smallies from the river

Hollywood

Hey Speedman
what was the water temp? do your smallies use deep current? How deep do you chase them ??

Hollywood

Speedman

they tend to hide in rolls of sand on the bottom in 20-35 ft next to 50. We found them on the aquaview and just figured out how to catch them. Those pictures were from Nov when the water was about 41 but we catch them regularly when the water is 33 degrees also! I have pulled them out of 50 ft in Jan in New England but most are 20-30

Hollywood

Thanx for gettin back to me. Sorry I couldn't respond earlier, something went wacky re: my passwrd. I love my smallie fishin.

I get them that deep and around 50-60ft in good o2 and slack with rock. They are with bait (not far, sometimes within feet). Is there much flow (current) where you are fishing? Do you , drag, or drop shot your fish? Or fishin live bait? My river is huge and winter flow is unbelievable. Temps are very cool mid-late 30's to 40's.

I love the pics! Good luck

Speedman

what river do you fish, describe it for me? no bait just the "magic" lure. Pm me and I will share! I never see any bait and I use an aquaview!

Hollywood

I fish the Columbia river, 2nd largest river per volume. 2nd to the Miss. The flow is deep and strong in winter. Some slack of course. It gets real cold as well.

Wicky

Had to jump in on this conversation. I've had 100 fish days in the summer but, I need some advice on catching the cold water smallies. It seems deep water is the key. What other advice could you guys give me besides buying an aquaview?
Chillin in Boise,
Wicky

Speedman

rivers or lakes, and how much flow, how deep is maximum? rocky, weedy or sandy. give me the details and I will put you on the fish!!!!!!!!

Wicky

Lakes more than Rivers. Couple hundred feet maximum. Mostly rocky on the sides unless level is very low. Not too much brush but it is there.
Never had any luck before March.