Hi guys

Igetwet

How many out there know someone who’s gotten hurt with an Allison that had too heavy of a motor? Not just hearsay

The supporting facts that wouldn’t of happened with a 225 or 260 or 280 etc?

Is it better to run a boat with a big motor slow not near the brink, or a boat with a smaller motor fast on the brink? (rhetorical question)

scj

How many out there know someone who’s gotten hurt with an Allison that had too heavy of a motor? Not just hearsay

The supporting facts that wouldn’t of happened with a 225 or 260 or 280 etc?

Is it better to run a boat with a big motor slow not near the brink, or a boat with a smaller motor fast on the brink? (rhetorical question)
Your boat, your money but if you’re going to run that engine, set it up properly to run. Hydrotek is the best resource for using a Yamaha.
A GS is not a fishing boat so it’s lighter with only one battery so not much weight to lose except running a lithium battery. Don’t run a hydraulic or multi plate adjustable jackplate. Find the lightest fixed plate you can. I don’t exactly remember the weight of my SHO with the sportmaster gear case but I think it was 535 with prop so it’s not a total pig. Just be responsible and do it right.

scj

I ran a 280 on my XR 2002 and that boat would swamp horribly if you were not careful coming off plane. Was the engine too heavy?. I don’t know but that setup would run 115 mph with 2 people in the boat like it was nothing! Setup, setup, setup! Get it right and enjoy.

Lotus 50

My semi informed view is that the bigger engines are more likely to hook due to the non ratcheting gear cases, and more likely to roll while hooking due to the weight.

That said, power is useful. You can get the same speed with a lower, safer, propshaft height with more power.

I don’t know anything about Yamaha gearcases or engine mounts. But assuming a reasonable case and mounts, the SHO might be fine until you chase those last couple of mph. Which I don’t do with my 200XS/sportmaster/SS2000