14 Ally

msharp

I had a 140 OMCEZER on one . And had a J block power of tower . Back a FEW years back . LOL makes a good fishin boat !

Paul

What did you get for top speed? How tough were they to handle?

TBuck2003

What did you get for top speed? How tough were they to handle?
15' would be better suited for that power , but a 14 footer will do it with the proper set up. Battery up front or some weight, and LESS than 2" of set back and the bow will take a nice set. The 14'er has a flared bow and will pack some air, and pucker your butt... You will run a roughly 13" diameter cleaver only no BOW lifting round ears and you will have a LOT of fun. BTW with a standard non LWP case roughly put it at 1/2" below pad. Enjoy !!!!

Paul

Not to sound stupid but are you talking centerline of propshaft 1/2 in below the pad or the water pickup?

Paul

I have a panther trim plate I was going to use but It's 7 inches of set back. Sounds like that would kill me. I have an 85 merc and an old 63 1000 merc that are in my garage to use also. I just really wanted to try a V-4 on one. I am also saving my pennies for one of Larry Rs. new 13s. Is the 13 that much better of a boat to set up?

TBuck2003

I have a panther trim plate I was going to use but It's 7 inches of set back. Sounds like that would kill me. I have an 85 merc and an old 63 1000 merc that are in my garage to use also. I just really wanted to try a V-4 on one. I am also saving my pennies for one of Larry Rs. new 13s. Is the 13 that much better of a boat to set up?
14'er will carry those motors better than the 13' The 13' is a perfect MATCH for the 75 OMC 3 cylinder Stinger Motor with the short shaft and nitro case (Small case) My .02 is that the inline 6 is too much motor because of the weight up top !!!!

Paul

I thought that about the tower also. So if I get the 13 and put a hustler or stinger on it how do you keep them together? I've seen so many of them come apart.

87vantage

of all the smaller Allisons, which is the better boat? I realize its about the power you choose....but lets say the 13 vs the 14 with the 3 cyl ? and the 15 vs the 16 footer with a V4?

K.Kiser

The 16's are very nice too, and can run with a wise variety of engine but they to have a flared bow... If a 16' starts star gazing at high speed, it won't come down in any manner that your request.. I had a ported 2.5 Merc on a 360 lbs. 16'er and it was blast.. Very fun boat that revved and accelerated like a RC car, but I look back on it and that was a potentially dangerous combo.. Be it wind, unseen wave, trim, etc there was no room for an uninvited flighty bow once the throttle was opened..

I'd like to have a 14 with a 3 or 4 cyl too, gotta be a fun and very fuel efficient ride... The difference in those older smaller boats to what is popular now, is the driver really felt like he was wearing those old boats.. Mine had cable/pulley steering and it was a very one-on-one intimate contact with the boat.. If the boat needed a slight change in posture like a little side wind, you could compensate by leaning more weight on one side or another of your butt to level it out and still keep the gearcase and boat straight with one another... Like riding a strong 250cc 2-stroke dirtbike in terms of connectivity to the rig, just faster than the bike..