Setting trim?

Skydog

Guys how do you mark a good trim spot for a drag race? I dont have a gage is there any way? Set it flat and dont touch it? Allison G.S. 260

Thank you Skydog

jay j

draggin a grand sport

if in my opinion you have to look at the gauge you need more seat time
i have a gauge but never look at it unless i am at the very end. i usually
make a top end run and look where the gauge is at but when draggin
i use my arse and eyes. when you fly it enough you can tell where the nose needs to be. trimming to hard with less power on a heavy boat will
lead to paddle walk. trim computers are good but i do not think one would
work on these hulls efectively. i just river race and sometimes you get a good holeshot and set and sometimes you don't. as for the stainless marine gauge they are probably the best bet. i freind has one and they are very easy to read while underway. we race all the time 2 grandsports 2 225 pro max so we have done alot of testing and really we need 260's
on them. triad boats are about the same and they run'em in odba and dsra
never seen a grand sport though. good luck

RB in NM

I recently installed a mechanical trim indicator on my Alli XB-03 w/ 2.5 SS.
Can not begin to tell ya hope much I like it. I ain;t got no trim computer and with the 24v up, I like the security of knowing when I'm coming outta the hole fast and hard, with two little bumps on the up, I can tell where my trim is before I reach speeds where trimming back down if too high, can still be acheievd with out letting off.
On my indicator, All the way down is at zero, I set the motor to nearly level for coming out, which is at 1.5 on the indicator. When coming out, I raise the trim to 7.5 and let her eat.
But then again, at 7.5, she's a lttle higher than most perfer to run.
RB

Rocket

I use my trim guage to set the down trim at the starting line! :D

And I'm with Jay,, I look at mine after I'm finished too, to see what was a good position! 8)

But to answer your question flat or just a touch positive should be a good RACE angle! :wink:

ALLISONMAN

MECHANICAL TRIM GAUGE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!! I HAVE A 24VOLT TRIM WITH A MERCRUISER PUMP AND ITS FULLY TRIM BEFORE THE BOATS ON PLANE!!!!! THEN I FINESSE TOUCH THE TRIM IF NEEDED DOWN TRACK BUT MOST OF THE TIME 8 IS GREAT ON MY GAUGE!!!!!

Skydog

Thank you

But after the drags i did real well with out a gage, the butt meter worked good! :D

Thank you Skydog

RB in NM

Yep, the butt meter works fine.
With me just going to 24v up, I really like the abiltity to see where the trim is set at mid track. One more bump with 24v could casue some problems at the wrong time.

RB

Rocket

IMHO= The "Butt Meter" is the ONLY way to Fly! :D

I'll give you an NEGITIVE example: A good friend of mine,,, at the race's last week,,,, Tony denton (in an STV) on his last round came in after he had WON,,, andnoticed that the bolt that controls the indicator (which stops and starts the trim) had fallen out! :shock: Luckly the trim bolt fell out AFTER the UP trim had stopped,,, (plus,,He is an experianced driver and his boat only runs 12.90 at about 85mph),,, but had the switch gotten stuck in the UP position and stayed on,,,,,,, it could have been tragic! :(

Now think about that in an Alley at 100+mph! :roll:

I think I'll stick with the "Butt Meter"!!!! :D

Rocket

RB in NM

Rocket, not sure I follow the bolt thing. My manual indicator has nothing to do with the actuation of my tirm pump, only a indication of where the motor is in relation to "zero" trim.

Point is, to each hiz on, that's why it's called opinions and options...

The question was how to set the trim angle for a race. Again each set up can be vastly different. For me and my setup w/curent setback and skidplate , my motor is level off the line, which reflects a indication of 1.5 the way my manual indicator is set. Off the rope start, as the bow drops (only once) I am on the up trim to an indictor setting of 7.5 - 8.... It's then like the Ronco chit on TV --- set it and forget it !

Russ

Rocket

RB in NM said:
Rocket, not sure I follow the bolt thing.

Russ
I was refering to a "micro switch controled trim"!! :shock: Like Galen and them guys are using!!!! :?

Was I off topic? :oops:

Yellowallison

YES... Trim - Puters work GOOD on ALLISON's !!!

Yes they help yu make constant launches & passes!!

Do you got to have a PUTER run good !! NO! seat of the pants works fine...

But just know TRIM PUTER is nice in dailin a boat to make constant runs.. cause yu can adjust yur TRIM DELAY and TRIM RUN times by Hundreds of a second!

which make it nice .. cause all yu do is hit the ((ON)) button.. stab the gas and WHAM-O the boat leaves the same way it did last time and all yu do it make a few ((bumps)) durin yur run to what ever wind or water conditions there are..

Puter HELPz YA GET R DUN!

RB in NM

Rocket,
not off target bud!
I thought you waz referin to a manual indicator such as I waz refering to.
I got lost around the loose bolt reference, cuz my manualcindicator ain't got no bolts to really loosen up enough to cause me any grief.

Nice dash Yeller......dayum boy, you done got all edgeucated....all them fancy doodads .. !!! :lol: What iz that a compass to find yer way back to the rope???? Coulda saved some money there, and follered the winner back!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Have a gooden" boyz.
Russ

Yellowallison

hahahaha!! rusS.... !!!!!

Nice dash Yeller......dayum boy, you done got all edgeucated....all them fancy doodads .. !!! What iz that a compass to find yer way back to the rope???? Coulda saved some money there, and follered the winner back!!!!

naW THAT MIGHT ON BOARD flAT SCREEN dvd.. SEE i GOT A on BOARD dvd player.... I watch .. GIRLS GONE WILD video between Rounds since I can't watch them on TV at hoem with the GF around!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

RB in NM

Hey Yellar,,, Counld'nt help myself...! That's a good looking dash set up.
I like that digital system. Need to talk to you about that one day.....

RB