sad day for allison owners family

allisonriverrat

Got the news from Mary Ann St. Arnaud that our dear friend, Mr. Jim St. Arnaud passed away on October 17, 2014 due to injuries from an automobile accident on October 14th in South Carolina. To watch him at the Rally, drive the wheel off of his Allison at 70+ years old was a pleasure for all of us. He was always the talk of the Rally. Everyone that met him, loved him and enjoyed hanging out with him and talking of our passion of Allison boats. My wife and I were blessed to have spent some time with him on the 10th of October to enjoy the company and friendship of both Jim and Miss Mary Ann as did Jim Kolden and his family in February. He will truly be missed and thought of for many years to come. Hearts are heavy by many today. Please keep Miss Mary Ann in your thoughts and prayers as they were partners in life and this will be very hard for her, losing her best friend.

racerx

Sorry to hear he was a great guy and I always liked talking with him and yea he could drive that basser like Top Gun he will be missed by myself..

allisonriverrat

yes Jeff.. I will always remember the fun the two of yawl had year before last... thank you for those memories... cherished forever!

suicidealli

So sad, Jim was an awesome man. I always told him he was my idol. The first time I called him that, he laughed and said he was only running a 100 mph. I laughed, and said I hope I can drive an ally a 100 when I'm in my 70's. Prayers sent to his wife Mary Ann, and family.

Roy & Brenda

allisonriverrat

well said Roy !! may I be blessed enough at 72 to drive an Allison like that too !! when I was at his house couple weeks ago he was so excited about next rally!!

racerx

Hey Tony how did you find out he died from his wife?? Sounds like it was a bad accident and that sucks..

allisonriverrat

yes Jeff.. she called me today... after trying to deal with what happened in another state.... he was on his way to visit his brother....

jimbob88

Had a nice talk with Mary Ann. Thank you Tony for calling me. She's not gonna do anything anytime soon. Did a Catholic ceremony at hospital in south Carolina & then he was cremated by his request. She's waiting to do something at home church/area when she's ready. Could be a month Away.
I feel blessed to have brought my family over to meet them last year. My kids were royalty to Jim & Mary Ann. They were over the top trying to make sure a 5 & 9 year old were taken care of. When we left their house the wife said how super nice they were. Please keep Mary Ann in your thoughts. She knows how much the ally family meant to Jim.

Last edited:

Texas Dear

Mr. Jim was a great friend and a part of the Allison family. We will really miss him. Our prayers and thoughts are sent to is wife Mary Ann and his family. The Rallies won't be the same without him. I hope I can drive a boat like him when I'm 70+.

SSTOM

I met Jim several yrs ago at the east rally he was always in a great mood and I don't think I ever heard him say anything negative about anyone. I always loved watching him in his 02 he could drive the heck out of it. I looked foward to seeing him every year at the rally my wife and I got lost with him at the 13 rally we were hauling up river side by side and didn't realize we had passed the Mermaid. The Rally won't be the same without Mr Jim prayers for his wife and family. I think we need to do something in remembrance of Mr Jim at the Rally.

Last edited:

ROBERT CROSS

Condolences sent.

He gave me hope...

Never met Jim personally, but felt a kinship...we shared 1942.

When I saw that photo of him 'up on the pad' I thought, 'see there is hope for me too.'
I will probably never reach his ability but I'm sure we both felt the same, an Allison is not just a fast boat, it makes for a great time machine.

With Respect,

Bob & Sandra

TBuck2003

RIP Jim I will miss our conversations on set up and props. He was a pure pleasure to be around. We all can learn a thing or three from Mr. Jim. Prayers sent to Mary Ann and family. Enjoy that single malt in the sky Jim !!!!

RedAllison

I was just numbed lastnight when I received the news of our loss of Mr. Jim. As was said, he was such a rally fixture for so many years I'll forever be looking over my shoulder for him at future rallies. :very sad

To know him was to certainly love him, that smile, his laid back demeanor, his enthusiasm & love for the rallies & A-family. I don't know how many miles his ol white & teal 02 had on it but I'll BET it has more at WAO than ANY of the next closest 3-4 combined. He WAS our "Iron Man"! Who can't forget his "travelthon" a couple years ago at Clifton? After driving 14hrs by himself from FL he took his boat off the trailer & asked a few of us to look at it. The strapped down boat literally held the salt eaten trailer together. We doubted it would safely make it through the week just making the 3 mile journey from the hotel to the marina. Much less a return trip home to FL. So after some calls & talks Mr. Jim struck a deal with Lundy for his empty 03 trailer. But that trailer was in IOWA! So off Mr. Jim headed to IO, got the trailer, returned to Clifton for the last couple of days then he headed back home to FL. The man WAS Superman & Iron Man all rolled into one!

All of us would do ANYTHING for Mr. Jim but his politeness and manners always had him acting as if he were imposing anytime he asked for a favor or help. LOL I remember at his last rally he caught me at the ramp and asked, "Hey Red would you mind if I borrow some cooler space in your boat today?" As he handed me a lukewarm 6pk of Ol Milwaukee Beast Light. I laughed & said, "Mr Jim you can help yourself to ANYTHING in that cooler & I've got MUCH better in there than this swill" as I took his beer & put it in the cooler. He just laughed & said he was to old & unsophisticated to change beer now. :at the bar

And "the rope", at Clifton several years ago he needed a long rope to tie off up on the trees with at the beach. I had my deckboat & when he asked I just gave him my anchor rope. I didn't need it & honestly forgot about it that week. Well a whole year goes by & the very next year, the first day at the beach up pulls Mr. Jim & as soon as he hit the beach here he comes with a box in his hand. He was apologizing the whole way. He found it in his boat later in the fall & felt terrible for keeping it, he put it in the box & was going to mail it to me but thought better to just personally hand it to me at Clifton. I laughed & assured him he had been much to concerned about a rope... I STILL have that rope in THAT box sitting in the bow of my deckboat! Call me a simpleton but memories come in all forms!

I just LOVED THE GUY & the rallies won't be the same without our beloved, "Mr. Jim". :very sad

RIP dear sir, thanks for the kindness, the example & the time together doing what we love most.
RA

Ps
I found this pic from 2 years ago (Mr. Jim's last Clifton Rally) of he & Clienmark on Pieboys "ShotSki"! :beer:

Attachments

BALD ALLISON

I think Mr. Jim was the sweetest man I knew. Always smiling, and always positive and fun to hang out with, you'll be missed Buddy.

Phil

Morespeed4me

Sandy and I were so saddened to hear about Jim this morning. He was such a nice person and we always enjoyed and looked forward to his company. When the Lord calls our loved ones home he does leave a gift of memories in exchange for us. Even though Sandy and I did not know Mary Ann, her and Jim's entire family will be in our thoughts, our hearts and our prayers at this difficult time for them.