Updating '89 XB02

XB03AllyProud

This was my Father n laws baby that he ordered new and I finally talked him out of it last fall. I tried for years to buy it as it sat in his shop forever-10 yrs since it had been in the water. I always figured it had no more than 150 hrs in the water. He rigged it with a '89 XP175. He had limiters removed, couple minor tweaks and Bobs did a Bigfoot on lower. It was dam quick and ran great for a JohnRude, plus He could air it out. In Central Tx back then he hurt a lot of feelings at local lake and even some of our SDBA friends testing/tuning their squirt boats.
Anyway, I got it, sold the 175 and sold my Prosport keeping my 225 PM. Have a lot going on work, working to finish house etc but finally getting close to having her rigged again. Wish I took more before pics before I started but it is in really great original condition with exception of keel it has sandbar rocking showing a bit.
Big thing it need was stripping out the dash and OMC harness shifter and gauges which was a minimal set. I have added AutoMeter Monster series Carbon Fibre face GPS speedo and 8k Tach w/ recall switch in the console and then the same series of temp, pressure, volts and fuel level along with Stainless Marines dual trim/ jackplate indicator. I made all new harnesses for everything with plugs off the main Merc harness, so I can pull the console off quick easy just unplugging 1 plug for the GPS and Tach. Same for dash gauges-they have a plug on their harness so if i need to pull them out, Kill switch, etc. I labeled everything before covering and tie wrapping the plastic loom over it all for neat clean organized install. I did same with the dual Pro-Trim blinker switches for the trim and jackplate- neat clean covered and plugged in to respective wires from the back.
Couple things took some thinking and modifying as in the dual rack steering. I had to make a 1-1/4" spacer to bring the wheel and blinker switches out further to clear volt gauge on right of column. The cast aluminum steering piece that bolts to dash that I had to space out further had to be notched and blinker metal frame opened up to fit recessed into the aluminum so the steering wheel was all normal. The old black plastic dash had a time warp going on so I got some plexiglass and made a new one and same thing for console. Console design and the 2 holes he had wouldn't work for the Monster GPS/ Tach so 1/4" thick plexiglass that extends down further was cut and then both it and dash covered in Carbon Fibre look vinyl from sign shop. I trimed edges of both out and looks pretty good I think. Depending how it all handles heat and holds up it will be a easy change out with my harness setups I did if I find a different material or splurge for real CF later. I used one of Brent's shifters off SnF. Got to redo red darker in winter but I like itOld dash 89 XB02.jpg IMG_0573.JPG IMG_0572.JPG IMG_0574.JPG IMG_0243.JPG Anyway here are pics so far.

Reactions: Jed

XB03AllyProud

Thanks Hirk, I was inspired by a beautiful 03 we both once owned. I still got a lot to do but some will be spread out, now I'm just trying to get it in the water for a few runs before I get in hunting mode.

80sDude

This was my Father n laws baby that he ordered new and I finally talked him out of it last fall. I tried for years to buy it as it sat in his shop forever-10 yrs since it had been in the water. I always figured it had no more than 150 hrs in the water. He rigged it with a '89 XP175. He had limiters removed, couple minor tweaks and Bobs did a Bigfoot on lower. It was dam quick and ran great for a JohnRude, plus He could air it out. In Central Tx back then he hurt a lot of feelings at local lake and even some of our SDBA friends testing/tuning their squirt boats.
Anyway, I got it, sold the 175 and sold my Prosport keeping my 225 PM. Have a lot going on work, working to finish house etc but finally getting close to having her rigged again. Wish I took more before pics before I started but it is in really great original condition with exception of keel it has sandbar rocking showing a bit.
Big thing it need was stripping out the dash and OMC harness shifter and gauges which was a minimal set. I have added AutoMeter Monster series Carbon Fibre face GPS speedo and 8k Tach w/ recall switch in the console and then the same series of temp, pressure, volts and fuel level along with Stainless Marines dual trim/ jackplate indicator. I made all new harnesses for everything with plugs off the main Merc harness, so I can pull the console off quick easy just unplugging 1 plug for the GPS and Tach. Same for dash gauges-they have a plug on their harness so if i need to pull them out, Kill switch, etc. I labeled everything before covering and tie wrapping the plastic loom over it all for neat clean organized install. I did same with the dual Pro-Trim blinker switches for the trim and jackplate- neat clean covered and plugged in to respective wires from the back.
Couple things took some thinking and modifying as in the dual rack steering. I had to make a 1-1/4" spacer to bring the wheel and blinker switches out further to clear volt gauge on right of column. The cast aluminum steering piece that bolts to dash that I had to space out further had to be notched and blinker metal frame opened up to fit recessed into the aluminum so the steering wheel was all normal. The old black plastic dash had a time warp going on so I got some plexiglass and made a new one and same thing for console. Console design and the 2 holes he had wouldn't work for the Monster GPS/ Tach so 1/4" thick plexiglass that extends down further was cut and then both it and dash covered in Carbon Fibre look vinyl from sign shop. I trimed edges of both out and looks pretty good I think. Depending how it all handles heat and holds up it will be a easy change out with my harness setups I did if I find a different material or splurge for real CF later. I used one of Brent's shifters off SnF. Got to redo red darker in winter but I like itView attachment 10848 View attachment 10849 View attachment 10851 View attachment 10852 View attachment 10853 Anyway here are pics so far.
Very nice for sure

XB03AllyProud

IMG_20160806_152330.jpg Yes it is, anxious to finish boat and get to start using it. The shifters come raw and I sent to powder coater. Got to redo it though, too red. I took console over and we thought we picked a maroon powder but when I got it back it was red.

Still got several things to do to finish boat, mainly get my PH back from Jay Smith. Couple weeks ago while changing injectors and checking reeds I found a issue I didn't like so sent it down to Jay. Excited about that, hated to spend the money now but I always wanted to have him do his work on it.

I found out last week from Bill when ordering more stuff that boat is actually a Comp/Pro and not a Tournament as FIL always said. Plus he always said it was Porsche Red even though it looks maroon. Bill confirmed Maroon. I got a second bucket and new cover coming from Bill so I will have 2 inline. Plus have the 2 fold down seats that came with it.

Got all the wiring redone and cleaned up, each area-console, dash, dual blinker levers etc all plug into main harness separately. If I need to pull console off just in unplug it, need to pull or work on anything else I can just unplug that sub harness from the main harness. Got a HDS7 Touch LSS in it now but still undecided on transducers locations. I made a skid plate and got some pics I need to post later for comments. Never see pics here of mounting locations on XB02's. I'm coming down to rally in June and will likely still be in breakin mode on PH so I may mount them as I was thinking and get feedback from everyone at rally on what would be better. Since top end won't be a consideration for some time my locations may be ok for now.

I got gas tank totally cleaned and spotless, pulled & verified pick up is all good. So end of March get the PH back and I will be finishing it up in just a few hours. Work keeps me gone 2-3 weeks a month, so that's where I say probably still be double oiling Rally time.

Here's pic with Console buffed and new Allison emblem. Its coming together, slowly but worth the time.

XB03AllyProud

Thanks for the picture. That's well up out of harms way. I'm probably going to end up similar mounting, and get a puck for the tray so I get something when at least up to 50mph or so if possible. I got them planned for underside of skidplate right now but know its not best for maintaining cleanest prop water. Anyone else got 02 transducer pictures? Post em up please. Particularly lowrance LSS and the standard one.

XB03AllyProud

IMG_0945.JPG Well a lot happened since last post. Found a connecting rod issue when putting spare clean injectors in and checking reeds so my 225PM went south to Jay Smith for his rebuild and lake mods. I got lucky and the only damage was to the connecting rod itself but I had him punch it out 15 over and new pistons top pinned, hi-po bearings and all else he does so well. In all that process my Dad had to have open heart and did not recover so March took the life and drive out of me till last week when I got the PH back on and fired it up for the 1st time for me. Jay had some run time on it before I picked it up though. He does a excellent job in building, communicating, sending pictures and video as well as praying for us the 20 days Dad fought to recover. I can't say enough good about my dealings with Jay. I know a lot of guys, some here that are well capable builders so not slighting anyone. Just met Jay many years ago and always wanted one of his builds so it worked out well. I had a cabin reserved for Rally before all this happened so had to cancel, but next year it's on. Here are a couple pics of the project to date. Still got a couple items before she gets wet and start break in but next time home from work it begins.

Attachments

David chris corr

So sorry to hear about your Dad,,I'm sure he was a fine man,,,glad to see you got your motor back from Jay,,,GL with everything

XB03AllyProud

Thanks much for the kind words. Yep I'm ready to start breakin on motor and get on the water again. I missed all of last year for 1 reason or another while working on this boat. Been 3 years since the motor was run on the XB03 I had before this 02.

dubmoney

Roy,

I just got a 3d lowrance structure scan transducer. Can you post a picture of what you ended up with?

XB03AllyProud

Whit, I haven't found or decided on a good mount yet. Got to get some hrs on setup to know. Right now LSS is on port side of flat skid planner type plate approx. 4' above bottom of pad. I'm at work and be end of week before I'm home, but again I'm not happy yet with my setup. Need dam winter to leave so I can get finished breaking in motor. Only have 4.5 hrs on it. Plus a lot more knowledgeable guys than me on those setups. Hope it all goes better for you this year, be careful with those cold temps on your new build.