1982 Allison XST 17 Rebuild & Questions

taylord95

Probationary User
My late grandfather purchased this boat new in I believe 83. It stayed in show room condition until his death.. He "step-son" with very questionable habits had the boat for around 6 months before I was able to get it. He was extremely and i mean EXTREMELY hard on it... and thats all ill say about that.... But i've got so many good memories with this boat Im going to save it. I finally got all the registration for the boat and trailer figured out and taken care of so thats all good. But where he kept it tied to the lake bank on a rock pile it put a crack in the hull right where the bottom of the transom turns under the boat... water got in and science took over and now the transom is rotten and the floor under the back hatches is rotten..... To make my long boring story a little shorter I need some tips on how to split the hull. If I can keep the rebuild under 3k-4k im happy. I have the boat under my shed and have already removed the rub rails and track. I'm going to have to wait until next weekend to pull the motor due to me not having a engine hoist at home. But i would like to go ahead and see if i can get any tips or information. Thank you

Attachments

taylord95

Probationary User
Alright after digging around a little on the fourms I've found that the hulls are glassed together. To me that sounds like a nightmare lol? I've read a few of the other XST threads on here but they are old and didnt really give alot of information about the splitting process. I did contact allison boats and was given a number for Todd Best which is the Production and repair manager at Allison. I'm only a hour and a half away from them which is pretty cool.

Freebird

Take it to Kevin Bryant at Smoky Mountain Boat Repair in Vonore. Not taking anything away from Allison, but you’ll spend less with Kevin, and the quality of the work will be the same.