1974 15' Allison

jmccauley

Sorry, misprint, 14' Allison not 15'!

Here's a superlight boat I owned briefly in 1981, raced/won with it twice in 1982 in APBA then sold it. The boat was owned/raced in NOA by Bunny Goldston, George Laycock remembers the day it arrived new in Wilmington, N.C. Last fall my son Hans and I became aware that the boat still existed in the Houston area. We bought it back in Dec. 2010 for the price of the good Dilly trailer it sat on. All the wood was rotten. Hans and my old friend Darrell Beaulier restored the boat. We picked up a 1979 Stinger 75 with bad powerhead. I had my spare 1975 powerhead in our garage all these years, with scored +.020" cylinders. We rebored and got +.030" pistons from Sea-Way. Aside from a .060" milled head (my NOA head) the motor is stock.

The boat ran 65 mph/6500 RPM set up for closed course in 1982 with the first 12x23 OMC prop I'd made in Louis Baumann's shop in 1978. I sold that prop years ago, but to whom? I recently obtained and reworked two props for our restored May Fly III, with moderate trim the rig runs 64.7mph with me @ 6500 RPM. Trimmed under a bit it runs 6600-6700 RPM with Hans, who weighs about 140 lb, a good EP weight.

Without Darrell's help and guidance the restoration would have been impossible. Also, I called Darris to get advice, which included building a frame to prevent the bottom from warping once the wood was out. We cheated, used paint stick shims and 2x4s on the trailer, but were lucky. We used treated plywood (maybe a mistake, Paul told me this summer he never got glass to bond to treated plywood!) and clegicell ordered from Darris. We also bought a new seat. When we straightedged the bottom it looked very good. It still had my primer and added lift strakes from 1982!
We're running the motor 21 1/8" high with a 2x4 offset. I ran the motor
21 3/4" high with that offset in 1982 but Hans is learning to drive, so it's detuned a bit. I did recall the pitch distribution I'd built in 1978, so with my old Rundquist pitch gauge I was able to reproduce the required prop fairly well, although we're still looking for a good OMC 12 (or more)x23 with fairly full blade area and originally-cast cup so that I can trim and repitch it to duplicate the 1978 prop better. We're running with a thrust block, no trim, as in the old days. As a final note, the prop that ran best on this boat did not run best on my 13' Allison (The Gambler), and vice-versa. The Gambler ran 67 mph with my weight set up for APBA closed course, but May Fly III was a much better rough water boat. Both boats had the added lift strakes, which improved acceleration, top speed, and turning. No one could turn inside those boats, and I could turn inside anything else with them.

I should add that this boat belongs to Hans, who is 19. We kept the original name, May Fly III.

We're running 19 degree timing, same as in 1977. With that and the milled head, to avoid any overheating problems we mix 1 gal. of Sunoco leaded 110 octane with 5 gal. of pump 93 octane. A good 75 with stock head will pull 150+ psi compression, which is high for today's gas. We run Evinrude XD-100 or Red Line racing oil, both synthetic, @ 37:1. With TC-W3 we'd run 25:1. 50:1 is recommended only at 6000 RPM or less. Red Line's nice, smells like Castor oil with motor running.

Thanks,
Joe (and Hans K

Attachments

Last edited:

xskid

i have a 1976 14ft. ally that i restored a few years ago. just got 1974 j block merc 1500 done. will be at this years rally. love to see old allys. some pics of mercs.

Attachments

RedAllison

i have a 1976 14ft. ally that i restored a few years ago. just got 1974 j block merc 1500 done. will be at this years rally. love to see old allys. some pics of mercs.
WOW xs, that lil 14ftr should ROLLLLL with that ol 150 pushin it! :cuss

Like to see that run, :cool
RA

K.Kiser

I had a 16'er and brielfy had a warmed over 140 e-rude, it ran really well and handled so well it was nearly boring...

Just for reference sake, treated plywood can be bonded to completely but it has to be re-kiln dried wood made for resin and lamination... It brings the moisture content down to 12%-14% but the spore and mold inhibitors remain... Nice boat and project you got there, I'd like to take a spin it it..