XTB 21 with a 250 XS Optimax

Del Allison

Probationary User
Does this work? I know the XTB is rated to only about 150-200 hp, but I want to amp the XTB up. If I put the 250 XS on there, I would anticipate the weight in the stern to be too much (1 starter battery, 2 trolling battery, gas tank, and oil tank and a 500 lb engine). Has anyone done something similar? I just don't want to get swamped on takeoff, deceleration or 1 foot rollers. Also, if the butt is too heavy, couldn't I just move the 2 trolling motor batteries up to the bow compartment? That would be about 200+ lbs of weight transferrence (100 pounds off the stern, and the same 100 lbs now added to the bow). Any input would be great.

Darth VMAX

Yes, There have been 3.0L Opti's riged on the XTB's. I am sure the standard of load shift and bringing the set-back in would still apply. Before going to a Bullet we had a member here that had a 250xs on his XTB-21 and he liked it alot.

john w

I would put the starter battery up in the front, sounds like it would be a great combo.

PROXTB

I have an 89' XTB and the previous owner had a 250XS on it and he said the boat perfromed fine. 10" set back with floatation in the jackplate cavity. He ran a 28" modified Bravo in the low 90's.Three trolling batteries in the back with a three bank charger. The trolling motor is a 109lb thrust MG.
I presently have a 225 PM and I am looking to upgrade HP here in the near future. I should just leave it alone but the boat is slow compared to what I am used to, So I am thinking of going to an 2003. My two cents

aaronmt

The xtb is not slow in any strecth of the word.If they had made different caps on that hull id be a allison onwer still.The extra foot is huge in bigger water and is 3 liter friendly.From what Bill says its quicker on plane the most of them.I wouldn't doubt that at all eaither.I ran Octanes 89 xtb with a bone stock 94 150promax to 84.7.I actualy think there is a bit more left if there had been more water to run in.That's about the fastest 21ft boat with a 16yr old 150 hangin on the back I've seen.