Rigging and Wiring

Dave Hensley

Folks just a word of advice. After many years of owning and selling Allison boats I thought I had seen every conceivable wiring Faux pas. Not. I found another creative trick on my current project because some Einstein couldn't figure out the main circuit breaker was bad. IT takes hours and days to clean these messes up. I haven't worked on a new XB21 but the older boats starting with the XR2002 are very similar. I am not in love with the original switch/fuse arrangement Darris used but it is not a place to hack in, twist, tape, butt splice, stack spade connectors, solder, crimp or otherwise screw with when mounting other accessories. If you are going to add depth finders, radios(ugh), lights etc pull in a positive and negative terminated at the battery, or better yet the trim pump and mount a terminal strip under the dash for that wiring. Fuse it and keep things neat. If you want something to run only when the key switch is on find the purple wire in the key switch harness AT THE DASH and use it. Home run wiring runs all the way from the dash to the battery are stupid for anything but the stock harness. The only thing connected to the battery should be the stock wiring harness, the trim pump(if remote) and the motor leads. If you don't have a remote trim pump to pick up pos and neg from for a terminal strip then that can be ran to the battery. And lastly.....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't cut holes in these boats to mount speakers. There are numerous systems out there that are self contained and can be stowed under the front deck . If you can't figure out what you need...ask someone who understands basic wiring...don't find a red and black wire and start splicing.

David Shook

They start purple and go thru the full color range buy yourself a spool of wire so the color stays the same from front to back just finished one had one circuit change colors three times from front to back , Dave I cant believe it has taken you this long to get pissed LMAO.
Shook

David Shook

It Was Doing good till I started rewiring a boat Lol Just B S'ing you my friend Thanks for asking Hope all is well with you and the family.
Shook

Dave Hensley

Hope you can get down to the Rally a couple of days. Working on a XB2003 right now with a 280 but hope to have the XR2002 there too. You need to sit in that one.

dubmoney

Dave, have you ever done a wiring Diagram for an XB2003. I am in the process of doing one. I have a trim pump and jack plate pump, inboard fuel pump, pyrometers, blinker trim, all the extras and mine just needs a total redue. I am considering using a Blue sea fuse panel mounted in the starboard rear locker.

Couple questions, if I did this could I abandon the main fuse breaker that darris used? Also, would you recomend I run a relay from my ignition switch to power dash accessories, gauges etc. Also below is the start of my wiring diagram.

upload_2017-5-5_11-38-12.pngupload_2017-5-5_11-42-5.png

Bobalouie

I used a Blue Sea fuse panel when redoing my XB02. I left the breaker in line because unless you are rewiring everything, there are still things that breaker is protecting that you may not run into your fuse panel.

Dave Hensley

I like relays for hyd plate, trim of course and fuel pump. Everything else can be fused or as post above showed a fuse panel. Gauges, depth finders etc draw very low current and can be wired in with 16-18 gauge. No need for battery cable to run your Lowrance....I have also been using the Weatherhead water tight connectors.....AWESOME!!! Also, when you need multiple grounds or power get the terminal strips with the bus inserts that you can run one power wire to and pick up as many terminals as you need without stacking wires.

Last edited:

Jon

Supporting Member
I just put new speakers in Shook's old XR. I messed up the first hole, but got it the second time. I did home run on all 3 amps. Turned out pretty good. Switched the power at the anchor light switch.

Dave Hensley

I just put new speakers in Shook's old XR. I messed up the first hole, but got it the second time. I did home run on all 3 amps. Turned out pretty good. Switched the power at the anchor light switch.
You did good JW......pictures or it doesn't count. Now if you only had a block to put all that 280 stuff on.

Last edited:

Brack

Shook that Red boat should be good on the wiring,..........and yes ,....Ive seen the wiring magically change colors in a Allison,....go figure

and yes some folks need to put the saw and drill down,........

ROBERT CROSS

My gripe......the SmartCraft bundle that isn't used. :eek:
In GS#2 it was just wadded up and stuffed behind the bulkhead above the Hotfoot. No ties, tape or anything to secure it. Ended up zip tying to the panel just to keep it off the bottom of the boat. Hard to point a finger....there was some wiring work done before I took delivery. :oops:

Dave Hensley

Wiring from factory or dealers left much to be desired on fit and function. It also takes a lot of time to custom make trim lines and motor power cables that you don't have to wad up and stick in the bilge. Don't get me started on the key switch harnesses that come in 5' increments with not much that can be done on reterminating there because they are potted. In other words when you see one done right you know someone has spent hours and big $$$ getting it that way. I love a race boat where you make your own stuff and it is just enough to make it go from A-B. If I ever get around to finishing the 1987 XB2002 it will have no factory wiring.

ROBERT CROSS

I can't find it now.....but in the manual I got for the ROS Merc states.....do NOT cut the SmartCraft harness for unused wiring...."bundle & hide."

In our case it wasn't bundled or hidden......It's still a bit of a mess behind the dash, we'll get to it though.;)

Jon

Supporting Member
Don't get me started on the key switch harnesses that come in 5' increments with not much that can be done on reterminating there because they are potted.
I throw the key switch out on boats and just buy a new one. The potting doesn't seem to last forever, and usually someone has terminated a wire within .5" of the switch.

I love a race boat where you make your own stuff and it is just enough to make it go from A-B.
Crawl under the dash in my XR at rally. I just buy spools of cable and go to town. I had to relocate the battery up front to carry a passenger/cooler, whereas Shook at it in a better spot for racing. It turned out pretty good.