Trim Systems, whats safe

Larry D

I'm sure he does, but if I had to say I'd just say he got a little happy with the up button. our mid sections are exactly the same and unlike most 12's they have way more positive trim then is needed. that can get you in trouble if you're not careful.
No trim limit switch, that was the third time that happened. Galen and Taco found the problem. one of the anchor pins for the trim ram had bent in a u shape . some times the u shape would make the motor over trim with out him knowing. later Larry D

allison8503

That makes alot of sense. I was going to talk to him becasue it would have went over one day. I was talking to a hydralic guru out here at work and I was telling him what garrel was telling me was happening and at that point he didnt know about the U shaped pin. And my buddy was telling me that he needed to check his lines. He was saying he has seen when something is under alot of pressure the motor is going to pump but if there is weak spot in the line the line could expand but not bust and as he got down the track and inward pressure on the motor was less the fluid could get to the ram and trim without him hitting the botton. He explained it like a bubble in the line and the pressure will not flow backwared through the pump so it has to go somewhere. Just another thing to check guys be safe and dont turn left or right for that matter.

bigtis

I can't help you with them, but I did snap this one at Butte last month of Garrell getting close to the point of no return. it got higher, but they didn't come out. this picture was at about 900' so he was getting close to 110 mph.

he is without a doubt one of the least scared drivers I know.

Casey, that's the first pic I've seen of it...

GUYS THE BOAT LITERALLY GOT TWICE AS HIGH AS IT IS IN THE PICTURES
super, super, experienced driver was the only reason for no disaster occuring. i could see the FLOOR IN HIS BOAT!!!!!! from the starting line.

Liquid

all you guys got me thinking now. I just recieved my Xmas present yesterday. A trim computer from Richardson Marine. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a limit switch, running with a trim computer.. ?

Thanks all

Last edited:

hullbilly

all you guys got me thinking now. I just recieved my Xmas present yesterday. A trim computer from Richardson Marine. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a limit switch, running with a trim computer.. ?

Thanks all
Just got done installing a turnkey trim system in my drag boat. All you have to do, as far as wiring the limit switch goes, is as follows:

- Run the "Timer 1" wire through a normally closed switch on some type of mechanical limiting device (mine is a galen piece). From your limit device, you will then go to your 24 volt solenoid.

- So basically instead of coming off "Timer 1" and going straight to your solenoid, you'll just run it through the switch first and then to the solenoid. When your normally closed switch is opened by your limit device, electrical flow to your 24 volt solenoid instantly stops.

Last edited:

Liquid

Thanks hullbilly, that really helps. i will try to puy mine in next week, no heat in my shop, so i have to find a dry day and haul iy up to Tigers to do it.

Thanks again

JIM

96xb2003

hope im not givin useless info here , if u are running significant amperage through relays u asking fer trouble, my self id use some old ford starter solenoids, relyable , dependable and will handel the additional amperage, and theyre cheap.

Volatile

We run SEALED Solid State relays. No contacts to corrode and weld etc. 100,000hr life and they take less current to run.

FLYING BUTCHER

Travis Tuttle just made me a FAIL SAFE trim limiter (both up and down trim). If I had one of these installed I would have never gotten wet!!! Great addition to ANY boat. It just plain cuts off ALL power to the trim at adjustable settings. It was easy to install and again fail safe. It is just like the picture of the one Gailin made. have fun be safe

SLOmofo

Travis Tuttle just made me a FAIL SAFE trim limiter (both up and down trim). If I had one of these installed I would have never gotten wet!!! Great addition to ANY boat. It just plain cuts off ALL power to the trim at adjustable settings. It was easy to install and again fail safe. It is just like the picture of the one Gailin made. have fun be safe
Pictures and wiring diagram please

BigRedAlli

Gary, the lincoln navigators, continentals, and mark 8's use a heavy duty solid state relay for the air supension pump that should work great. Problem is, the relay and the connector are very expensive from the dealer. Not sure if the local parts house carries them. Hopefuly Volatile knows of a cheaper source.

hullbilly

This sounds like the mechanical trim limiter I have pictured in my old xr, a couple pages back. It's the safest option imo, hands down, especially if you're running a trim computer.

SLOmofo

Tomorrow I should get to see if my new contraption will bolt on and then if it will work. If it does as planed it should cut the trim time in half or more. Secondarily alot of the slop in the trim system should be gone too.

FLYING BUTCHER

I am in Az for the winter so can't do any pictures, but it looks just like the one you had pictured. Mechanical no chance of messing up. have fun be safe

Volatile

Sorry, forgot about this thread. They are $40 for the fuel relay plus $5 shipping. Comes with easy instructions. On the trim relays we are waiting for the next batch to arrive. I'll post when I get the price. Thanks!

SLOmofo

Well that didn't work well. On the trailer OMG, in the water against prop thrust nope. I did try reversing the hoses just in case I had them backwards, s l o w e r on the trailer didn't try in the water.

I did read somewhere that the pump is adjustable for pressure, so if someone here knows how please contact me with directions.

Didn't like the shudder felt when trimming down, it was throughout the boat when under power on the lake. Also didn't like the cracking noise the clamp made when the ram was trying to push further then it should. If I get this to work I'll take the ram part again and shim the piston so the ram itself is limited.
The before time to trim was 2.5 seconds. This try was less than 1 second and even trimmed under much more.

Would'a Should'a Could'a

NEXT

The meaning of BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand