Question for Todd--Hydromotive

Bob Ant

What's the difference between a Trophy plus and a Tempest PLus. If I stumped ya you can ask your dad :) Just curious. Since I have an abundance of choppers I was going to trade for one on S&F so I can beat it up in the weeds at Guntersville and not screw up my Hydromotive Prop :)

Keep the flat side down.
Your buddy,
Bob Anthony

GotMyAlly

You mean besides the obvious difference? Trophy is a 4 blade and Tempest is a 3 blade. Trophy is a small tube and the Tempest is a large tube.

Bob Ant

Well, I didn't know that either. I was wondering also about bow lift and top-end . I guess the 3 blade has the better top-end

TBuck2003

Bob,
Neal covered the obvious.The Tempest Plus will provide more bow lift usually.Will also carry a load better in theory because of diameter and the thru hub design.The trophy plus will probably spool up better in the same pitch,by that I mean quicker.Tough to say which would be better beauty is in the eye of the beholder.Dont think you can go wrong either way for just having something on there to use and abuse.If you go with the Tempest we can always doctor it for better holeshot if it is sluggish.Hope this helps.Later

Todd

whipper

OK I have to say this its been bothering me for a while. There is no such thing as a prop that has {Bow lift}. I realize that a lot of boaters use this as describing a prop that has good load carrying characteristics but the correct term is Stern lift. Its no big deal because most people know what it means but all props to be politically correct will provide more or less stern Lift. If your really trying to anilize a props ability to carry a load or carry the hull the correct term will discribe more accuratly the features of a given prop like best hight to run a prop based on the props ability to provide stern lift, dictates how much poss trim can be applied and a whole lot off other variables. James

GotMyAlly

OK I have to say this its been bothering me for a while. There is no such thing as a prop that has {Bow lift}. I realize that a lot of boaters use this as describing a prop that has good load carrying characteristics but the correct term is Stern lift. Its no big deal because most people know what it means but all props to be politically correct will provide more or less stern Lift. If your really trying to anilize a props ability to carry a load or carry the hull the correct term will discribe more accuratly the features of a given prop like best hight to run a prop based on the props ability to provide stern lift, dictates how much poss trim can be applied and a whole lot off other variables. James
I'd have to disagree there. My 3 blade performer runs with the nose higher at 7 on the trim guage than my 4 blade hydromotive does at the same trim angle. Therefore, wouldn't you say one has more bow lift?

TBuck2003

Whipper,
I must say you are real astute when it comes to prop physics.You are absolutely correct on your thinking,I just had the same conversation yesterday with a guy.Neal you are correct in what you are saying about the three vs four blade with bow attitude,but here is whats happening.The four blade is more like a paddle wheel effect trying to climb a ladder in turn lifting the stern and making the boat run flat,but clean.The three blade actually sucks the ass end of the boat towards the water,this stern down attitude raises the bow.So Whipper is correct when he says it is one or the other with stern lift.On the offshore boats we deal with all the time,someone who needs more bowlift we will tell to spin the props inward on a twin engine application.Left prop on right side,Right prop on left side,this will suck the stern down in the water and hence raise the bow.There are alot of physics that go in to boat attitude,and different blades,3,4,5,6 all do something a little different to effect how you carry the stern.Hope this makes sense guys.Later GO BUCKS!!!!!

Todd