Xb03 175 faststrike questions

Joel

So I bought a 1997 xb03 with a 98my 175 faststrike at the beginning of this summer and have been trying to get it figured out, when I bought it it had the stock gearcase and I changed it out to a lightning case(l1) off a 225ho ficht I believe and that made it handle somewhat better, I also tried to distribute weight around the boat as best I could to make it stable and I'm running high 60's quite easily (I've seen as high as 69 but 67 is pretty common) I'm turning a 25p renegade bass at about 5600-5800, keep in mind this is with the trolling motor and all three batteries and all the other stuff I keep in the boat(life jackets, anchor, tacklebox...).
I believe the motor is a little tired by now being 18 years old but I'm just wondering if that seems like a reasonable speed or if I should be going faster, also I'm planning to build a 225 ocean runner into a bit of a race motor(porting, planing the heads, possibly build a 16" midsection...).

Thanks in advance for any tips.

hirk

Mine would run 78-79 solo with a 150 mariner, 26 hoss hyperdrive and a coned lower. Tm, 3 batteries, gas and gear. For the prop your running and that gearcase 69 is good, a coned lower you can run higher and a 27 srx prop would gain you a few more mph

Joel

Mine would run 78-79 solo with a 150 mariner, 26 hoss hyperdrive and a coned lower. Tm, 3 batteries, gas and gear. For the prop your running and that gearcase 69 is good, a coned lower you can run higher and a 27 srx prop would gain you a few more mph
Ok that's good to know, I have plans to fix some gelcoat chips on the bottom this winter, hopefully, along with a new motor and I was planning on keeping that gearcase. How much faster would I expect to see with a nose cone and how do they affect handling. Also I noticed the back two inches of the centre pad on the boat seems to have a hook built into it, has anybody ever tried to flatten it out.

Joel

I have a 27SRX I will sell you for 300.00
Thanks but I'm probably only gonna use it 1-2 more times this year and next year I should have different motor, and I think I may have tried an srx already or something similar in a 26p and I didn't like it, only got about 60mph and I don't like the way they slip out of the hole.

Joel

How high can you run your motor now before you run out of water pressure (with the lightning case)?
I'd have to take a measurement and see where it is right now, I know it's not much higher than it was before but it trims out much further so I can actually get the nose up... I didn't use it much before changing the case but I don't think the previous owner really knew what he was doing(not that I know everything either) he even had the tilt pin in hole number 6 so it wouldn't go below 1/4 trim, made for terrible hole shots. I also ground some bigger groves into the case leading up to the water intakes to help the water follow the lines in, that helped quite a bit.

GotMyAlly

If it's stuck a couple inches below the pad, it's holding you back. Low water pickup to allow you to run up near 1/2" below the pad would free it up a lot. Will also improve handling, too.

Lakeman (Allison)

So I bought a 1997 xb03 with a 98my 175 faststrike at the beginning of this summer and have been trying to get it figured out, when I bought it it had the stock gearcase and I changed it out to a lightning case(l1) off a 225ho ficht I believe and that made it handle somewhat better, I also tried to distribute weight around the boat as best I could to make it stable and I'm running high 60's quite easily (I've seen as high as 69 but 67 is pretty common) I'm turning a 25p renegade bass at about 5600-5800, keep in mind this is with the trolling motor and all three batteries and all the other stuff I keep in the boat(life jackets, anchor, tacklebox...).
I believe the motor is a little tired by now being 18 years old but I'm just wondering if that seems like a reasonable speed or if I should be going faster, also I'm planning to build a 225 ocean runner into a bit of a race motor(porting, planing the heads, possibly build a 16" midsection...).

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Well I bought my 97 2003 I had a 175 Johnson FasTrak never been touched the lower unit had a comb on it I ran 80 - 82 miles per hour with I work 28 Ranker solo with my fishing gear tank of gas 3 batteries trolling motor.

Joel

Thanks for the advice guys I think I'll try and cone the case for next summer, I'm really excited to see how fast j can get this thing with a good motor and after fixing some of the previous owners damage, is there any other upgrades or modifications I should do to try and increase performance, I don't have a skid planer as of yet but I'd like to build one this winter aswell, any thoughts on how well they work...