Too much pitch?

RobShaw

XB2003 with a 225X. 14" static Allison plate. Fished yesterday in 60 degree weather with a very light load, empty livewells, 2 people at about 400 pounds total.

28 Custom cut (by Todd) Hydromotive Quad IV. The highest rpm's I could attain was 6200 at 76 mph. This prop is incredibly smooth. Im thinking I need to have it worked to 27" which by the way was Todd's initial recommendation. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

GotMyAlly

That's the same prop I'm running and I can pull it to the rev limiter just about anytime. At 6200, I think you should be running more than 76. Mine'll run 93-94 on the limiter. It will pull past 6200 with 3 people in the boat and all my camping gear, coolers, etc. How deep do you have the motor? I'm running my propshaft at 1/4" below the pad. I wouldn't get it pitched down just yet. I actually wish mine had about 1" more pitch most days. Are you running two people up front? If so, make your buddy ride in the back and see if it makes any difference.

TBuck2003

RPMS

Rob,
First thing is we need to check motor height accurately.With the load you described you should be turning alot more Rpms than that.A number of people have that same combo and are in the upper 80s to low 90s without a problem.Rob that calculation is about 14% slip which is way out of whack.I think we have a combo of two things going on.

1.Motor buried to deep should be 1/4" below pad.

2.More positive trim needed.With a level lifting prop carrying the stern a couple more beeps of positive trim are in order.With that slip % you are dragging too much boat and gearcase thru the water.

Neal Edwards and Charlie Monday have same exact package maybe they will chime in to go over specifics of their set up as far as load and performance numbers.And as always feel free to call with any questions.Later

Todd

GotMyAlly

Re: RPMS

TBuck2003 said:
Neal Edwards and Charlie Monday have same exact package maybe they will chime in to go over specifics of their set up as far as load and performance numbers.And as always feel free to call with any questions.Later

Todd
That was me above....Neal Edwards AKA GotMyAlly.

As was said, I'd try raising the motor. 1" too deep costs me about a thousand RPMs. Mine runs best at 1/4" below the pad to even w/ the pad, but they all run a little different.

TBuck2003

RPMS

Neal as I was writing that you beat me to the punch.I saw your message just as I finished mine.Thanks for chiming in your timing is perfect.Glad to see the wheel is running good for you.Take care Neal,

Todd

RedAllison

Rob I to agree, your engine has GOT to be to low. Don't go by eye ballin it on the trailer. Get out the level and tape measure and measure the pad and the propshaft center. Anything below about 3/4" will do EXACTLY what you are describing. You can take pretty much ANY prop and your boat will only do 6200 day in day out. Raise that motor up and watch the limiter kick in.

Oh yeah, and the driving will get MUCH smoother and easier when you raise the gearcase as well,
RA

tomoad

Todd

I sent my prop (quad iv ot) to you & you should get it thursday, I talked to you on the phone Monday about the Hub issue, & having it blueprinted?labbed. I read alot about these props, & what everyone's says about them. The only difference my boat is a xb-02, I hope it performs like it does on you all's 03's, I also sent my sportmaster LU the Sanderson Marine for the alli mod and the torque tab, I was getting alot of torque steer, but I also here the torque steer on these hydromotive props are not to bad. I've never run one so i guess will see.. Gotmyally hows that prop come out of the hole?

GotMyAlly

On holeshot, it'll run circles around my old 27" trophy. It launches real good with 1 or 2 people. 3 people in the boat and the holeshot is average. With 4 people, it bogs pretty bad like it needs bigger vent holes, but I usually run a chopper when I have that many in the boat so it can spin up as much as it needs.

chad202

Rob, if your height is good, you may only be running on 5 cylinders. Check spark plug wires?

catfish123

Rob.......it is definitely not too much pitch. With proper set-up, you should easily be able to get a 28 pitch prop into the limiter at right around 90mph. My 28 ET runs 90 into the limiter and my 28 Ally cut Chopper II is into the limiter at 93.1 mph. I have an XB2003 with 225X like you have. Engine height and trim, as mentioned before, probably need to be adjusted to free your boat up.

RobShaw

Thanks!

Thanks guys. I have some work to do. With these 80 degree days, Ive been more focused on fishing than set up. Looks like the midwest storm is coming this way which will give me time to do some proper measurements/troubleshooting.

Todd, that prop is awesome!

TBuck2003

Prop

Rob,
Glad you like it.You will get the bugs worked out in time.Once you get it right you will spend alot of time hauling instead of fishing.Ha Ha .Take care Rob call if you need anything.

Todd

whipper

Pitch

Rob its all been said already for sure. Just a little my experiance.I thought I had the engine hight as far as I dare and trimmed out as positive as can be. I posted a similar circomstanse and got much the same reply. So one day I took a mesuremrnt and I was 1/2 below to 3/4 most of the time it seemed were I had the guage. I jacked er up all the way which is 1/4 below she felt way differant and took a few runs to get used to it but now I can turn a drag4 to the limitter on my 225 promax all day long and I rarely run lower hights and I can trim more poss than before. I was turning only 6200 also most of the time and thought my elavation was to blame,NOT! I moved the motor up one more hole so in the spring I can try even with pad. :mrgreen: She is much more smother at higher shaft hights and I felt she was smooth before but she is even more so now at 1/4 below. James