Top Speed Question/Discussion

patches

Nobody really knows how fast the XR2001 will run. Nobody with any sense will try it. Shook has gone very fast in the XB but I don't think for a second it will run anywhere near either of the XR's, especially the 2001

patches

Keep in mind the V bottom record was established with a 2.4 that made somewhere in the neighborhood of 275 horsepower. With modern 2.5's you would reach a point I don't think most would care to go

Jon

Supporting Member
Keep in mind the V bottom record was established with a 2.4 that made somewhere in the neighborhood of 275 horsepower. With modern 2.5's you would reach a point I don't think most would care to go
Just for fun, lets look at how much slower we've gotten over the years with all this great technology...

patches

While it wasn't done in a kilo event I think Josh Broussard's run of 122 mph with a stock 200 is equally impressive. I was there shortly after he did it and watched him make 118-119 mph passes till it got boring. Setup, propeller, driver skill and decent size set of cajones

whipper

Modified Stroker turning my QIV 35P full thru hub prop labbed out and diameter reduced from 15.5" to roughly 14 7/8"
Crazy cool work to that prop Todd. Very interesting formula that obviously works well on Eli,s setup to say the least. :cool: I think i read the motor was a {16} inch Modified 300X if Im not mistaken. Strokers have a very shallow Vee . That would explain the steering movement and easy balancing. There 1 inch shy of an 8ft beam and looks to be about a 17-18 degree deadrise. very cool bottom and obviously fast as all that with HP! Hears the business end of Eli,s Stroker. Not with the Intimidator QIV prop though. That 35 is a 4 blade.;) I like that he went 16 inch mid. 5nt3bq.jpg

Last edited:

K.Kiser

If someone was willing to risk a one-way flight in a drag powered xr01, and a dedicated sharp setup going well into the 140's wouldn't suprise me..

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I had a 1996 XR2001RR to 118 back in 2008 and it felt hung out there like an SS at 106, thinking really fast about where it was gonna swap ends. Was running modified Yamaha 24 turning some banshee scream rpm, did not exactly have desire to look at gauge during this run. It began to feel really unsafe and Bryan Welch words rang in my ears, "when it feel like that do not reduce power! Give it more then choke it down slow with trim.." I did this and it worked and good thing because I was running out of water at the end of a race channel in Chowchilla, CA. It was only after slowed down fished the gps out of pocket in vest and saw the 118 number.

The steering felt light and unresponsive and I think was on edge of aerodynamic stall.

But bear in mind this was setup for 1/4 mile drags, not top end.

Last edited:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Yeah look at Glenn go in that video; you can't tell me that had less to do with aero lift of that boat as anything else. Look how it's fully out of the water like a low flying plane and it sure wasn't due to 330hp on its tail. That air across the top cap is moving WAY faster than the air underneath it.

Jon

Supporting Member
Glenn will come through the cove during the week sometimes... still wears that same helmet. I think he's always looking for a race :)

ally2dextreme

It is diffently the front deck area.Patrick Barlow and myself were the first and only for a long long time to run over a 100mph in the new 21 footer.We couldn't get past 96 97 with the windshield on it,it took me a solid hour to convince the owner that the windshield was holding g us back.He finally pulled the windshield off,first pass over 100,both of us ,over 250lbs I might add and half a tank of gas 101.8 on a short run and he was happy and we left.I have thought several times about getting g a 2003 and doing a top cap like the 2002 ,it would do 110....PS new site is awesome...not to whoever does the trophy count I have more than 16 lol....great job guys

patches

Lou, you were just out of prop. The boat had more to go. When they run out of prop/motor they get a little hairy. Josh dealt with the same thing running the carb 200 to the speeds he was running. Motor runs out of guts and the boat wants to drop the nose. Fastest I ever ran in mine was 112 at about 1100 ft in Jasper. It blew out right there and I chose to load it on the trailer even though I only had one loss. I wasn't setup for the 1/4 mile and didn't want to get anybody hurt trying to figure it out in the middle of a fast Pro Fuel class. Mine was mild, boat just dropped the left side and laid down. It was caught on a go pro camera in the other boat. Pretty cool, it's on YouTube

Jon

Supporting Member
Man, that looks like you just hit a wall on that second pass.

patches

Yep, the first pass you see is Andy Driver in the other boat. I'm in the right lane on the second pass. It was still pulling good when the prop blew out. I looked at the dash to see the mph going through 109-110-111 at a pretty good clip, I looked up and it let go. That was in 2011, for a few years there ODBA ran 800' stuff on Saturday and 1/4 mile on Sunday. I had gone up there to run the 800' Pro Drag class but Sunday rolled around and I wanted to make a few more laps down the track so I decided to race under the 1250 lb spec fuel rule in Pro Fuel. I went around borrowing 170 lbs of weight and a 24 pitch prop from Harry Billiot. I threw the weight in and ran down the road to a lake to test it out. The nose kept flaring on me when I would get on the trim button too early. To "fix" this I kept moving weight forward before giving up and heading back to the race site. I told my buddy Bret I would figure it out on the race course. Before I went in the water for the class I was talking to Matthew Caldwell about what it was doing when I "gave it a bump bump". He looked at me and said " don't bump bump it". Lol. So I went on the water and figured it out before the first pass that the boat was gonna stick a little bit with the weight in it, I just had to be patient and let it build some speed and clean up(I was used to running it with no weight where it would clean up almost immediately). At this point I should've moved all the weight I had previously moved forward back to the positions I knew it should be. First pass I drew Jacob Crabb with his big block powered 1/4 Master. I was very conservative with the trim on this pass to get acquainted with the 1/4 mile and the setup. Wouldn't have mattered. He dusted me pretty good but I felt confident in the boat after that pass. Second pass, the one in the youtube clip above, I changed some numbers in the trim timer and trimmed it more going down the track. That last bump of trim was at 112 mph and that's where it let go. I really think it had too much weight too far forward for my setup

whipper

Cool info it sure seemed to look like a little blow out. Ive had my bow do the drop wiggle at much slower speeds. but even in the 90,s it gets your attention. Funny thing was I put a 40lbs shot bag as far forward in the left gunnel to try that. It needed way more trim i kept thinking. After a few of those wiggles and one 180 i put it back were it belonged and have been good ever since.

patches

It wouldn't have been fun. As you know that island is just to the right past the finish line and it was on my mind. Same trees that Kim Cleckler hit a few years back