Tournament cheaters

bassracr

i put this on fishin.com and smalljaw. com. thought some on here may find this of intrest or possibly know these losers...

billy westmoreland invitational cheaters.

what prompted my post is this.. i was on here and saw a post about the recent billy westmoreland tournament results, and it got me thinking about past billy tournaments . i scoured the internet for past results and no mention about anyone cheating, so i would like to share a story with you about 2 cheaters that were caught from the 2004 invitational that seems to have been quietly dismissed, and i have been unable to find any info on it . my fishing partner and i had fished that tournament for about 10 years and looked forward to it every year ( it was the only one we fished) many times in the early years, it was a struggle to put the funds together ,and get the time off to make it all happen but we did. i'm sure just like many others that showed up for the billy . 2004 i believe was the first year we actually got there early enough to pre -fish . the day before the tournament we put in at horse creek ,and made a long run up the lake up into the obey probably 20+ miles ..and started fishing. we were back in a cove ,and during a chance lure hang up ,got close enough to the bank to notice a leather strap/shoestring tied to a tree limb, right at the waterline. we got closer, and noticed a large camo fish basket attached about 10 ft. down .we pulled it up and sure enough it had 2 short smallies in it . I called Jack Huddelston on a cell phone from that spot and let him know what was going on. we got back to the dock and marked the spot on a map for Jack, and he got the game warden involved . we fished the first day of the tournament ,and after the weigh in went in to see Jack. he informed us the game warden was waiting close to the spot, in his own unmarked boat with rain gear and binoculars ,and sure enough ..the cheaters went right to their basket, and he busted them. they also took him to another one they had hidden a couple more fish in . Jack told us .. you are not going to believe WHO it was....FISHER & FISHER ! the prominent brothers showing up in their big new ranger and winning the tournament year ,after year, after year !! two guys you would think would be above reproach. sharing their winning techniques at tournament close ! what a fricken joke these two a##holes are ! stealing all those guys entry money year after year. and these guys had money, someone said they were prominent horse doctors..... so if any of you know these clowns and see them on the lake, make sure to say hello, and let them know that you know, about their past impressive fishing feats at the great .. BILLY WESTMORELAND INVITATIONAL.

RedAllison

The tournament world, especially at the local and state level is a small fraternity. Personally I feel that anyone caught cheating should be banned for LIFE from EVERY tournament! Folks like these rednecks you described arent scared of the consquences, thats why they continue to do it and laugh about it amongst themselves.

Dirtlegs, :mad:
RA

Myron

we have had a Monday night tournament for about 15 years now, we average 10 boats we all know each other, more of a gathering really it is only 20 per boat. One year 2 young kids showed up, came every week never really caught anything, one week they won, no big deal anyone can win, 3 more weeks of them winning got some of us thinking, we decided to check livewells before the tournament, they already had 2-5 lb fish, they were lucky to get out of there alive. Cheating is more prominant than what people think, even in big tournaments.I saw one where the first 4 palces were DQ ed after the polygraph test, they new up front they would be given one if they won. For me I really don't fish any team trails much, mostly just draw tournaments

bassracr

Yes it's sad that this goes on .as stated above I posted this on two fishing sites above because I couldn't find anything about it . I see why I didn't as the two sites I posted this on ,promptly removed them . This isn't something they ALLEGEDLY did .. We found their basket and the game warden was waiting for them when they pulled it up ...and hauled them in. I guess they want to pretend it never happened. No wonder it goes on more than we know.

K.Kiser

Bassfishing and fast boats used to be all I could think about from 6 years old until I was a receding haired-adult.. I don't care for where the sport of bassfishing has gone, it's being taken way too seriously and too much celebrity is put into tournament standings which will always lead to the weaker individuals of society to cheat... I will never tournament fish again because I don't want to be associated with the image that I see on TV... I still enjoy bassfishing when I get a chance but on a much quiter, slower, and downscaled version than is popular today...

My Brother and I used to fish a large kids bass tournament way back when... I remember after one weigh-in it was divulged that one of the Dad's was being questioned about his tactics which he felt was plenty fair... He was sticking thick bass on jig/ pork all day long and them handing the rod to his son to reel them in, and saw nothing wrong with this... Thinking that some parents actually teach such a slanted behavior answers alot of social questions doesn't it...

I'm really considering getting a 15 footer or so bathtub style boat with a 50 hp on it and just start concentrating on crappie fishing year round, instead of just winter... I really like the slower pace and less prestige than what bassing has become... Well almost, I'm still gonna hit the catfish in the shallows in April...

This is a good post Bassracr, there's no shame in blasting a-holes all over the internet and I hope they lose all character value in ya'lls local circle... If it would make you feel better to sale me your boat, then I'd be happy to help a bud get to a better place...

SLOmofo

I'm with you on this K.Kiser. When my wife and I got into tournament fishing it was still a Gentle Mans Sport. The money was never the object, now it's the only objective, "Cutting a check, Making the money".(I think these terms are rude).
I stopped fishing for a few reasons, 1. Wife had a stroke and it is hard for her to fish much less compete, 2. My chemo therapy and sun light arn't good togeather 3. I didn't wan't to continue till I hated fishing.
I do miss it though and have fished two tournaments last year with a friend. Fishing is one thing I could really get into, really really focus, focus in on beating those little green fish.
I to have found a fish cage, empty but still a fish cage. Sure took the fun out of fishing!