? set-up xb 03 for good hole shot

xb03fs

skid planer
floatation in jackplate
allison foil or similar
smaller prop
don't keep all the weight in the back

Don't know I am a noob to allisons but these options worked in the past on past boat

bnajackson5

I have what appears to be the standard 20" midsection that came with the motor (It's a 96' and I did not buy it new. It does have 4 1" holes drilled in the midsection above the cavitation plate (area where it appears a bob's exhaust cover use to be)

chad202

What problem are you having with the holeshot? Is the engine bogging or venting too much?

bnajackson5

Trimmed all the way in it is very slow coming out of the hole. It pretty much has to be tucked or the bow rises straight up and it will almost blow out.

pickwickangler

From my experience it is mostly in the prop. Some slip way to much and for some motors some are to tight. On all my pro max's they have been way to loose and slip a lot until I had em worked.

GotMyAlly

What prop are you running? Lower pitch always helps.

Wedges can be added pretty cheap to give you more tuck...

bnajackson5

Yeah I was wondering if the prop might be the culprit. I'm running a 25 offshore (with motor when purchased) and I just picked up a 25 Trophy (not plus) and I'm going to try it next time on the water.

GFinch

With the 4 holes in the mid less exhaust is getting to the prop then it would without. This will allow the prop to bite more until you get closer to the power band of the engine. Cover two of the holes and see what happens. Some set ups the boat will just motor, like a tractor, up and out. With too much exhaust getting to the prop it will just slip.
It's all a balancing act.

bnajackson5

Update: Ran a 25 trophy yesterday. There was a significant difference in hole shot and overall performance. I plan on trying some of these other things you fellas have suggested and am open to anymore you can give.

Stace

Allyfoil Ally skidplaner and a set of balls made a big diff. on my 03. I have since added another ball between the transom and jackplate. Stace

Attachments

whipper

Nice Balls Stace!!!:beer: I have floatation in my setback also. BNA I noticed you saying your tucked in all the way? Honestly on my GS I always leave my motor all the way up to no less than 1/4 below or even also. The starting point with my trim is 8 bumps up from full in. If I try to start all the way in the acceleration is to fast to let me get loose for good acceleration. If i had faster trim maybe but not with the regular trim speed i have. As soon as the prop bites im on the trim keeping the forward half of the hull out of the water. If I burry the gearcase any lower than 1/4 below my hole shot will suffer big time because of these factors. One thing about useing a trophy for hole shot it will always give you one. Maybe not the best ever but always reliable to practice with. If a trophy isnt giveing you decent hole shot its not the prop I would say.