18 R Allison??

87vantage

Whats the story on the 18R Allison's? Looking for info on one I have found....This is not a bass model...closed bow.....Thanks

RedAllison

I've still got the '76 18R that was rescued from a trip to a landfill in Utah back in 2003. (Still needs full restoration but it's just sittin quietly in storage behind my deckboat and makes a good platform to lay the towables on. :smile )

They are the same style as the GT/R 13, 14, 15, 16 and 20s that were produced in the 70s. Like the 20s the benefit is the 18s are big enough to safely hold decent sized fuel tank and any V-6 you have the cods to hang on the back of it. In fact I was told (and you can see by the swiss cheese holes in the transom) that my 18 originally had cable/pulley steering and twin tower of power Mercs hangin on it for circle racing "back inda day". Supposed hull weight when new was in the mid/upper 300# range.

The boat is pretty unique, I've never seen or heard mention of more than a couple still known to exist. The hull is big enough to put a lake/pleasure use type of interior in like the GT20 or what I personally liked the idea of, a front/rear bucket with twin loungers along eachside like XR2002. I don't think you'd want to put anymore than 4 people in the boat but I'd feel safe with that many if you didn't have a huge fuel tank and alot of offset with a heavy motor.

I haven't discussed rigging ideas/recommendations with Darris much tho. I only brought it up with him a few years ago at a rally and he recommended NOT seperating the topcap from the hull during the rebuild. (Tho I don't think you could properly do it WITHOUT seperating the hull.)

I think Keith Holden is the only 18 owner listed on the homepage and he got into the mid/upper 70s with one of his hopped up V-4 SLOMCs. http://www.allisonowners.com/KeithHolden.html My idea for my rebuild changes daily, sometimes I think do the XR2002 kinda interior, hang a period correct inline 115/150 on it and let my boys play with it. Then on the other end of the spectrum I think put one 10 gallon tank in it, solo seat and hang a hopped up 15" ProMax or even a 260 on it and going for the insane. :twisted evil

You got any pics?
RA

87vantage

I dont have any pics yet...Heading to Pensacola to see it tomorrow hopefully...It most likely needs a little work to I would bet but it sounds like it would be a really cool boat to have....I cant believe theres not that much info on them out on the internet...I wish I knew how many were built and what happened to most of them .....The one you have sounds like it was the real deal in its day...I bet that was a handfull to drive ....I am hoping some other guys will come forward with more info and maybe even a few more pics! I couldnt see the pics of yours ....But I did notice we have the same addiction to the muscle cars....Nice Chevelle! I will keep you posted when I see the Ally!

87vantage

Well it turns out the boat was actually a Hydrostream...Go figure! I was getting excited about a cool project like that...Maybe another one will pop up somewhere....I kinda like the GT 20 as well!

Jim Bob

Hey Red,
I also have a 18R out back. Mine's a 1969 and the transom was partially sawzall'd out by the previous owner. Needs a total restore, but it's not so bad that it's not worth it. Got a friend with a real nice 1969 18R. I believe his is an unmolested/ original hull.
I just finished my 14R and takin it down to Norris over thanksgiving for test run. I need to work on getting the best prop for a 1987 Johnson 70hp on this one. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jim Bob

TBuck2003

OMC 13 spline 12x21,22 cleaver. Pretty tough to find but they do pop up every once in awhile. Roughly about a 1/2" below pad with the small nitro case. If it is the bigger case a lil deeper than that. That is the only prop worth a dang on that set up. Any ??? let me know,

TBuck

P.S. Red a 260 on the 18 is the plan Stan... Member?????

RedAllison

TBuck

P.S. Red a 260 on the 18 is the plan Stan... Member?????
:gasp Now there you go again tryin to get me in all kindsa trouble, I do quite well on my own I sure don't need my buds helpin me get into anymore trouble!!! Not sure how many more 100mph swan dives I got left in me. :help

Yeah THATS what "WE" need on my 18 aint it? A Mr. Thomized 260 and a superlight 18... I supposed YOU gonna drive it as well huh??? :twisted evil Hmmm maybe me and Jeffros record on my lake WONT stand afterall...

JimBob I sent you a pm, Todd is the go-to guru on the rig you asked about. :beer:
RA

andre

87 I looked at a GT20 today in Metter GA it had a 235 omc on it . The boat was at a small engine repair shop in town .I dont know if it could be bought , but could try and findout for you. Boat looks like it has been repainted red and white.The Allison decals were missing but i knew what it was even passing on the road. Stopped and had a look, it needs TLC but it was definitely a GT20.

Jimxb02

Red,

If you think a 260 is too much ; I would suggest a 1250BP stacker. It would be close to a period correct restore. But, probably hard to find. Or plan "B" ... any V6 merc and put a
1750XS decal on it. Or better yet, find a real 1750XS . I saw that 18 at the rally in July
and there was enough left of the core to make it possible to bring back to life. Good luck
with whatever you decide to do with it.

Jim

TBuck2003

Red,

If you think a 260 is too much ; I would suggest a 1250BP stacker. It would be close to a period correct restore. But, probably hard to find. Or plan "B" ... any V6 merc and put a
1750XS decal on it. Or better yet, find a real 1750XS . I saw that 18 at the rally in July
and there was enough left of the core to make it possible to bring back to life. Good luck
with whatever you decide to do with it.

Jim
My favorite of all time is that Stacker motor either the 1250 or 1350. People that have not heard em' just don't get it or cannot fathom the noise... Those things are worth more now, than a Nuke to Al Queda ... But that would be a killer motor.

TBuck

TBuck2003

:gasp Now there you go again tryin to get me in all kindsa trouble, I do quite well on my own I sure don't need my buds helpin me get into anymore trouble!!! Not sure how many more 100mph swan dives I got left in me. :help

Yeah THATS what "WE" need on my 18 aint it? A Mr. Thomized 260 and a superlight 18... I supposed YOU gonna drive it as well huh??? :twisted evil Hmmm maybe me and Jeffros record on my lake WONT stand afterall...

JimBob I sent you a pm, Todd is the go-to guru on the rig you asked about. :beer:
RA
Amen son bring it on !!!!!!