small shaft to fat shaft re-hub?

white03

Any of you guys ever done this? I'm buying prop that will need it and I'm looking for advice or comments.

Who did it for you and what did it cost? Did you like how it turned out?

Send me Pm if you don't want to post results here in the forum.

Thanx a ton guys I want to get this done right.

Bill

John S

Call Todd at hydromotive, he did one for me. I forget what it cost, but I do remember thinking that it seemed like a heckuva deal for the work involved.

fishnfireman

I talked to John Mazer about getting some RE props re- hubbed from small to big............I don't remember the exact price but I have bought a used RE3 off the internet for about the same price that he wanted to re-hub my old one---

If I remember right-- I called several places about 2 years ago..And the problem with putting a big hub in a non Mercury overhub prop was----the barrel had to be drilled out to accomadate the new big hub. So by the time you pay for the hub and the amount of time spent to put it in ---well you get the picture----

A thru the hub prop at that time was cheaper to have done..

white03

In general FF I agree with you and thanx for your advice...but...please consider this....Before I went to the 280 with fat shaft I had a 28 Spinelli small shaft that was prime and ran like a scalded dog. Called a local prop guy and he said cost was $250 to convert it because of all that had to be done (as you said). Well, through a series of trades I only had $125 in the Spinelli and now wish like heck I had paid and got it converted instead of selling it. Then I would have a fat shaft Spinelli with 375 invested in it. If I had wanted to sell it I could have easily got 375 for it, heck they go for 375 now with small shaft (and just try to find one with a fat shaft. They are like finding a needle in a hay stack).

I got a 28 Hoss Triton coming (Brack's old prop he sold to a guy that never ran it and is selling it to me for 150...Brack had it advertised for 350 when he sold it). So I'm getting a great deal on it and even if I have to invest 250 to re-hub I still don't have but 400 in it. Same story on the Triton as on the Spinelli in relation to finding one with a fat shaft, they are very few and far between. I know I'll like the Hoss because Bill Mason was very kind and mailed me his 28. While his had a lot of special work that this one will not have; still and all, a fat shaft Triton in good shape is worth every penny of 400 (and if I can get the fat shaft put in for say 150, then I'll only have 300 in it which is a better deal yet). So, all considered, I think I'll be ok paying for the conversion .... this time. As you know it all comes down to economics.

That's why I am asking for who does it and the cost....need to do a cost comparison and quality review.

In the for what it's worth catagory...I am going to get a Triton cut like Bill Mason's from Hoss. I tell ya guys that is the screaminest:smile prop I have ever run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know opinions on props differ for each one of us, but that is one sweet prop Bill has. Too bad he wouldn't sell it to me...:very sad

again Thanx FF, no offense intended, I just wanted to explain my situation.

Bill

fishnfireman

No offense at all my friend. I wish I would have written the stuff down I learned back when I was calling all the different places.
I do remember there was a big difference in some of the prices I got. Then there was one shop I talked to who did not know there were 2 different sizes for a Merc.
If you find a prop that works great on your rig. Most of us would pay whatever it takes to get it done. .
My point with the Mazco props....even thou all of mine were bought used.
By the time I paid shipping and his price for the new hub..I could buy a brand new one.