XB 2003 Yamaha 2.6 setup

Jay Martin

I have/getting a 1995 xb 2003 center steer, my question is The boat has a 12inch manual plate with a 1997 225 promax and 24v trolling motor.

I will be installing a 36v tm with GatorII spring mount (more weight) and a Yamaha 2.6l (260hp) about 429lb's.

I have a T-H Marine hydraulic with bobs 2inch spacers for a total of 8inch's of setback that I would like to use in the place of the 12inch manual.

What if any problems would this create by knocking off 4inch's of setback?

Thanks, Jay

pickwickangler

I am pretty sure the 95's take less set back than the later models. If it were me I would keep the promax and the 24v troller. A strong 24 volt will be more than you could ever want in a ally. I run 24v with a two battery set up to cut down on weight and space. Kinda on your own with the yamaha and just have to figure out what works best for you. I wouldn't want to go less than 8 with a 429 pound motor. A promax with a hydraulic plate is gonna weigh over 400. If you do run a really heavy troller then you may try the 12" set back before you take it off.

Jay Martin

The promax does not come with the deal, or the trolling motor so I'm kinda starting from scratch..Only reason why I like the power of the 36v is because I fish in some pretty strong current on the Mississippi river.

Darth VMAX

Jay, I have a XB2002 Comp Pro (825-850 lbs) and have pretty much the same exact motor as you except mine weighs a little more due to the TRP Lower I have on it. I run a 10" CMC Hyd plate and have a 24V Motorguide. It sits and handles really good and has more than I need with the TM. In fact I have wanted to drop to a 12v 55lb thrust MK to eliminate a battery. IMO I would think you could be at 10-12" set-back and be OK. AS far as a troller I would think the strongest 24v would be adequate (80 lb thrust?) These Allisons don't need a lot to move them

Jay Martin

Jay, I have a XB2002 Comp Pro (825-850 lbs) and have pretty much the same exact motor as you except mine weighs a little more due to the TRP Lower I have on it. I run a 10" CMC Hyd plate and have a 24V Motorguide. It sits and handles really good and has more than I need with the TM. In fact I have wanted to drop to a 12v 55lb thrust MK to eliminate a battery. IMO I would think you could be at 10-12" set-back and be OK. AS far as a troller I would think the strongest 24v would be adequate (80 lb thrust?) These Allisons don't need a lot to move them
That is alot of troller I do know that, If you fish around rock dykes on the Mississippi river you would understand the need for more power, some of the current could be as much as 8-10 mph coming around the ends and sometimes 107 lb thrust is not enough. The boat that this was on weighed 1150lbs, Allison says the XB2003 is 1140-1180lb's. I have it sitting at 8.5 inchs for now. my next step would be 12inch's with what I have to use.

Last edited:

The Cashew Kid

If you fish around rock dykes on the Mississippi river you would understand the need for more power
Guarantee ya that! Been there and done that. When we get caught in that current coming around the end we just put our stuff down, pick up the troller and crank up the big motor, because by then we already 1/4 mile away.:razz

Jay Martin

Just wanted to post an update on my setup..
I started at 8.5 inchs back and the boat really didn't handle very well. Moved it back to 10.5 inchs and man what a change. She settled down and was much more friendly, I have only gotten up tp 85.1 gps with a bone stock Turbo TXP ot-4 30p, Except the blades are almost razor sharp and rebalanced. Still getting the feel of things.