XB03 setup help

jdb35

Ok guys this is what I have got. I am running an XB03 with a stock 225 promax, cle lower unit with a Hoss 30 pitch hyperdrive prop. I am currently running the propshaft approximately one quarter inch below the pad. The boat chime walks extremely bad at about 70 mph. This is frustrating to me because I am only turning about 5500 rpm when it gets so ill handling that I get out of it. I have a lot of throttle left that I can't use. I have the ride glide cable steering and at high speeds it gets extremely stiff and almost impossible to turn. A nose cone is in the plans this fall, but I really think something is not right in my setup. I run 14" of setback. Am I too high on the jackplate? Any suggestions would be very helpful to me. Thanks in advance.
Jeff

DragAlly02

I am not a Pro at set up by any means , But from hearing others the CLE Might be your issue..Contact Chad202 Hes on fast bass as well and he has a 2003 thats set up extremly well from what I hear.. very Helpful and nice guy as well

Mike

bassracr

if the boat is new to you..even if it is set up properly..,you will experience chine walking somewhere around those speeds, as the boat is lifting and getting on to the pad. the cure is seat time, and learning the proper steering input required to keep it balanced on the pad at speed. (no one wants to hear this, because we are all great drivers :) if your steering is stiff while the boat is on the trailer ..i would suggest searching this forum for a steering cable luber, and lube your cables. you should be able to turn your wheel lock to lock with one stiff finger. if not, lube your cables. next you should check your cable adjustment to make sure you don't have any slop in your cables..again search the forum for adjustment procedures. this should get you to the mid or upper 80s " after learning to drive the boat" ..the next step would be to send your lower unit to bobs, or another qualified shop and have the skeg cut, install a torque tamer, and put a nose cone on.. to be able to drive it comfortably into the 90s. if your steering is nice and free.. until you get to speed,..... the cut skeg ,and torque tamer will eliminate that problem. maybe someone else can chime in, if there is anything i missed.. hope this helps

P.s i could lie to you and tell you its because of that crappy new prop you got ,and i would take it off your hands REAL cheap...but i wont, you will love it when you get things sorted out :)

Last edited:

xb2003

How close are you too Mobile?
I'd be happy to help ya get the feel for it and check your set up.

jdb35

Stanton, this is Jeff, Paul's brother. I saw you in Miffin lake yesterday twice. My Allison is the white one with red wings. I bought my shifter from you.
Jeff

Lotus 50

You can already get to 70, cool. When I first got my SS, neither my brother nor I could get out of the 50's. I got the hang of it with time.

You should be careful with the CLE. Allison once published a set up book, the famous Little Red Book. The Red Book says blowout is more likely with CLEs.

GFinch

60ish is all I could get before the chine walking started. Lots of advice if you use the Search tab.

jdb35

I think I have one of my problems solved. One of the backup nuts on the steering tubes had came loose and caused the steering to be in a bind. Now the steering is free. Also have found a guy that can do nose cones in my area that is supposed to be very good. I will try to contact him this week and see if he can put a nose cone on for me. Just to let everyone know I have been driving this boat since July of last year with a 200 fishing motor. I bought this powerhead this past winter and it is a whole new ball game. This promax has power to spare compared to the stock 200. I was able to run it 73 mph yesterday rigged to fish with three people in the boat before I had to back out of it, I had plenty of throttle and rpm's left before it would even get close to the limiter. Thanks for all the advice, I will keep you updated.
Jeff

GFinch

Why don't you put the name up on here. You might get some input positive or negative. A mismatched or improperly done nose cone could be dangerous.
A word of warning, It's best to learn by your self then learn again with a passenger. Safety first, Clip it(kill switch) and zip it(life jacket) !

xb2003

Hey Jeff...sounds like you got a handle on things now you found your steering problem solved.
Thought that was your boat. Who had that 21 across from you? Never seen that boat before. I saw another 03 on the river. A boats were out sat.

jdb35

Stanton, I am going to get my nose coned soon now that I don't have to buy new steering. Who did yours? I saw that other Allison too, I think it had an OMC on back of it. You are right, it was hard to fish with so many boats in the water.

xb2003

It had a OMC...Must have came from Cenetry marine.

Tooters done my cone...It was around 200.00

hurry up and get it the cone done man...We need to all get together and burn some gas.

jdb35

OK guys, I ran my boat again this weekend. I can run in the mid 70's before it starts to wash the stickers really bad. I have the lower unit off of it right now and it is going to JC's Monday for him to work his majic on. Freeing up the steering really made a difference but I still think I am off on my setup. It will be at least three weeks before I am free to run it again. I hope the nosecone works, also I am looking for a good used seastar pro hydraulic steering system if anyone has one.
Jeff

jdb35

My brother H2Oskier and I installed a brand new Seastar Pro hydraulic steering system in my boat this afternoon. I am amazed at the difference this makes with the steering. You can steer the boat with one finger. My lower unit is at JC's having a nose cone added and letting him work his majic. The only problem I have right now is no time to go and run the boat once my lower unit gets back next week. It will be at least two more weeks before I get a day off. With all the mods and money spent, I hope I have a good driving mid nineties boat when I am finished.

whipper

My brother H2Oskier and I installed a brand new Seastar Pro hydraulic steering system in my boat this afternoon. I am amazed at the difference this makes with the steering. You can steer the boat with one finger. My lower unit is at JC's having a nose cone added and letting him work his majic. The only problem I have right now is no time to go and run the boat once my lower unit gets back next week. It will be at least two more weeks before I get a day off. With all the mods and money spent, I hope I have a good driving mid nineties boat when I am finished.
Make sure you messure your propshaft hight the right way as described in the many threads on this in the search function. When ya get your new gearcase on with the hydrolics the feeling will be differant and better. If you leave your propshaft hight around 1/4 inch below youll be in a good spot for learning the feel to not chine walk. Takes some time and just back off when ya start walking because you wont recover any way then start again and again. Bring her to 60-65 with the foot mashed then bump the trim onece or twice till ya fly and little steering movments. Back off slow when ya chinewalk then do it again. Make sure your balanced before ya try any off this or it will be that much harder to feel the right feel. Theres topics on counter wieghting and battery placement on this also in the search function. Youll get it just takes time. Then youll wonder how it took so long to get it because it will be second nature strait and true from now on.:beer: