What's a decent gps graph for up front?

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got an old garmin graph up front and a garmin 430s in the console. Looking at gps graphs for up front and there are so many choices. Not looking for side imaging or anything fancy, just something easy to see and works well. It gets old walking back behind the console to look at the map to see where I'm at. Thanks. :gone fishing

Last edited:

bassracr

Actually, what's your take on this unit if I could get it for $250?

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Elite/Elite5DSI-en-us.aspx
I got one of these a couple years ago . Haven't spent a whole lot of time with it, but I seemed to be a good value and I am satisfied with it . It does like to turn off unexpectedly if you smack a few waves or in rough water . I have read I am not the only one experiencing this. The picture is different from standard sonar.. Fish don't show up as arches . In your application these things should not be an issue basically sitting still . The screen is very detailed . Overall I am well satisfied for $ spent .

GotMyAlly

The imaging technology is good for locating structure & cover, but I'd want traditional sonar for locating fish.

fnshrmaster

The imaging technology is good for locating structure & cover, but I'd want traditional sonar for locating fish.
I agree, I use the old fashioned sonar to find fish. The imaging is really cool though, downed trees and structure are very detailed. How did they catch fish 25 years ago?

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was wondering about the imaging. I've read some reviews and that unit appears to be hit and miss.

SLOmofo

How did they catch fish 25 years ago?
Same way hook and line. :big grin
Fish are Fish.
I still have 3 paper chart recorders, one is a early unit that has depth scale under the cover, before they printed the depth out on the paper( love that smell) had only 1 roll of paper in it. Also one of the first Humming Bird LCD's

GotMyAlly

Fish are fish, but the anglers are getting smarter (and more of 'em). Like any animal, I think the fish become conditioned to certain presentations.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is still usually about finding structure. Way back in time, when I got my Lowrance Green Box it proved that the places I caught fish in the past were on good structure. I found the 'good spots' with a lot of trial and error along with some luck before I got the depth finder. :)

SLOmofo

Fish are fish, but the anglers are getting smarter (and more of 'em). Like any animal, I think the fish become conditioned to certain presentations.
True very true, Casitas and Castaic here were/are highly pressured and heavily fished sometimes gin clear lakes. Fish knew the lure and color #s. Split shot to Trout baits were originated there. I liked to fish a 6" straight tail hand pour on a 1/16 oz dart head 5lb Max or 6lb Yamamoto floro carbon. 0 to 70' or one of our better wins 18' over 26' cast it out count it down shake it back s l o w l y ! Or maybe a 1 1/4 oz foot ball with a Yamaota Hula Grub , bump and grind.

Thinking about it makes me want to buy a fishing license this year and start fishing again.

SLOmofo

It is still usually about finding structure. Way back in time, when I got my Lowrance Green Box it proved that the places I caught fish in the past were on good structure. I found the 'good spots' with a lot of trial and error along with some luck before I got the depth finder. :)
Lots of trial and error but that made you observe, think and feel/see. Wonder if the Humming Bird flasher clock still works? Think I'll go plug it in.

cj707

Definitely get one with 2d. If you want down imaging get a combo unit, but DI and SI are more efficient on the back. I would HIGHLY recommend H-bird over Lowrance

Allyfishing

Brian I think you would be happy with this unit:

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Fishfinder-Chartplotter/Elite-4-HDI-en-us.aspx

It gives excellent traditional sonar with down scan view and charting all on one screen. it's not a big screen obviously but for your fishing it would be a great unit.

traditional sonar will show you arches and bait balls etc. the down scan will show you what the traditional screen is showing at the same time as well as a better detailed view of what the bottom actually looks like. A tree looks like a tree, a stump looks like a stump etc.

And or course, your chart with contours etc.is right there.

john w

I had a elite 5 sonar and GPS and loved it. It worked great all the time.

90 5.0

Definitely get one with 2d. If you want down imaging get a combo unit, but DI and SI are more efficient on the back. I would HIGHLY recommend H-bird over Lowrance
I highly recommend Lowrance over Hummingbird....

Actually it's all user preference both brands are good at somethings and better at certain things than the other.

The elite 7 hdi is a great unit for the front, but it might be more than you are looking for.

What's your budget?

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would HIGHLY recommend H-bird over Lowrance
Why's that? Just wondering your opinion.

Brian I think you would be happy with this unit:

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Fishfinder-Chartplotter/Elite-4-HDI-en-us.aspx

It gives excellent traditional sonar with down scan view and charting all on one screen. it's not a big screen obviously but for your fishing it would be a great unit.

traditional sonar will show you arches and bait balls etc. the down scan will show you what the traditional screen is showing at the same time as well as a better detailed view of what the bottom actually looks like. A tree looks like a tree, a stump looks like a stump etc.

And or course, your chart with contours etc.is right there.
Now that looks like it's right up my alley.

I highly recommend Lowrance over Hummingbird....

What's your budget?
Why's that? All opinions appreciated. Looking to stay in the $300ish range and would prefer used if I found something worthwhile.

Thanks!

90 5.0

Pro's for Lowrance, imo

1. Much better 2d image
2. More elaberate/customizable set-up
3. better mapping/gps
4. better downscan

Cons of lowrance

1. Set-up can be more complex and confusing for some
2. Will no longer accept lakemaster cards(since hummingbird bought them out)
????
3. older HDS do not have interanal SI/DI need external box(lss-1/2)

Pros for HB

1. less elaborate set-up, easier for some to get going
2. si in shallower water casts image farther(not that you can tell what anything is in 2' of water on si LOL

Cons

1. Less customizable, fewer options
2. horrid 2d
less hot keys, takes more "menu" pushes to get to settings

In your budget i'd find a used hds 5( i would look real hard for a 7 at a good deal actually but the 5 is good too), and later get a used lss-1 module down the road if you desire it.

Just a real quick dirty list on things that have stood out to me over the years.

2 of my fishing partners HAD hummingbird si/di combo graphs on their boats(798/998 hd's) and BOTH of them switched to lowrance after fishing with me a bunch.

I used to hate fishing out of their boats and having to hit 1000 menu keys to manipulate the screens the way we needed.

But many people do prefer birds, it's like chevy vs ford both are good, just depends on what you want to get out of your units.

cj707

Brian, I've had lowrance since the 80's. After fighting absolutely horrible customer service a few years ago, I switched to h-bird. Boy have I been happy. SI and DI are amazing. Much easier to set up an change on the fly. And the customer service is excellent. The mapping is better, and I haven't seen any problem with 2D.