Right prop for 2003xb

bnajackson5

I have a 98' 2003xb with a 225 Promax on it. I want it to be fast but just as important to me is handling, quick hole shot and ride...I am mostly a fisherman that wants good performance. When purchased it had a 4-blade offshore 28 pitch Merc prop and that is okay but not great.
Please, give me your suggestions.

hullbilly

I bought a xb2003 this past summer, so I'm new to the game, but I've done a lot of research over the years of wanting an Allison. Your setup is probably the most common allison out there, so there has been a ton of discussion on props for our rigs. Spend some time using the search function at the top of the forums page. Just type in something like "best prop xb2003" and you'll get all the historical posts on this subject. I would do this on this forum and all the other forums you routinely visit ( i.e. screamandfly, fastbass, etc....) I've learned a lot doing this same thing.

I'll give you my 2 cents worth, but I haven't personally ran many props yet. Here's what I've learned from the years of reading the boards: Our boats seem to like the big ear props like the big ear merc choppers or Mazco RE3 or 4. Being that choppers are readily available used and are relatively priced lower, I think this is a good place to start.

You'll find a ton of people that love the Hoss props, both the Triton 1 and Hyperdrive. There also seems to be a big following for the Hydromotive prop too. Try as many as you can and talk to as many people as you can.

The two props I've ran are the 26 Trophy Plus and a 28 Merc ET. In my opinion, the Trophy is a pretty good prop and its what I learned to drive with. Handles good, and with a stock rev limited 225 promax, my boat runs 88.7 mph. At that speed, the prop is all over the limiter. I didn't have enough seat time to give the ET a fair judgement, but it came out of the hole great and had a lot of lift (I think it was worked for my buddy's 21ft. Bullet). It seemed to have a little more steering torque, but it may be that I'm used to a 4 blade. General consensus is that the 4 blade handles a little better on average, but the 3 blades are generally faster on top. If you have the stock rev limiter I'd say start with a 28. If you're non-rev limited, most people seem to like the 26. I'm in the market for a 28 allison cut chopper as we speak!

You came to the right place! Hope I've helped some.
Mark

Last edited:

bnajackson5

You guys have kind of confirmed my research that 28n pitch is the way to go...The Mazco and Trophy 4 blades are the ones I had looked at the most...not familiar with Hydro

ally2dextreme

normally the 28 trophy dosnt work well.we did use that prop on the big 21 to run 102mph but the 27 would be a better choice if you can stay off the limiter...the perfomer from performance propeller runs great and holds up great..you can also get it custom cut for your needs

xb2003

How much setback you running..hydraulic or cables? Does the lower unit have a torque tab? Setup plays a major role in steering torque and handling with the different props.

I'm a big fan of the old a5 choppers. You can get a good bone stock 28 chopper and have worked for your intentions cheap. I ran stock 28 trophy, 27 trophy, 27 quad four, and a5 chopper with weed cutters removed and little cup added. The chopper was by far the best over all performer carrying a two man load heavy, hole shot and top end. but thats with my setup.

I know Chad202 has had some good things to sy about TXP props for fishing. He has ran more props than most along with Pickwick angler. The best advice is to run evrything you can get your hands on. Each hull likes something a little different.

bigtis

I have a 98' 2003xb with a 225 Promax on it. I want it to be fast but just as important to me is handling, quick hole shot and ride...I am mostly a fisherman that wants good performance. When purchased it had a 4-blade offshore 28 pitch Merc prop and that is okay but not great.
Please, give me your suggestions.
find a good drag 4 by performance propeller. 26-28. got one on scream and fly right now.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I havent ran alot of props but, so far nothing has ran as good from top to bottom as my 26 ET cut Chopper.

catfish123

Loaded up for fishing a trophy is hard to beat. A light Allison with a Lightning ET on it is hard to beat. Matt

CamTra

I'm running a 25 pitch TXP on my 2003 with a 200 merc, bob's nose cone with 15 inches of setback and hydraulic steering. The TXp is a great all around prop but is a little slower on top end. I also have a 28 Mazco RE4 and it is a very good prop. From what most say for top end its hard to beat the et's.

pickwickangler

I have ran a bunch of props on my XB03's and here is MY experiences with some of the different props that I have ran on MY boats. Keep in mind some boats are going to like somethings a little better than others and the drivers are going to like different things. Most of these were with the 225 pro max.
1. Performance Propellers 28 performer. Bought new and grinded for my set up. Sucked out of the hole for a fishing prop (loaded it would take over 5 seconds at full throttle to break the bow over) but would carry a load well ran good in rough water. It wanted to slip alot also while in cruise mode. Sent it back to get worked, bullet cut it and tightened the prop up for holeshot. Pretty much same results as above.

2. Performance Propeller Drag4. I bought that one used and have no idea what it was worked for. Came out of the hole good. Didnt really like carrying a load. For some reason (may have been worked for something else) it would not pick the bow up at high speed. I hear some folks sayin that theirs runs great but the ONE I had didn't for a fishing boat.

3. Mercury choppers. I have ran a bunch of different cut and stock choppers. They are easy to come by and are relatively inexpensive. Most of em have a good holeshot and with a full blade they will carry a load well. I had a old beat up 28 chopper that seemed to run better than any other ones for some reason but my prop shaft broke and it is sitting in the bottom of the lake. A 26 chopper will come out of the hole great, great acceleratin , and 83 to 86 on the limiter with a load. All the choppers I have ran seemed to work pretty well, A great all around fishing prop.

4. Mercury Trophy. The trophy's seem to do everything average, they do carry a load rather well. Main problem with a trophy is IT IS GOING TO CRACK. I wouldn't even suggest trying to test run one because of all the failures and what could happen when a blade pops off.

5. Hoss hyperdrive. Great holeshot, midrange and top end. I would rank this one above a stock chopper that has not been worked for your needs. Mine lacks a little bit in the load carrying department but it has not been worked either.

6. Hydromotive Quad IV-OT. Decent holeshot (better than trophy) decent midrange, excellent top end when loaded and a good rough water prop. For some reason my boat/motor never could pull one on top end like some of the other xb03 225's I have seen. Great guys to deal with also.

In my opinion when it comes to loadin the boat down with 2 and going fishing on a summer day with all the other folks inda world, alot of folks over prop or prop for top end and alot of times it is hard to achieve and maintain top end on a busy lake. I like to pitch down one or two and bust out a quik number and enjoy a much faster holeshot and midrange once the livewells get loaded. I guess I have ran over 60 props now on a 03 and that don't make expert on anything except setting my boat/motor up for what I want it to do. What works good for me may not work good for any body else out there :beer:

CamTra

I have ran my buddy's hydromotive and it runs very similar to my TXP. Great hole shot, handled well and was 2 mph faster than my TXP. I didn't run it with a load, but my guess is that it would handle it well. My buddy has a Basscat and he swears by it.