Stainless Marine Trim Indicator Grand Sport

RiverRat71

Just wanted to share pictures of the trim indicator I installed on my 08 GS in case anyone is interested. There is not a lot of options on location for the indicator itself so I used the only empty spot on the dash. I went with the Stainless Marine brand & to me it seems top quality. I look forward to opinions. RR

Attachments

ROBERT CROSS

Excellent Job!!!!

I put the cylinder head temp gauge in that spot on our first GSDSC08456.JPG ...the new one comes with a temp gauge so the Stainless Marine is taking it's place on the dash. How long was your cable?
I used a 14' cable when I mounted it under the shifter...... a bit too long.
DSC00089.JPG

RiverRat71

Excellent Job!!!!

I put the cylinder head temp gauge in that spot on our first GSView attachment 11614 ...the new one comes with a temp gauge so the Stainless Marine is taking it's place on the dash. How long was your cable?
I used a 14' cable when I mounted it under the shifter...... a bit too long.
View attachment 11613
Hi Robert, thanks for the compliment! I ordered my cable 18' but I think 17' would have been perfect. I measured it with wide sweeping bends to follow my steering hose & tied to that. I assumed the cable would work better w/o tight bends. It comes in to the indicator from the starboard side & runs to the actuator on the port side. All in all worked out good. How is your new GS coming?

ROBERT CROSS

RR71,

Thanks....I'll probably mount & run the cable on the starboard side like I did before and was thinking 16' would be about right.fullsizeoutput_22f.jpeg

We'll be at Reynolds Racing on the 10th of April to pick her up. Had to get a 15" bracket as the Factory set-up was for a 20" other than that everything looks good for the shake-down run.
Once home the start in gear re-wire will most likely be the first thing on the agenda. On GS#1 I wired the trim buttons on the shifter to use as the starter buttons......it was really handy being right on the shifter. Plus no one had to know and I could still use the key & start in neutral.
I also want to put some 'balls' in the transom bracket to help lift the butt up a bit..fullsizeoutput_dcb.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1f8.jpeg keep things from drowning and pump-up the hole shot. I might try a fender this time...see how that works. Just don't know what size yet.

Get'n close....can't wait!!!

Last edited:

skewby

have glenn wire it so it starts in gear since its already there and they will have access while putting it together

RiverRat71

RR71,

Thanks....I'll probably mount & run the cable on the starboard side like I did before and was thinking 16' would be about right.View attachment 11629

We'll be at Reynolds Racing on the 10th of April to pick her up. Had to get a 15" bracket as the Factory set-up was for a 20" other than that everything looks good for the shake-down run.
Once home the start in gear re-wire will most likely be the first thing on the agenda. On GS#1 I wired the trim buttons on the shifter to use as the starter buttons......it was really handy being right on the shifter. Plus no one had to know and I could still use the key & start in neutral.
I also want to put some 'balls' in the transom bracket to help lift the butt up a bit..View attachment 11627 View attachment 11628 keep things from drowning and pump-up the hole shot. I might try a fender this time...see how that works. Just don't know what size yet.

Get'n close....can't wait!!!
I know you are excited! I knew that you wired for start in gear through the switch on the shifter (great idea by the way) but I want to use a toggle switch to override. Any suggestions & how difficult is it to access the wires in the shifter? RR

ROBERT CROSS

The starter wire from the neutral safety switch is yellow with a red stripe, pull out your cup holder and it should be right there.

RiverRat71

The starter wire from the neutral safety switch is yellow with a red stripe, pull out your cup holder and it should be right there.
I am assuming there are two yellow w/red stripe? To use a momentary switch splice into both? Will a 10 amp switch be enough? Sorry for all the questions & getting this thread off topic. RR

ROBERT CROSS

Yes..... two yellow & red wires. (neutral safety switch) 10a should be fine. I only spliced into the one that goes to the starter solenoid, (test light helps).
Question....why are you installing a separate switch?
The shifter mounted trim switches aren't really needed when you have the turn-signal switches. It's very handy to just turn on the key, put her in gear and hit the trim button, (up or down), to start.
Plus...you can still start in neutral with the key if anyone should question the legality of the modification.

RiverRat71

I was just wanting the momentary push switch to override the neutral safety when in gear. Was going to locate it near the key switch. So are you saying that you just switch the key switch to "run" position & then use the trim switch on the shifter to start the engine? If so will it also start the engine when in neutral? RR

ROBERT CROSS

Yep...just key on, put in gear and hit the up or down trim button and your under way.
Yes...you can still start in neutral using the key. (you haven't cut the starter wire, just spliced the trim button switches into it).
I can even use it when backing away from the dock, start in reverse, use the 'ejection' switch to shut off, switch it right back on, shift into forward and hit the trim again to start in gear.

ROBERT CROSS

Yes....the shifter trim buttons will start it in neutral or in gear as long as the ignition is on. The key will only start it in neutral.

Another benefit....you can do a compression test with the ignition off.

RiverRat71

Yes....the shifter trim buttons will start it in neutral or in gear as long as the ignition is on. The key will only start it in neutral.

Another benefit....you can do a compression test with the ignition off.
Gotcha, thanks for all the info! Be sure to post some pics of the new GS when you get it. RR