Super Unleaded in my Bombrude 150???

RedAllison

Ok all my blackmotah brethren, this "qwerstchun" is about the injun on my new kidbo era I mean deckboat. It has a 2005 Bombrude "Direct Injection" and the owners manual simply says "minimum octane rating is 87". My question is will I hurt anything (longterm, as I have already filled the first tank with BP 93) by running 91-93 in this engine? I just like the idea of having clean fuel and not having to mess with additives or anything like that, I don't mind mixin stuff up for my Alli but the only mixin I want to bother with on this deckboat is drinks at the beach! I know my ProMax is spotless after 7 years of super 93 and 100% Pennzearl. I am likewise gonna try the 100% Pennz in this motor, the manual calls for any "NMMA and TCW3" rated oil. The XD55 or whatever oil from Brude is a semisyn oil, shouldn't that be dirtier?

We gaver her "maiden voyage" Saturday and this thing sure is smooooooth and quiet, took me an hour of getting used too it. I am used to hearin and seein a party under the cowl back there, this one don't do that! The waterspray under the hull makes more noise than the engine when runnin down the lake.
RA

K

Kevin from FL

Running 93 is only going to cost you more and help keep the engine cleaner. No performance gain though. I run it in my lawnmower, generator, weedeater and chainsaw :)

I also run the Penz 100% in the weedeater and chainsaw.

J

John Richied

RA, running high-octane fuel in a two-stroke won’t hurt it expect maybe the performance, it could drop off... no big deal in a party boat.

The higher-octane fuels have plenty of additives… so you won’t need to add any.

If your Pennzoil is rated for what the manual calls for, " any NMMA and TCW3" then you are good to go! If not then I would find an oil that is rated NMMA and TCW III.

RedAllison

Kev I wasn't expectin any "performance gain" lol what would that be goin from 40 mph too 41.3gps? :lol: The main thing is like you said, keepin the engine cleaner than runnin crap gas and chit oil. I am sure that some times the thing will have marina gas run through it, that in itself has me worried. So anything I can do to keep that 250psi injection system doin its job is ok with me. I just didn't want to toast anything.

Oilwise, the factory XD55 (?) says its a blend and like I said the manual calls for a "NMMA/TCW3" rated oil which the 100% Pennz rates at, it says so on the bottle. So looks like after I burn the full tank and extra gallon of Bombrude oil I have now, "Family Tradition" is gonna get a tank of the same stuff that RDW has loved for so long. Today I lucked into getting a storage bay on the lake for it (big bastard, 12x48) lol Michelle's Expedition only got about 9mpg towing it down I-40. Took 1/2 a tank of gas just to go too the lake and back Saturday. With gas bein what it is, the storage joint is money ahead plus that leaves me free to still take RDW up as I please!!! :twisted:

Hell this crap is fun I'm even lookin at campin trailers (37' "bunkhouse" models) and lots up at the river (KY Lake) for nextyear. (LOL Jeffro and LooLoo you gonna have some new neighbors nextyear!) Everyone is askin me why I don't just buy a place up there? Too which I tell them, "Uhhhhh you musta missed the part about gettin away... NO yardwork, NO paintin, NO upkeep, NO additional property taxes... all I want is something to keep the rain off our heads, the A/C in and a place that isn't far off the ground for when I stagger in after a day at the beach drinkin Budlight with LooLoo, Jeffro and Bo!!!" :wink:

Is it summertime yet?
RA

dspencer

Are you seeing hair on the back of your knuckles? I hear thats another sign of old age.

ALLISONMAN

RED I THINK THAT "THA BOMBS" DONT RECOMMEND HI TEST IN THEIR MOTORS YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK A DEALER AND CHECK WITH THEM!!! I THINK 89 IS WHAT THEY WANT IN THEIR MOTORS!!!

RedAllison

lol, I already got some hair on my knuckles. But if I start growin hair in my ears I WILL sell the deckboat!!! :wink:

Bryan, I have ran the 93 out of the boat and refilled it last weekend with marina gas (I checked their system it is all on ground/dry storage system and their lines and system was upgraded a couple years ago and they sell alot of fuel each week so I trust it for now). I still put some Stabil in it for good measure and will occasionally run some additives but I don't think I should have to many problems once I start running 100% Pennz through it. I have half a tank of XD55 and another gallon to go before I make the switch.

The only glich this motor seems to have is on the bottom end. The first two seconds or so during holeshot if I just gradually give it gas instead of dropping the hammer, it will stutter a slight bit. Nothing major and it still comes up great (ESPECIALLY since putting a 16" 4blade on it! :D ) but that stutter is there. Otherwise so far I am impressed with this "itty bitty one fitty" it's as quiet as a mouse, gets great mileage for a barge and is certainly much smoother than what I am used to with my SS engine.

lol BUT like I said, if she pops then her replacement will be "from the darkside"!!! :twisted:
RA

JR

Fuel

I am just like Kevin, I run the BP/Amoco 93 in everything I have [except Susan's Honda Pilot]. The boat, jet ski, motocross bikes, scooters, Generator, hedge trimmer, weedeater, Lawnmower and chainsaw have large "sit times" and the gas might leave deposits in them. I never have to use stabil since there is no residue and I just top them off to keep the octane up.
I think it is worth .20 per gallon.
JR