XTB front Livewell

Ocktane

Hey again everyone. I'm gonna start fishing tournaments so as you'll see by some of my threads, I'm trying to get my XTB ready to go. I put up a thread once before about my aerator that I cannot locate in my boat (you'd think I'd be able to find it). Anyhow this is about the front livewell itself. So with the valves open the rear livewell fills and works fine, I can run that aerator and the water pours in as its suppose to. How does the front one work? With the valves open it only gets a little water in it. Is it just a matter of closing the front valve and running that aerator(if i can find it) until it fills? I'm assuming then the water just overflows into a drain?:idiot, haha, please enlighten me!

bc's xtb21

My xtb is an '89 and the front livewell works as you said close off the valve then turn pump on, it will fill and spill into the overflow. As far as the pump location both of mine (front and rear) are located towards the middle of the hull you can access them by removing the tray in the middle console then stick your head in as far as possible. As I remember they are FUN to reach to replace and replumb!

Ronnie

I have a 89 xtb also.I added a pump in both livewells.They just recyle the water in the livewells,they don't draw water from the lake.The pumps that came with the boat only draw outside water if the valves are open.If left open while going to the way in they will drain the livewells.While i'm fishing I use the stock pumps,valves open.When I'm done i close the valves and run the new pumps.

Ocktane

So upon closer inspection I've discovered a few things. First and foremost I know why I couldn't find the second pump... it doesn't exist, haha! I traced the fill line from the front livewell and found an open ended hose in the center bilge well beside the rear aerator. From there I can see another line headed aft (I'll take some pics and post) I'm thinkin' its going to be as simple as buying an aerator and installing it in that line. I hope so, but we shall see. I'll keep ya all posted. Now I just have to pull the back battery that I have mounted to see the rest. I think both fill lines tap from a common aftermarket suction line that comes thru the hull above the pad beside the bilge drain and livewell drain. Hopefully that line is enough to support two aerator suctions. Looking at what you said Ronnie, it looks like mine is set up to pull water from the lake. I'm pretty happy that I'm figuring this out but at the same time I feel like I missed a very obvious problem!:idiot:cuss

Last edited:

Ocktane

Anyone see a problem in running one large pump discharging to both livewells? I only have one suction line from the outside of the boat and I was thinking I could tap that into one pump and then split the discharge to both livewells. I was thinking a Rule tournament series pump with 1600 gph disch. Any thoughts? I figured it would save wiring and whatnot. I was also curious there Ronnie. What recirc pumps did you go with? And how did you install them? Inside the livewells or outside?

Last edited:

Ronnie

I'll look tomorrow but i think they were kits from bass-pro shops.I'll take pics of how i installed the pumps.

Ocktane

I finished setting up my livewells! I have one dual discharge 800 gph fill pump supplying both livewells. I Then installed a seperate 500 gph pump on each livewell to recirc them once they are full or when the boat is on plane. Attwood pumps btw. Pretty happy to have a fully functional bass boat now! Ready just in time for my first tourney on Saturday!