the day my boatmate died!

Speedman

After 10 long months of not getting any, I finally got my boat back and started the break in, after all my idle time was done, I decided to take her up to my favorite fishin hole in Vt on the Ct river,the boat ran great and the fishing was great with many smallies in the 2-3 lb range. I fished well into dark and right next to the ramp in total darkness nailed a 3 lb smallie and a nice 20"walleye!. So I go to get the trailer and I see that the side long bunk is snapped right off and just lying there on the trailer. Now keep in mind, I live in New England , which makes the crappy boatmate trailer, even worse. I load her on the trailer and limp her home. Now I borrowed some boat stands and thanks to the great guys here, learned how to safely remove a boat from the cancerous trailer, with the help of a kubota tractor! today I will be reattaching the bunk and soon redoing the whole the trailer, I have always run my boat through the New England winters so I should have some pictures up soon...

Speedman

rot

the bunks are actually fine and still solid, the breaks have never worked right, the fenders have all but rusted off and will need to be replaced as well as EVERY weld where the bunks are attached are completely rusted out. I have had several other 10 year old bass boats in my 30 years of boating and have NEVER seen one rust out this bad, you would almost think it was a Nitro!

froggy

Speedman,

At 7 years old---pure freshwater only, my BM trailer was going to need a major refurb. I simply replaced it with a quality, channel iron one and will live happily on. There was a time when the fasteners used, by BM, worked like batteries and actually CAUSED galvanic corrosion at the bunks! Replace the fasteners with stainless steel ones and the galvanic corrosion disappears.

froggy