Set-Up on XR-2001

mwr

I need some input on the set up of a XR-2001. The boat is Matthew Caldwells 2005 model. According to Bill at Allison the weight of the boat is 510 pounds. I have a 6" jackplate and an running a stock 280 short shaft. The prop shaft is even with the pad and the fuel cell is 10 gallons mounted just behind the cross member. The battery is mounted in front of the cross member, just behind the seat. I am a little guy (about 165 pounds). I have owned five Allisons, but this one seems to drive a little different. Perhaps because I sit down so low it is hard for me to get the feel of where the trim should be. Your input is appreciated.

K.Kiser

I'm 5'9" and although I can see OK from the driver seat I still like to sit higher... I cut out a 1" piece of firm foam padding to fit into the butt of the seat and that was a much preferrable position for Me because factory seat "buckets" so low... Your weight distribution with rigging sound pretty good to Me, but a more qualified answer is sure to come...

hullbilly

I need some input on the set up of a XR-2001. The boat is Matthew Caldwells 2005 model. According to Bill at Allison the weight of the boat is 510 pounds. I have a 6" jackplate and an running a stock 280 short shaft. The prop shaft is even with the pad and the fuel cell is 10 gallons mounted just behind the cross member. The battery is mounted in front of the cross member, just behind the seat. I am a little guy (about 165 pounds). I have owned five Allisons, but this one seems to drive a little different. Perhaps because I sit down so low it is hard for me to get the feel of where the trim should be. Your input is appreciated.
Awesome boat! I think I'm second in line if you want to sell it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, first,,,I won't argue with you!

Sounds like your setup is pretty close. Can you describe what you feel? The newer bottoms, from my little bit of experience with mine, doesn't really like to fly high like my bassboat. Seems like it runs real clean with not much bow lift.

Your weight placement sounds about right, and with your bodyweight, the 6 inches of setback may work. You may want to the try the 8 inch plate. I'm about 15 to 20 lbs heavier than you, and my boat seems to like the 8 inch plate. Also, your motor could come up a little.

My boat seems to pop up all at once and then slowly pull down on the big end. This may be what you are feeling. The pop can be a bit of suprise if not expected.

What kind of prop are you running?

I've got a great place to test down here in Beaumont. We should hook up for some testing some time!

Good Luck!

Ranger976

Also, your motor could come up a little.

I agree with Hullbilly, my setup is identical to what you have but I'm running an 1/8th above and drives like a dream and that's running a Yamaha 24 drag. Keep in mind an XR will run a little flatter than other Allison's. However, I tip the scales at 210 I wouldn't change anything but the motor height. I have a total race weight of 1260.

Last edited:

mwr

Thanks guys. Hillbilly, I am an old guy and may let my boat go before to long, but not yet. I am runing a 26 ET. I have a 28 ET, a 29 Hoss and a 28 Cleaver. I may not have enough seat time in this boat-perhaps 30 to 40 minutes. I just thought that as I have lots of time in other Allisons I could just jump in this one and feel comfortable. I am not real uncomfortable, but as I get up to speed I just don't have the feel of the boat as I had with the others. Again, thanks and any other input will be appreciate.

hullbilly

Thanks guys. Hillbilly, I am an old guy and may let my boat go before to long, but not yet. I am runing a 26 ET. I have a 28 ET, a 29 Hoss and a 28 Cleaver. I may not have enough seat time in this boat-perhaps 30 to 40 minutes. I just thought that as I have lots of time in other Allisons I could just jump in this one and feel comfortable. I am not real uncomfortable, but as I get up to speed I just don't have the feel of the boat as I had with the others. Again, thanks and any other input will be appreciate.
One other thing I've noticed about the xr2001 versus my xb2003 is that the xr takes WAY LESS steering correction. To be honest with you, it basically drives itself. My point is, I was used to driving the xb2003, and it shocked me how different the xr was (way easier to drive IMO).

On the props, you'll definitely have plenty of bow lift with the props you listed, other than the cleaver possibly. Do you have a mechanical trim gauge in the boat? It may help you to get more comfortable in the boat.

mwr

Yep,. I have a Stainless trim gauge. I have it marked where the trim is neutral (that is no positive or negitive) I have been running it in that neutral position. Guys, I do apperciate your input. I am sure it will all pay off with a little more seat time.