28 quad IV OT. What is the heavy duty one?

whipper

You can get a flow torque from merc in plastic or metal inserts. Metal for high horse power and plastic for stock 225 or less. I say that because my 225 is stock and use the plastic one with no troubles. Todd told me that.:big grin If your 225 is beefed up you may consider the metal sleaved one? JR,s 225 is beefed up also. James

GotMyAlly

If you use the plastic hub, carry an extra sleeve or two in the boat. Those are designed to break away on impact.

GrandLakeGAR

The prop guys at Mercury Racing told me that the Delrin plastic insert was OK in a ET on my 280. I ran them for years in props up to 30 pitch with no problem. Hydromotive told me it was OK in the 28 Quad4-OT when I ordered it for a 225X. I did crack one once when I hit a log, it probably saved me a bent or broken prop shaft or a ruined prop and it still got me home without a tow. I have some steel inserts but just like the plastic better. Use the one you think is best for your set up. GAR