SMP trailer wiring

motobuffy

I need to pull new wiring to the rear. Before I buy a fishtape, I just want to verify there are no braces or other obstructions in the interior of the frame (other than 25 years of rust). Any other tips would also be appreciated.

allimax

You're good, although I found some sharp edges in the tubing from the welding process the hard way. (like a short to ground that blew the brake light fuse) I made up a better wiring harness with some extra protection. All the wire splices were soldered and sealed to prevent moisture problems down the road.

You can see here were I coated the inside of the frame with Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating. I'm hoping that will slow the rust down. It is a zinc based product and should help do the job. One other note is the shrink tubing I like is a double wall with a glue inside that will ooze out to seal the connection. The clear is great because you can inspect the connection down the road.

motobuffy

Thanks for the info. You have gone much further than I will. Think I've got it taken care of now.