Slack in bottom steering tube bearing on single ram Promax 225 SS

Jr in Jax

When I shifted to reverse recently, I noticed my engine bobbed a little. When I pulled it out of the water I grabbed the gearcase and pulled outward. The bottom bearing of the steering tube has some slack in it and either the bearing is shot or the steering tube and bearing is shot. I understand the fix requires removing the powerhead. Is there a temporary fix [bushing or insert] until this winter to take up the slack in the bottom bearing?
Thanks for any help.

Jr in Jax

Since there were not any replies, I decided to cut a bunch of 5/16" wide by 1.5" shim stock pieces of .010 and curved them to slide into the bearing to take up the slack. I replaced the tensioner on the bottom grease seal with a tie wrap to keep it pushed against the bearing and pumped it full of grease. I will have it over to Charlie and Ed's as soon as the boating season ends for more permanent repairs. There is very little slack in the bearing now and what I could see of the shaft was only slightly pitted [hopefully a speedy-sleeve will fix that].

Whaaaaat

It sounds like your going to need a swivel pin if you leave it rigged like that for long. If your motor is fresh water you should only need bushings and seals if you do it now and it should come apart and go back together quick and easy. If you leave that shim stuck in and run it your just going to tear up there swivel pin and the soft aluminum of the clamp bracket. Do it right or do it over and over.

Jr in Jax

There is already some pitting to the splined pin from corrosion [ I boat in both salt and brackish water]. Maybe I can put a speedy-sleeve on the bearing surface for the bushing. I have the parts in hand but do not want my boat tied up during their busy season. If I have to, I will buy a new swivel pin [pricey].